Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: When does the Vedder flood?  (Read 2736 times)

CohoJake

• Old Timer
When does the Vedder flood?
« on: November 02, 2018, 12:27:57 AM »

Watching the graph at the crossing - what level is flood stage?   Anyone remember?  I searched this forum already, and elsewhere online, and didn't see it anywhere obvious.

stsfisher

Re: When does the Vedder flood?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2018, 06:08:42 AM »

I use to think anything over 1.95 was flooded or unfishable in most places. But since the new bridge and possible new location of the graph at the crossing my numbers have not worked.

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2018, 06:24:41 AM »

Wow 2.9!
How many days for it to drain it to a fishable level?

stsfisher

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2018, 08:09:05 AM »

well if the temperature stays as high as it is today ( 17 degrees ) it will be a long while

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2018, 08:45:02 AM »

Just back from our morning walk at the river ... very high, lots of debris, muddy.  Stay home.

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2018, 08:58:00 AM »

Just back from our morning walk at the river ... very high, lots of debris, muddy.  Stay home.

I'll stay well away from the Vedder. Northern tribs are producing nicely, so no problem.
But Tamihi will be THE place this weekend. ::)

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2018, 09:05:26 AM »

I'll stay well away from the Vedder. Northern tribs are producing nicely, so no problem.
But Tamihi will be THE place this weekend. ::)

Nicomen by the pub was ripping south during incoming tide yesterday. Normally it flows north slowly. Full of wood and debris. I would say every third cast I had some junk on my jig

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2018, 09:34:12 AM »

Interesting question, Jake.

While it seems that high streamflow advisories  are issued for a region (i.e. the South Coast), flood watch and flood warning are issued  more by watershed.

I was playing around this site http://bcrfc.env.gov.bc.ca/warnings/index.htm and particularly the COFFEE model for the Chilliwack River but I don't have the time to invest to understand it more fully. http://bcrfc.env.gov.bc.ca/fallfloods/coffee/08MH001.PDF  You might find some nuggets in there.

From this webpage https://www.chilliwack.com/main/page.cfm?id=2055 and the attached presentation, the city of Chiliwack defines flood stage by water level below the crest of the dike, not  discharge.

Interesting that half (5/10) of the historic high stream flows have occurred in the month of November. More than half actually because the one in 1990 (not shown) was November, as well.