Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish Pinks  (Read 71086 times)

jimmywits

Re: Squamish Pinks
« Reply #30 on: July 20, 2013, 10:25:46 PM »

2000 views of this thread......GONG!!
yep, best you go back to the vedder eh!!!

kosanin kosher salt

« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2013, 11:18:16 PM »

I just invited my whole whole neighbourhood block , add another 20 to that beach tomorrow morning

swimmingwiththefishes

« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2013, 12:56:49 AM »

I hear the Keith Wilson bridge is a great place to fish for pinks and launch boats ::)

yakideath12

« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2013, 01:29:53 PM »

R.I.P

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2013, 02:26:36 PM »

It seems the Squamish Pinks are early by 2 weeks compared to 2011.  Does anybody think the Fraser Pinks will also be early?

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #35 on: July 21, 2013, 03:44:20 PM »

They aren't early. normally no one talks about the small amount of early very chrome fish that start trickling in. By beginning of August anyone that has fished Furry Creek or a few of the other beaches has noticed the fishing has tapered off meaning that more have reached the river already

My buddy was on the river yesterday and got a late start. he arrived with a friend around 9am and the entire bar was lined with guys already. he didn't see much action for himself or anyone else
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

hotrod

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2013, 07:01:18 AM »

Hit the squam yesterday to test drive my new TCX 8119 Switch rod and get my son spey casting as well!! We were there shortly after first light. I saw more fisherman than fish. Managed to lose one in the four hours and same for my son. Went back for the evening and saw a couple hooked but really not too exciting in terms of numbers of fish. Saw a tone of guys at Furry creek in the morning

The new rod is an absolute rocket!! And was good to see my 12 yr old son spey casting too. It was a beauty of a day to be out on the river!
Still kinda early yet!

hotrod

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2013, 08:44:16 AM »

why are you starting him so late Hotrod ?  ;)

I have shown my 4yr old a bit of two handing already. Plan to show him more in August for pinks, he is already becoming quite the sniper with his spinner outfit though, as we have been practicing in the boat on lakes. He aims for my fly bobbers as a target LoL
Check out our new blog

big_fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2013, 03:47:39 PM »

I have shown my 4yr old a bit of two handing already. Plan to show him more in August for pinks, he is already becoming quite the sniper with his spinner outfit though, as we have been practicing in the boat on lakes. He aims for my fly bobbers as a target LoL

Aren't you just better than everyone else...? ::) Starting your boy earlier than everyone else, suggesting others using buzz bombs are snagging fish. You probably think you have a longer rod than everyone else lol... ::)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2013, 11:04:23 AM »

The local Sport Fishing Advisory Committee has made recommendation to the District of Squamish to develop designated parking areas for this Squamish River pink salmon fishing season. Please see poster.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2013, 11:47:48 AM »

actually I don't, but your free to think that. I was just grinding his gears a little cause im sure his kid(s) have been fishing since they were very small. I believe he only picked up the two hander a couple years ago himself.

I personally know several people that have had their kids learning to single hand cast at the age of 3 so im actually a bit behind. My son is more interested in two handing anyhow because I have asked him if he wanted to learn single and his reply was (when im a bit bigger maybe) Switch rods are great for teaching little guys, very light and fairly short and I said I have shown him a bit, meaning that I have let him pretend to cast the rod just going through the motions. My son is obsessed with fishing so why wouldn't I start teaching him ? Also having pinks this year to really get him interested is perfect.

will it really aggravate you to know my 2yr will be reeling in pinks also ? My 4yr old did the same when he was 2 and loved it

Buzz bombs ? I have never seen them used other than to snag pinks, I even see lots of people leave the treble hooks on them  ???

Thanks for the parking update Rod  ;D

PS - I actually like a shorter rod  :P
« Last Edit: July 23, 2013, 12:00:24 PM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

samw

« Reply #41 on: July 23, 2013, 02:14:52 PM »

Buzz bombs ? I have never seen them used other than to snag pinks, I even see lots of people leave the treble hooks on them  ???

That's unfortunate.  I caught all of my pinks from beach on buzz bombs using circle hooks and have never snagged one.  It works.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: July 23, 2013, 02:56:06 PM »

That's unfortunate.  I caught all of my pinks from beach on buzz bombs using circle hooks and have never snagged one.  It works.

X2

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #43 on: July 23, 2013, 03:38:55 PM »

There is a way to catch them in the Fraser on buzz bombs with less snagging. You have to let it get right down deep and then.... lift, retieve slow, drop ....repeat,.... Like fishing the BB in the chuck, just got to get down deep. Reel in up to where you can get snagged on the bottom then real in fast lifting the rod. Usually this will get them far out on the cast not so much near shore. We ended up with 4 out of 5 hooked from them biting the lure. Works well on the deeper parts of the lower river.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

hotrod

« Reply #44 on: July 23, 2013, 05:47:40 PM »

LMAO!!!
It's all good! Have had my son  out since he was 2! It's a lot of fun ,as you know hook, and now I have a very good partner on the river and so will you or anybody who passes on the sacred knowledge. I have 4 kids, so very busy and the best way to get to the river is teach them all!

Cheers fellas!

hotrod