Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Milner Kingfisher  (Read 3861 times)

dave c

Milner Kingfisher
« on: October 31, 2018, 06:06:41 PM »

My 5" Kingfisher which is a year old has developed a wobble.  Should i send back to milner or take to Mikes reel repair. It is a bushing reel.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
Re: Milner Kingfisher
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2018, 08:00:51 AM »

I would send it to John always if possible.
Is it a wobble or has the grub screw maybe just backed off a bit?

dave c

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2018, 09:01:52 AM »

I would send it to John always if possible.
Is it a wobble or has the grub screw maybe just backed off a bit?
Noah. Not sure what the grub screw is but there is a bit of play when reeling in.  If you hold the frame of reel in one hand you can move the free spooling part of reel with other hand up and down on the spindle . Not very much maybe 1/32 of an inch but its noticeable when reeling in

ShaunO

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2018, 09:25:09 AM »

I'll try and save you some leg work.  Email John at "johnmilnerreels@gmail.com".  He may be able to give you some pointers via email.  At various times of the year, he can be extremely busy, but he does try hard to promptly reply.

dave c

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2018, 10:16:30 AM »

I'll try and save you some leg work.  Email John at "johnmilnerreels@gmail.com".  He may be able to give you some pointers via email.  At various times of the year, he can be extremely busy, but he does try hard to promptly reply.
tks. Emailed John and he got back to me right away. Noah hit the nail on the head. Geub screw backed off.  John said i can fix or take to Fred's or send to him

bobby b

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2018, 10:25:05 AM »

It is a very easy fix if you have the correct size Allen key.
It does happen from time to time...
If your unsure take it to Freds and they will adjust it for you and at the same time you can see how it is done so you can do it yourself in the future.....with use, it will most likely happen again.

ShaunO

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2018, 11:01:57 AM »

tks. Emailed John and he got back to me right away. Noah hit the nail on the head. Geub screw backed off.  John said i can fix or take to Fred's or send to him
That's great!  I'm happy you got such a quick reply.  If you would like someone to go over the basic maintenance of your Kingfisher, I'm sure the guys at Fred's would be more than happy to show you.  It's really simple, but if you haven't seen it done before it might be a little daunting. 

Cheers!

ShaunO

dave c

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2018, 11:12:33 AM »

Tks guys. John told me to totally remove screw then add loctite on threads tighten fully then back off a quarter turn.  I am a bit leery about using the loctite though for fear of having it locked in a position which isnt correct.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2018, 11:37:36 AM »

Not sure about loctite. Maybe if that’s the route you want to go I’d send in to John. Just make sure you have the correct Allen key and very small adjustments. There needs to be just the smallest amount of end play on a bushing reel. I have mine set so it almost feels like it’s on a cushion, there is no audible clunk or noise whatsoever. Keep the Allen key with you when you fish the first time so you can play with it.

Also, too much oil can slow the reel down.

dave c

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2018, 11:46:15 AM »

Not sure about loctite. Maybe if that’s the route you want to go I’d send in to John. Just make sure you have the correct Allen key and very small adjustments. There needs to be just the smallest amount of end play on a bushing reel. I have mine set so it almost feels like it’s on a cushion, there is no audible clunk or noise whatsoever. Keep the Allen key with you when you fish the first time so you can play with it.

Also, too much oil can slow the reel down.
tks Noah. Think ill pass on the loctite. If this is a common problem i have no issues adjusting from time to time

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 12:22:58 PM »

FWIW, loctite will prevent the bolt from moving on its own, but will not prevent being able to adjust it with a tool...

Though there are two types, red and blue, not sure which is more pliable...
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 12:26:31 PM by halcyonguitars »

ShaunO

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 12:47:08 PM »

Red Loctite is for permanent installations.  Blue is for semi-permanent installations requiring servicing with hand tools.

Don't let Loctite scare you off.  The blue stuff is pretty friendly.  The red stuff is not!!!

joan

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 04:35:08 PM »

I had the issue a few years back with my vedder model milner ,  sent it to john ,he adjusted it . had it happen again and was told to use the blue  Loctite . Have not had a problem since. But I still carry the allen key with me. just my 2 cents worth  Rich old guy

ninez

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 07:57:04 PM »

Thanks Noah.  My kingfisher has the same problem and now it's solved.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 10:34:59 PM by ninez »