Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: braid or mono?  (Read 10268 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: braid or mono?
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2018, 10:23:48 AM »

The last five coho seasons I have been running PowerPro 15lb test as my main, followed by 10ft of 10 or 12lb test Seaguar Fluorocarbon STS as the leader. I still have the same braided line on the reel actually, it has been fantastic and will never use mono again for spinning.

sbc hris

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2018, 10:31:56 AM »

The last five coho seasons I have been running PowerPro 15lb test as my main, followed by 10ft of 10 or 12lb test Seaguar Fluorocarbon STS as the leader. I still have the same braided line on the reel actually, it has been fantastic and will never use mono again for spinning.
This is the exact setup I’ve been running as well.
Some are arguing that you may lose more fish because of the lack of stretch in the line. I haven’t found that to be a problem at all. Just have your drag set properly and use your rod like a shock absorber as it’s intended to. I actually found my landing percentage went way up when I started using braid, I think part of this has to do with bite detection and the rock solid hook sets that you get using braid.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2018, 10:40:29 AM »

My landing ratio has gone way up because of switching to this setup.

lapa

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2018, 10:56:34 AM »

Rod, what knot are you using between braid and mono?

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2018, 11:12:28 AM »

Improved Albright Knot.

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2018, 01:19:33 PM »

Not a swivel?

bobby b

« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2018, 02:20:53 PM »

With a short leader a swivel may be fine but with a long leader a swivel aint so good as it will run through the guides

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2018, 02:35:52 PM »

I run 30 lb. Tuff XP as my main and 10 lb. fluorocarbon as leader

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2018, 03:15:55 PM »

Ditching the swivel would certainly solve some issues...

Snagly

Braid hands down . . . but it requires special handling
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2018, 09:54:12 PM »

I've used braid for my main line in all salt and freshwater applications for 20 years. With 2%-4% stretch, it can't be beat for detecting strikes, and for that reason alone gets the nod. It's also thin for its strength, so it casts a long way, too. BTW, Braid doesn't abrade guides. (That was the original wonderline, Kevlar, in the 1970s . . . now found in ballistic vests and not tackle shops.)

On the downside:

1. You need different knots, both for leaders and to the lure/hook (if that's how you roll). For those who go direct, I suggest folding the line over and doubling the line for regular knots like the clinch. IMO fish see the line (mono or braid) and don't know what it is. What deters them from biting (sometimes) is line drag in the water, not the color of the braid.

I'm a big advocate of tying on a 10' leader (I use Chameleon for salmon and steelhead) for these reasons: (a) puts stretch in your system; (b) easier to tie knots to lures than if going direct with braid; and (c) allows you to leader your fish without fear of line cuts. (Suggestion: wear fingerless gloves when fishing with braid: if you snag up, you can break it by wrapping around your palm and giving it a direct pull.)

To join mono/FC <25lbs to braid, use a 4x Surgeon's Knot. That's an overhand knot with 4 wraps. (Prior to tying the knot, interlink the braid-mono by wrapping one around the other 20 or so times to increase the surface area contact and boost friction.) This knot, cinched very tight, breaks at 85% the actual breaking strength of the weaker line (usually the mono). Trim the tag ends very close, and you can wind it onto the spool and cast fine, even with a baitcaster.

If using heavier leaders than 25lbs, first double the braid with a Bimini twist (second best: spider hitch) and join the leader using a "Reverse Albright" (Aussie-speak) or an "Alberto's knot" (Google it). A very strong join IF tightened up as hard as you can pull.

I have more details on braid knots I can share. PM me if interested.
"One and done" to limit our impact on wild steelhead

bigblockfox

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2018, 10:30:17 PM »

I don’t think I’ll ever go back to mono on my spinning reels...

X 2. The braid detects even the slightest touch. I run 15 lbs leader when throwing hardware and jigs. About 3ish feet with a swivel.

« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 10:32:50 PM by bigblockfox »

cdjk123

« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2018, 04:59:13 AM »

I use 30 lb powerpro, with a 7-10ft leader of 10, 15, or 20 lb floro.
I connect the lines with a loop to loop and never had any problems.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2018, 08:45:39 AM »

Improved Albright Knot.

FG knot;this is the knot that both tests the strongest and is the thinnest:

https://www.saltstrong.com/articles/how-to-tie-the-fg-knot/

I have also used the Yucatan knot.

Based on how fish fail to react to a sinking line - I doubt they would react to braid if a swivel is used with 3 or 4 feet of leader.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2018, 10:06:15 AM »

I want to try this set up this year, would a small swivel be hard on the rod eyes?

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2018, 10:15:28 AM »

I want to try this set up this year, would a small swivel be hard on the rod eyes?
Not a good idea to cast a swivel through the eyes. Use a short leader 2-3' (which is plenty IMHO) or if you insist on a long leader, use a line-to-line knot like others have suggested.