Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Demonstration Fishery On The Fraser River  (Read 58573 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Demonstration Fishery On The Fraser River
« on: August 28, 2017, 02:17:16 PM »

For immediate release:
The Fraser River Sport Fishing Alliance will be conducting a Demonstration fishery Saturday Sept 2nd which is intended to demonstrate the selectivity of our bar fishery and the virtual zero impact on sockeye stocks. Anglers who wish to participate are asked to be at Island 22 launch site in Chilliwack at 8:30 AM. This will be a bar fishery only and other angling methods will not be permitted.
As our attempts to work with DFO to open the river to our selective fishery have been ignored and currently retention fisheries for chinook and pinks are taking place at the mouth of the river, we must take this action to attempt to save any remnants of our summer fishery.
The angling community has been patient and respective of conservation concerns. We suggest the number of in river net fisheries and outside fisheries suggests the conservation concerns have abated and our fishery should commence.
The Fraser River recreational fishery has been a priceless Canadian heritage for many generations. We have grave concerns that this fishery will be lost to our children and grandchildren.
For further info contact:
Rod Clapton  |||  FRSA Co Chair  |||  rclapton@shaw.ca Fred Helmer  |||  FRSA Co Chair  |||  fredhelmer55@gmail.com
Fraser River Sportfishing Alliance fraseralliance.com

Rieber

• Old Timer
Re: Demonstration Fishery On The Fraser River
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 02:37:52 PM »

Who gives you the right to this illegal action?

You want to have an open season and despite there being no opening for you you still defy the law?

Criminals don't deserve to fish for salmon. Bad on you and I don't support your actions at all.

I'm surprised this type of illegal demonstration is even allowed to be made public on this fine forum.

If the law says no fishing - why are you fishing. Stop before you become a criminal.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 02:42:55 PM »

Who gives you the right to this illegal action?

You want to have an open season and despite there being no opening for you you still defy the law?

Criminals don't deserve to fish for salmon. Bad on you and I don't support your actions at all.

I'm surprised this type of illegal demonstration is even allowed to be made public on this fine forum.

If the law says no fishing - why are you fishing. Stop before you become a criminal.
Just putting it up for information, if Rodney does not wish it to be here I am sure it will be deleted.It is all over social media at this time anyway.

As well no where in my post did I say I was taking part.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 02:45:34 PM by chris gadsden »

Birkenhead

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 03:00:07 PM »

For immediate release:
The Fraser River Sport Fishing Alliance will be conducting a Demonstration fishery Saturday Sept 2nd which is intended to demonstrate the selectivity of our bar fishery and the virtual zero impact on sockeye stocks. Anglers who wish to participate are asked to be at Island 22 launch site in Chilliwack at 8:30 AM.

Funny how this group only raises it head once per year. They did the same last year and their planned illegal fishery demo was preempted by DFO opening the river just days before. However this Alliance''s claim of victory over the DFO opening the river, was pretty sad - and desperate. I hope the same happens to them this year.

I have zero respect for any person or group who blatantly breaks the law in a shallow, pathetic attempt to "stick it to the man."

CohoJake

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2017, 03:02:04 PM »

Might I suggest a LEGAL demonstration fishery as some have done here in Washington - go through the motions but don't use anything on the business end.  So may be bar fishing with a spin-n-glo but no hook attached - just a swivel underneath.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2017, 03:13:13 PM »

you can legally fish is in the Fraser right now it's not closed.

If DFO asks you're just out there fishing for Barracuda

Of course this might result in them closing the whole Fraser to all fishing but i doubt it.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2017, 03:18:01 PM »

This is only for those with boats which unfortunately is a minority among recreational fishermen. Perhaps they should organize a peaceful demonstration/rally and march in front of a DFO office inviting the media to cover the event to explain the unfair treatment of the recreational fishing sector by DFO. The politicians should be invited too to witness this so they know it can matter to their votes if the number of protesters is large enough.

steelheadfreak

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2017, 03:21:16 PM »

For all you guys poo-pooing the FRSA, its not about getting the last salmon. A lot of it has to do with having an equal voice with Gov/DFO on behalf of the rec fisherman. Right now, all that GOV/DFO care about is the commercial sector and the FNs fishers. CONSERVATION, FIRST NATIONS, RECREATIONAL, COMMERCIAL is how its supposed to go. Well, as of late, the REC sector is bottom of the barrel........do your research.

salmonlander

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 03:28:05 PM »

Well said  Steelheadfreak  Its Hard to do the research when you are bent over touching your toes waiting for the DFO's next move, and hopeing for some miracle to happen and the river opens!

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2017, 03:48:25 PM »

For all you guys poo-pooing the FRSA, its not about getting the last salmon. A lot of it has to do with having an equal voice with Gov/DFO on behalf of the rec fisherman. Right now, all that GOV/DFO care about is the commercial sector and the FNs fishers. CONSERVATION, FIRST NATIONS, RECREATIONAL, COMMERCIAL is how its supposed to go. Well, as of late, the REC sector is bottom of the barrel........do your research.

Not poo-pooing the FRSA at all - I just don't think a demonstration that does nothing more than needlessly ties up several CO's time is effective. While the CO's are needlessly watching an illegal demonstration, the real criminals will see this as an opportunity to take advantage of the low probability of a CO somewhere's else. Of course with any demonstration, the RCMP will need to be there to ensure peace is kept which is more wasted resources.

It's closed for salmon - don't demonstrate that you are going to fish for salmon despite it being closed for salmon.

Whatever - do what you want because in the end it won't matter a hill of beans other than more wasted resources. It's not going to bring the salmon back nor is an illegal demonstration going to open a fishing season when there is no fish. Are you so hungry to bar fish that you need a demonstration?

DanL

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2017, 04:20:12 PM »

Or perhaps demonstrate in a way that can generate more positive coverage? Hold it at a popular fishing bar accessible to everyone and invite politicians and media where you can present your case intelligently and coherently. The optics of jetting off to who knows where just to fish in protest is not as justifiable IMHO.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2017, 04:23:53 PM »

As long as they get the media out there it will be well worth it!

It's not fair at all, If you want to protect salmon then I have always been an advocate for a coastal wide closure.  Fraser River fish are being harvested everywhere up and down the coast. I don't care about if the old timers don't get to fish they had there day and they killed the resource, If they need to close it for the next 20 years then so be it.

The Americans are getting a commercial fishery on fraser river stock

ALL CITIZEN FISHERY:

Areas 7 and 7A: Open to purse seines, with non-retention of sockeye, from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m.,
Tuesday, August 29, 2017.

Areas 7 and 7A: Open to gillnets, with non-retention of sockeye, from 8 a.m. to 11:59 p.m.,
Tuesday, August 29, 2017.

Areas 7 and 7A: Open to reef nets, with non-retention of sockeye, from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m.,
Tuesday, August 29, 2017, and from 5 a.m. to 9 p.m., Wednesday, August 30, 2017.

(Note: U.S. All Citizen fishers should check the U.S. hotline and WDFW regulations before fishing
as there are additional State of Washington regulations, including time restrictions that may be in
effect).

The next in-season meeting of the Panel is scheduled to occur on Thursday, August 31, 2017 at
1:00p.m.

Sporties that fish the Fraser need to get out there and force their opinion and be heard!!! I support it!

Or perhaps demonstrate in a way that can generate more positive coverage? Hold it at a popular fishing bar accessible to everyone and invite politicians and media where you can present your case intelligently and coherently. The optics of jetting off to who knows where just to fish in protest is not as justifiable IMHO.

Bang on it needs media support not just do be a pain in the my friend to C&P staff who will probably call in sick anyways because they think the river should be open,
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 04:31:54 PM by wildmanyeah »

Birkenhead

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2017, 04:30:26 PM »

Complain all you want but the current laws and regs are written this way. I can never figure out all the 1000's of words split and argued over this subject every year on this forum and actually never results in action.

You want to change laws and regs and save the fish, don't sit on your arse and play armchair fisheries expert. Instead run for office, get educated and apply for a job at DFO or wherever your voice may be heard and help make change. All the bs bickering and finger pointing here reminds me of the quote from the end of the movie "Platoon": We did not fight the enemy; we fought ourselves. And the enemy... was in us.

As for me, it would not bother me a bit if the river was closed for a few years if it meant that it would help the salmon. But in the meantime and as I do a few times a week, I walk the Fraser, cleaning up garbage, educating (and occasionally RAPP) people for fishing out of season, not following regs and so on. Also next week, I will be fishing up in the interior and will come back with a truck load of garbage from river cleanup like I do every year.

Some may think this is insignificant in the big picture, but at least I am trying to do my part to help save the fish. Not bad for a full status FN person - which is almost everybody's favorite whipping group here.

steelheadfreak

« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2017, 04:31:43 PM »

Not poo-pooing the FRSA at all - I just don't think a demonstration that does nothing more than needlessly ties up several CO's time is effective. While the CO's are needlessly watching an illegal demonstration, the real criminals will see this as an opportunity to take advantage of the low probability of a CO somewhere's else. Of course with any demonstration, the RCMP will need to be there to ensure peace is kept which is more wasted resources.

It's closed for salmon - don't demonstrate that you are going to fish for salmon despite it being closed for salmon.

Whatever - do what you want because in the end it won't matter a hill of beans other than more wasted resources. It's not going to bring the salmon back nor is an illegal demonstration going to open a fishing season when there is no fish. Are you so hungry to bar fish that you need a demonstration?

I guess you really are missing the point of it all............ Its pretty easy to sit back and troll every post that people make on these forums, and you do. You really, really do....lol. You quit BB. You don't fish for salmon anymore on the Fraser and your selling your gear. Good for you. If you never want to fish this river again, why post at all? Its not like you are helping. Speaking of helping, what have you done, besides hang up your BB gear, to help out the salmon and the rec sector? The FRSA is for fisherman. A voice for the rec sector we truly are lacking. The rec sector is the most divided group there is. He said she said. A single voice is needed........Now you may think that the FRSA is going about this all wrong. Tell me, and the rest of us the right way? I will speak frankly here. I'm willing to get my hands dirty. Wade through the sewage so that guys like you can once again fish the Fraser for salmon.

As for COs time and DFO enforcements time being wasted, its not. With them having to be out on the river, because of a demonstration fishery, it gets noticed. By the GOV and John Q Public.

psd1179

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2017, 04:37:46 PM »

A lot of boat fish for sturgeon in Fraser river. If they want to change the setup, there is no one can stop