Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: braid or mono?  (Read 10271 times)

Knnn

• Old Timer
Re: braid or mono?
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2018, 01:05:19 PM »

I use the double uni, which even though it has 30% less breaking resistance than the FG, I don't care because I run 30 lb braid to 15 lb mono in everything except ultra clear water then I use 12 or 15 lbs orange seagar.

some excellent information on different knots with different set ups and their relative strengths (link is to the braid to leader section):

https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/fishing-knots/#braidtoleader

Just like Timmies you need to go with the double double.....

https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/how-to-tie-a-double-uni-knot/

« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 01:17:33 PM by Knnn »

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2018, 08:45:38 PM »

FG knot;this is the knot that both tests the strongest and is the thinnest:

Finally got around to trying this knot and so far it's the best braid-mono connector I've tried. PITA to tie, but it is extremely thin and casts through the guides nice. After a couple dozen hookups and a handful of lost jigs to snags this week, my leader is scraped and beat to hell but the knot held up to all that abuse. Took three times to tie it right the first time, so dont think I could tie it properly on the water, but will use it when I can.

Knnn

• Old Timer
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2018, 09:49:05 PM »

Just remembered something that is real important.  I am hooked on using braid, for spoons and twitching jigs but it absolutely and utterly sucks when the temp drops below zero.  It will ice up and the spool will accumulate spaces between the wraps on your spool and then at some point during a cast the outbound line will strip off a couple of these loose wraps and you will get an almighty birds nest which will be tough to recover from.  So if you do a lot of sub-zero fishing, do yourself a favour and have a back up reel with mono or a spare spool of mono.

island boy

« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2018, 06:00:52 PM »

went with the braid and don't know if i could go back. casts a mile and the head shakes are unreal. thanks for all the feedback from you guys.
you kill it, you clean it.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2018, 09:52:03 AM »

After being anti braid for years, I might just try braid for spinning gear.
I'm not a fan of it for float fishing.

ShaunO

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2018, 01:20:15 PM »

15lb Sufix braid and 10lb Seaguar blue label.  I use a FG knot with one rods length of leader.  Yeah the FG knot takes a bit of time to tie, but if you leave enough leader you'll have enough for plenty of lure changes.  A well tied FG will go through the rod guides with ease and you'll barely be able to feel it.

The flourocarbon (or even mono) provides a good bumper to help give your line a bit of stretch, while not sacrificing any of the sensitivity that braid gives you.  It's about as good as it gets... except in the freezing cold.  But that sounds like center pin weather to me!

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2018, 06:14:04 PM »

20lb braid and tie directly to the mainline, coho are not leader shy.

Shinny

« Reply #37 on: November 01, 2018, 07:03:15 AM »

20lb braid and tie directly to the mainline, coho are not leader shy.

Agreed. I run 15lbs braid and that’s equal to 6lbs mono in terms of thickness. If a coho is committed to a strike I don’t think the braid is going to persuade him otherwise. I lost a beauty of a fish when my braid to mono knot came undone when I used to run leaders. That was the last day I ran a mono leader with a braid mainline.