Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish Pinks  (Read 71093 times)

RiverRunner

Re: Squamish Pinks
« Reply #240 on: August 18, 2013, 04:25:53 PM »

90% fly fisherman on the river it seemed, yet they fowl hooked the majority of the fish due to mass numbers and dirty water, unless the hump grew a mouth and bites flys...

Tuckster

« Reply #241 on: August 18, 2013, 04:39:15 PM »

What is causing the poor vis? Is it the rain?

Still not super familiar with river fishing.....how long/what conditions does it take for the river to start to clear a bit after it murks up?

DanJohn

• First Brookie!
« Reply #242 on: August 18, 2013, 04:56:38 PM »

90% fly fisherman on the river it seemed, yet they fowl hooked the majority of the fish due to mass numbers and dirty water, unless the hump grew a mouth and bites flys...

yup. too easy to snag em. one you figure out how deep they are though, you can avoid lots. had 15 legit tug my line on the retrieve bites, with about 10 snagged. my wife did pretty good. about the same numbers too. just gotta try to let the fly slide past them when you feel the bumps and not hook set. No chrome for us though. one decent doe, but it was too early to  bonk and leave her sit for hours.
Give me a fish, I eat for a day. Teach me to fish, all my money goes away!

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #243 on: August 18, 2013, 05:23:46 PM »

A small/light pink blade under a float works very well. Pink wool worked "ok" too.

I did some test with large spoon but no much luck. I think they are better match for the beach or the Fraser when it opens.

What kind of water were you fishing in?  I would imagine slow moving water you should get some hooks ups with a spoon.  Faster moving water, you would be better off with float fishing.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #244 on: August 18, 2013, 06:12:11 PM »

I took took out my spinning, pin and switch rods last outing and kept moving back and fourth. Could not swing spoons without foul hooking too many fish, only 3 were legit of the 8 hooked on a spoon. Fly fishing with a floating tip produced about 70% legit hook ups (probaby 40 fish hooked with a few completely swallowing the fly) and not one fish snagged on the pin. Floating jigs, blades and the killer (dic nites) was great. Classic nose hook set every time. Leader was about a foot and a half to two feet and my float was slid right up to my pencil lead, similar to how I float fish for chum. 

Mr Z

« Reply #245 on: August 18, 2013, 06:41:52 PM »

What kind of water were you fishing in?  I would imagine slow moving water you should get some hooks ups with a spoon.  Faster moving water, you would be better off with float fishing.

Yes I agree, the areas I fished so far were relatively fast runs.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #246 on: August 18, 2013, 09:58:16 PM »

oh look it's one of those pinks flossed in murky water with 12 inches of leader! (sarcasm)
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

zap brannigan

« Reply #247 on: August 18, 2013, 10:09:54 PM »

fishing beneath the train bridge on the mam.