Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sea lice resistance causing mortality  (Read 7119 times)

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
Re: Sea lice resistance causing mortality
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2018, 08:44:34 AM »

Most of the Pink returns up north were poor this year. Another year of no abundance!

Who knows? It's about the quality of information provided.

Remember RIP Rivers Inlet sockeye? Latest info I found was 300+ went through the Whonnock River in 2014. There were previous years of 100k+. Hardly RIP.

Wiped out by over fishing fishing? I found no peer reviewed studies that report that. They suspect poor ocean survival possibly right in the inlet itself where increased glacial runoff has changed the timing of the phyto-plankton bloom.

Pink returns were bad, Chum returns were bad, Chinook returns have been up or down depending on the system and Coho returns have seemed pretty positive. Lots of reports of coho stuff with crab larva this year.

Generally tho down compared to previous years 

Rivers inlet sockeye went from a harvest of couple million down to nothing, Tho your right just like with Thompson steelhead they aren't likely to go extinct instead were likely to see the numbers remain at extremely low levels.

Depensation, Critical Mass, Allee effect is a thing with salmon populations.  Most times it seems like it is a mystery why the populations crash. Tho I do know one thing is no one wants to point the finger at them selves and say that what they are doing is a cause.

This is a pretty good article that I thought summed things up nicely.

A Dead Fish is a Dead Fish, Right?

https://www.salmonandsteelheadjournal.com/a-dead-fish-is-a-dead-fish-right/?fbclid=IwAR2DN6R4YWBiGFdo_D5XUNZxmtKkuFyqiceB4iW71hAqw_SZRPHxv9ayfAE

banx

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2018, 09:28:06 AM »

Funny, two posts up you use a 16 year old reference and that’s okay?Wake up call—— we’re not scientists, we don’t have to be scientific. And since we’re talking about Morton we don’t have to be honest either.

;D

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2018, 09:44:01 AM »

Went Government scientists muzzled during the Harper days ? Yes. Does anyone know if the current federal government still enforces this ?

Easywater

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2018, 09:51:38 AM »

Ah almo’s famous blunder where she claimed a pink salmon were going to go extinct in a few years because of sea lice.

Then a few years later the area had one of its biggest retuns ever
Perhaps it was because something was done to reduce the sea lice problem because of her involvement?
There was wide-spread use of Slice in those years following (2005?) and some farms were fallowed.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2018, 12:54:12 PM »

Perhaps it was because something was done to reduce the sea lice problem because of her involvement?
There was wide-spread use of Slice in those years following (2005?) and some farms were fallowed.

If I recall correctly after the report I mentioned above was issued the SF industry voluntarily shut down the sea pen operations in Broughton. The use of sea lice pesticides followed. I have been hearing reports of growing sea lice tolerance for a couple of years. This is very common in nature. Sea lice are proving adaptive to our fixes just as bacteria have proved they can adapt to our excessive use of antibiotics.

Rivers inlet sockeye went from a harvest of couple million down to nothing, Tho your right just like with Thompson steelhead they aren't likely to go extinct instead were likely to see the numbers remain at extremely low levels.

I have see the graphs per year since 1950. There was one year of about 2.5 million one about 3 the rest mostly 0.5 to 1 million. This is just like Fraser sockeye in 2010 and 2014. Historically, high returns happened very seldom.  Gee don't we wish we got a return of 300k IFS (LOL)! Some off cycle years the Adam's sockeye return is less than 50k. Salmon returns have always been highly variable. Before historic contact FNs  on the coast and interior starved because salmon runs failed.

Historically, Rivers Inlet was one of the most productive sockeye salmon based ecosystems in British Columbia, vying with the Skeena River for position as the second largest commercial fishery for this species (1). Population highs of more than 3 million fish have been recorded and for most of the 20th century an annual average fishery catch of greater than 750 000 fish was maintained.  However, in the 1970's the Rivers Inlet sockeye population began to decline. Despite reduced harvest rates in the 1980’s, as part of an adaptive management strategy, stocks continued to decline and the commercial fishery was closed in 1996. In 1999 the stock reached a record low of ~ 3600 fish, just 0.1% of historic levels. Although the commercial fishery has remained closed since 1996, with only a small amount of fishing permitted by the Wuikinuxv First Nations for cultural purposes, the stock has not recovered to harvestable levels (a minimum of 200 000 spawners).

http://riversinlet.eos.ubc.ca/about_rivers_inlet.html
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 01:42:27 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2018, 02:00:44 PM »

If I recall correctly after the report I mentioned above was issued the SF industry voluntarily shut down the sea pen operations in Broughton. The use of sea lice pesticides followed. I have been hearing reports of growing sea lice tolerance for a couple of years. This is very common in nature. Sea lice are proving adaptive to our fixes just as bacteria have proved they can adapt to our excessive use of antibiotics.

I have see the graphs per year since 1950. There was one year of about 2.5 million one about 3 the rest mostly 0.5 to 1 million. This is just like Fraser sockeye in 2010 and 2014. Historically, high returns happened very seldom.  Gee don't we wish we got a return of 300k IFS (LOL)! Some off cycle years the Adam's sockeye return is less than 50k. Salmon returns have always been highly variable. Before historic contact FNs  on the coast and interior starved because salmon runs failed.

Thanks Ralph Great info