Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sea lice resistance causing mortality  (Read 7115 times)

bsmcrosseyed

Sea lice resistance causing mortality
« on: October 31, 2018, 12:05:41 PM »

dcajaxs

Re: Sea lice resistance causing mortality
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2018, 12:54:59 PM »

is there nothing in nature that eats sea lice off of salmon?  In many forms of agriculture there are good bugs that eat bad insects, I'd hope that there would be something for sea lice too.

santefe

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2018, 01:21:41 PM »

Some years ago Ms Morton posted a video 'Calling from the Coast'.  In it she showed juvenile salmon caught near a fish farm in the Broughtons that were literally covered with sea lice.
That made a believer in me that fish farms were harmful to wild stocks.  Yes sea lice are  naturally occurring in the wild.  But thousands of salmon in a pen are not naturally occurring, hence you would expect large consentrations of sea lice.
The article in the Sun today only confirms my beliefs that fish farms are detrimental to wild salmon stocks.
Thats my two cents...

GordJ

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2018, 04:53:25 PM »

Some years ago Ms Morton posted a video 'Calling from the Coast'.  In it she showed juvenile salmon caught near a fish farm in the Broughtons that were literally covered with sea lice.
That made a believer in me that fish farms were harmful to wild stocks.  Yes sea lice are  naturally occurring in the wild.  But thousands of salmon in a pen are not naturally occurring, hence you would expect large consentrations of sea lice.
The article in the Sun today only confirms my beliefs that fish farms are detrimental to wild salmon stocks.
Thats my two cents...
See, that video that you reference was the reason that I distrust everything she says. About 60 or 70 years ago, in high school, they taught me that the scientific method took a lot of measurements and involved things like blind studies while she merely found a fish or two that “proved” her point and declared a disaster. This report is no different, there is no data except what is favourable to the outcome that was desired.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2018, 05:38:20 PM »

similar evidence has been provided as proof on this website in the last few weeks...FNs are killing all the Fraser chum and the IFS to boot but no complaints on that!

Exactly what is the science and how is it used on the internet specifically on this site?

BTW Morton's claims at the time were largely supported by a group of scientists who reported direct to the then Minister of Fisheries. They were not satisfied by the scientific methodology used by DFO to disprove her claims.

Some might be interested to search for the Pacific Fisheries Resource Conservation Council Report of Nov 2002 titled

2002 ADVISORY: THE PROTECTION OF
BROUGHTON ARCHIPELAGO PINK
SALMON STOCKS

A quote from the cover letter:

While scientific certainty is not absolute, European research does indicate that sea lice abundance can be associated with salmon farming. Given this evidence, combined with the presence of sea lice on Broughton Archipelago pink salmon smolts, and the fact the
decline in numbers was limited to Broughton Archipelago fish, the Council believes that sea lice were associated with the decline observed in the Broughton Archipelago.  Where there is a risk of serious or irreversible harm the precautionary approach calls for action
based on the best evidence available. In this Broughton Archipelago case, the absence of any evidence of some other cause, than sea lice, justifies action.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2018, 05:47:42 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2018, 06:15:13 PM »

Ah almo’s famous blunder where she claimed a pink salmon were going to go extinct in a few years because of sea lice.

Then a few years later the area had one of its biggest retuns ever

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2018, 06:52:32 PM »

...and what year was that?

As usual anything to do with open ocean salmon farms and sea lice becomes a plebiscite on Morton. How scientifically honest is that?

"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer

GordJ

« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2018, 08:37:34 PM »

..FNs are killing all the Fraser chum and the IFS to boot but no complaints on that!
What does that have to do with this topic?

BTW Morton's claims at the time were largely supported by a group of scientists who reported direct to the then Minister of Fisheries. They were not satisfied by the scientific methodology used by DFO to disprove her claims.
Your recollection is different than mine but I’m not really sure of how I remember what the anonymous scientists said, what their fields of study were or what arena their support was posted in.

GordJ

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2018, 08:47:19 PM »

...and what year was that?

Funny, two posts up you use a 16 year old reference and that’s okay?

As usual anything to do with open ocean salmon farms and sea lice becomes a plebiscite on Morton. How scientifically honest is that?
Wake up call—— we’re not scientists, we don’t have to be scientific. And since we’re talking about Morton we don’t have to be honest either.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2018, 06:42:41 AM »

Ok so don't use your astonishingly old knowledge of the Scientific method to try to debunk someone else's observations.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2018, 06:46:32 AM »

https://biv.com/article/2017/05/whats-destabilizing-bcs-wild-salmon-stocks

wild pink salmon stocks in the Broughton Archipelago didn’t collapse – they surged dramatically in 2014. And in 2010, Fraser River sockeye made a stunning comeback, with a return of 28 million fish, followed four years later with a return of 19 million.

Ah almo’s famous blunder where she claimed a pink salmon were going to go extinct in a few years because of sea lice.

Then a few years later the area had one of its biggest retuns ever

ah now a few years is more than a decade...ha ha! Most of your supporting information is garbled at best.

and since then Fraser Pink stocks have crashed. Don't expect a rebound next year.

Sockeye stocks aren't all that strong either. Since '14 we've seen some of the weakest returns on record.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 06:49:08 AM by RalphH »

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2018, 07:44:25 AM »

ah now a few years is more than a decade...ha ha! Most of your supporting information is garbled at best.

and since then Fraser Pink stocks have crashed. Don't expect a rebound next year.

Sockeye stocks aren't all that strong either. Since '14 we've seen some of the weakest returns on record.

Because of fish farms? And sea lice?

Hike_and_fish

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2018, 08:03:56 AM »

There have been worse returns than last year for Pinks and the following return was more than 4x. There is hope. The Squamish on the other hand sounds like it's dead.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2018, 08:08:59 AM »

Most of the Pink returns up north were poor this year. Another year of no abundance!

Because of fish farms? And sea lice?

Who knows? It's about the quality of information provided.

Remember RIP Rivers Inlet sockeye? Latest info I found was 300+ went through the Whonnock River in 2014. There were previous years of 100k+. Hardly RIP.

Wiped out by over fishing fishing? I found no peer reviewed studies that report that. They suspect poor ocean survival possibly right in the inlet itself where increased glacial runoff has changed the timing of the phyto-plankton bloom.

« Last Edit: November 01, 2018, 08:15:27 AM by RalphH »