Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Demonstration Fishery On The Fraser River  (Read 58573 times)

cdjk123

Re: Demonstration Fishery On The Fraser River
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2017, 09:56:43 AM »

I just don't get what they're trying to prove. DFO knows bar fishing doesn't hurt sockeye stocks. They have it closed because even if they open it to selective methods there will still be a bunch of idiots bottom bouncing. Unfortunately it's a case of the few ruining it for the many.

This ^^^

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2017, 10:13:54 AM »

I am with Rieber 100% on this one.
From the legal point of view, going out to bar fish in spite of the closure is no different from starting a camp fire in spite of the fire ban.

As for being entitled to an opinion...of course we are.
Opinions are just that...opinions. They are like a$$holes...everybody has one.

I, for one, am thankful for boats and interior lakes filled with big trout.
Salmon fishing be damned. My friendly FN neighbour always has whatever I need at unbeatable prices.  :P

TNAngler

« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2017, 01:04:03 PM »

Why not make it a positive instead of a negative?  Maybe get everyone with a boat out there and those that don't have boats with cameras that can ride with those with boats and patrol the river for illegal fishing.  Draw attention to that instead.

Also, it isn't the fact that people floss so would you guys please quit.  Good lord.  The FN have stated that if they see rec fishers out there (it doesn't matter what type of fishing, bar fishing, flossing, dip netting, grabbing fish with their dang hands) they will consider themselves open for netting.  The reason the river isn't open to rec fishing is because DFO is being held hostage.

Birkenhead

« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2017, 01:11:48 PM »

My first thought is how many individuals involved with organizing the protest have a financial stake in it? asking people to break the law....hmmm. I as pissed as anyone, but I have concerns about the optics here.

Fred Helmer (owner of Fred's Custom Tackle) is one of the Alliance stakeholders and is listed as their Spokesperson on their website. His company will never see a cent of my money as long he organizes and condones these protest / demo fisheries.

Birkenhead

« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2017, 01:12:40 PM »

Also, it isn't the fact that people floss so would you guys please quit.  Good lord.  The FN have stated that if they see rec fishers out there (it doesn't matter what type of fishing, bar fishing, flossing, dip netting, grabbing fish with their dang hands) they will consider themselves open for netting.  The reason the river isn't open to rec fishing is because DFO is being held hostage.

And I am sure you have a valid source link for the above?

TNAngler

« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2017, 01:21:38 PM »

And I am sure you have a valid source link for the above?

It's been referenced on here quite frequently.  I believe Rodney has even verified it.  I'm almost positive it was the exact tactic used last year as verified by numerous people.  They will not be closed for conservation while others may potentially impact the run despite the level of impact possible.

Birkenhead

« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2017, 01:57:33 PM »

It's been referenced on here quite frequently.  I believe Rodney has even verified it.  I'm almost positive it was the exact tactic used last year as verified by numerous people.  They will not be closed for conservation while others may potentially impact the run despite the level of impact possible.

Valid link does not mean a fishing forum where people can anonymously post 3rd hearsay. You made a statement "The FN have stated that if they see rec fishers out there (it doesn't matter what type of fishing, bar fishing, flossing, dip netting, grabbing fish with their dang hands) they will consider themselves open for netting.  The reason the river isn't open to rec fishing is because DFO is being held hostage.

So where is a valid link where the above statements can be verified? Was this on the 6 pm news, read on a news or FN or DFO website or press release?

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2017, 01:58:20 PM »

While I'm not a supporter of FRSA, I do support thoughtful, non-violent, civil disobedience. Our province has a long history of civil disobedience: for example, Clayoquot Sound, Eagleridge Bluffs, Everywomen's Health Centre....

People stood up for what they believed strongly in, and some went to jail as a result.

If you feel that strongly about something, and you have thoughtfully exhausted all other legal/sanctioned means to effect change, and non-violent civil disobedience is your last resort, then accept the consequences and go for it.

But I won't boycott you for doing it.

steelheadfreak

« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2017, 03:03:17 PM »

While I'm not a supporter of FRSA, I do support thoughtful, non-violent, civil disobedience. Our province has a long history of civil disobedience: for example, Clayoquot Sound, Eagleridge Bluffs, Everywomen's Health Centre....

People stood up for what they believed strongly in, and some went to jail as a result.

If you feel that strongly about something, and you have thoughtfully exhausted all other legal/sanctioned means to effect change, and non-violent civil disobedience is your last resort, then accept the consequences and go for it.

BINGO!

milo

• Old Timer
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2017, 03:20:54 PM »

Well said, Clarki.

But don't forget that this act of civil disobedience could result in the death of hundreds of salmon that should not be taken out of the river due to ongoing conservation issues.
I am sure there are other ways to protest that will not further imperil already threatened stocks.

Like others said above, it is groups who have financial interest in this who'd benefit the most from this action, not the fish.
I stand on the side of the fish, and I can't, for the life of me, see how an illegal protest fishery would work in their favour.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: August 29, 2017, 03:55:42 PM »

Good point, Milo. I didn't have the opportunity to articulate my entire perspective, but, to me, "non-violent" isn't just about violence to people, it also means non destructive: i.e. vandalism, killing fish...

And wearing a bandana over your face isn't thoughtful, non-violent, civil disobedience. It's thuggery.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #41 on: August 29, 2017, 04:00:18 PM »

Helmer organized a similar protest fishery back in the late 80s or so - maybe Chris remembers. Then it was to allow a sport take of chinook though previously it had been c&r only. As I recal they caught on bleeder and hung it up so DFO observers could see it. It wasn't too long before DFO allowed a harvest.

One difference though was runs were doing quite well after recovering from a decline in the 70s and 80s. The returns are crap this year which makes me feel this may be not that responsible.

Oh and to add, the FN groups have not in the past, opposed opening the river once sockeye migration through the lower river has reached or exceeded 90%. It is interception of sockeye by sport anglers when they, FNs have agreed not to take sockeye.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 04:02:21 PM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #42 on: August 29, 2017, 04:20:35 PM »

I believe the chinook numbers have been better than DFO estimated. There has been numerous harvesting going on for these chinooks on the fraser... This protest fishery is for DFO to see that bar fishing is very selective fishery targeting chinook and not sockeye. Any fish caught will be released and some will be bar fishing with no hooks. They want to get the point across that the recreational Bar fishing sector is always excluded from harvesting during depressed stock estimates....but t it is not showing low numbers of chinook at the moment. BUUUUT!...the first nations will see this as their right to net sockeye and the bottom bouncers will try to get a piece of the action as well doing what they do best. :o

minnie-me

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #43 on: August 29, 2017, 06:15:54 PM »

For immediate release:
The Fraser River Sport Fishing Alliance will be conducting a Demonstration fishery Saturday Sept 2nd which is intended to demonstrate the selectivity of our bar fishery and the virtual zero impact on sockeye stocks. Anglers who wish to participate are asked to be at Island 22 launch site in Chilliwack at 8:30 AM. This will be a bar fishery only and other angling methods will not be permitted.
As our attempts to work with DFO to open the river to our selective fishery have been ignored and currently retention fisheries for chinook and pinks are taking place at the mouth of the river, we must take this action to attempt to save any remnants of our summer fishery.
The angling community has been patient and respective of conservation concerns. We suggest the number of in river net fisheries and outside fisheries suggests the conservation concerns have abated and our fishery should commence.
The Fraser River recreational fishery has been a priceless Canadian heritage for many generations. We have grave concerns that this fishery will be lost to our children and grandchildren.
For further info contact:
Rod Clapton  |||  FRSA Co Chair  |||  rclapton@shaw.ca Fred Helmer  |||  FRSA Co Chair  |||  fredhelmer55@gmail.com
Fraser River Sportfishing Alliance fraseralliance.com

"This will be a bar fishery only and other angling methods will not be permitted." - Now that's funny, come fish illegally, but then set rules on how you must illegal fish. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA I can't get over how hilarious this sounds. So what happens if someone tosses a croc?, are the bar fishermen going to call DFO on them ( LMAO )?, ruff them up? all while they are fishing illegally...this is so messed up.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 06:17:50 PM by minnie-me »

Birkenhead

« Reply #44 on: August 29, 2017, 07:17:29 PM »

"This will be a bar fishery only and other angling methods will not be permitted." - Now that's funny, come fish illegally, but then set rules on how you must illegal fish.

I noticed that also. Just demonstrates that there is still honour among thieves (and poachers.)