Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish Pinks  (Read 71092 times)

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
Re: Squamish Pinks
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2013, 04:16:41 PM »

The gate is just past the Railway Museam on the First Nation Reserve. There may be a solution in the works but it is takeing it's time to get resolved. Just for clarification, the Mamquam bar is not as nice as it has been in some years and it's not going to be able to handle as many anglers as in the past. Going to get silly, stupid very quickly

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2013, 10:18:55 PM »

Thanks. Is it possible to fish further south (e.g. towards the spit)? I don't mind buying an additional (saltwater) licence; more important is getting into some fish, though an uncrowded spot would be nice. I've heard this fishery can be good; with multi-fish days being the norm (when they're about). Sounds like fun!

Feel free to e-mail.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2013, 10:23:07 PM by zabber »
A rig out of water catches no fish.

Humpy

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2013, 10:43:33 PM »

Anyone know a spot for a starting point for catching these pinks?
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2013, 07:48:20 AM »

Anyone know a spot for a starting point for catching these pinks?

-Cheakamus River; Mamquam River downstream of the CN rail bridge; and
-the Squamish River downstream of boundary signs at the powerline crossing
approximately 1.5 km upstream of the confluence with the Cheakamus River.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2013, 05:54:51 PM »

Howe sound  :P
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2013, 05:36:02 PM »

Howe sound  :P

You got it Hook, the sound was awesome today. I caught and released 10 today, as it was an spectacular day of fly fishing for pink salmon in my dingy off the beaches of Howe Sound.  I had to pack it in early as my arms were getting sore.  I was anchored offshore and casting into the shallows, sometimes practically at the feet of guys fishing on shore (the guy waded right into the spot where I was casting :o), and I was hooking them left, right and center.  I hooked a couple on my classic pink clouser, but then tied on your Chartreuse clouser and man did they love that fly.  At one time I had 3 fish on in 3 casts.
Not all those who wander are lost

300zxfairlady

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2013, 05:44:11 PM »

You got it Hook, the sound was awesome today. I caught and released 10 today, as it was an spectacular day of fly fishing for pink salmon in my dingy off the beaches of Howe Sound.  I had to pack it in early as my arms were getting sore.  I was anchored offshore and casting into the shallows, sometimes practically at the feet of guys fishing on shore (the guy waded right into the spot where I was casting :o), and I was hooking them left, right and center.  I hooked a couple on my classic pink clouser, but then tied on your Chartreuse clouser and man did they love that fly.  At one time I had 3 fish on in 3 casts.

that sounds amazing.. Where abouts along Howe Sound were you fishing? I went with my little brother today to the mouth of the capilano and it was completely dead.. been trying to get him into a salmon for a long time. Iv heard guys wade out near furry creek but that's about it.. is there a stretch between the mouth of cap and squamish that you guys are specificly fishing at?

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2013, 05:52:08 PM »

that sounds amazing.. Where abouts along Howe Sound were you fishing? I went with my little brother today to the mouth of the capilano and it was completely dead.. been trying to get him into a salmon for a long time. Iv heard guys wade out near furry creek but that's about it.. is there a stretch between the mouth of cap and squamish that you guys are specificly fishing at?

Furry Creek is probably the best spot to take him as the beach is huge at low tide (and usually still crowded), Brittania Beach is another.  There are a few spots between Horseshoe Bay and Porteau Cove but you need to hike down to them and it can be challenging.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2013, 06:13:21 PM »

the Clouser strikes again !!  ;)

I actually found out how well it worked by fluke years ago. Pink wasn't getting many hits anymore on the Squamish one morning. I stood there staring into my fly box wondering what to try and then decided "wonder if they will take green" so I tied on the clouser. cast it out and proceeded to hit a fish every cast to every few casts the rest of the day. I lost count at over 50 fish !!  :o

Sandman - how do your arms get sore reeling in pinks ?  :P lol

P.S. - there is times when even the clouser wont get many fish, usually those days they are strickly on pink, once in awhile its blue. sometimes you need half of your fly to be silver or gold to get consistent action. Yes pinks are an easy to catch fish however they can also be fickle little buggers once in awhile
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 06:20:17 PM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

bkk

• Good fishing is earned by hard work.
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2013, 06:28:55 PM »

Furry Creek is probably the best spot to take him as the beach is huge at low tide (and usually still crowded), Brittania Beach is another.  T

Don't go to Brittania Beach area as that is closed to all fin fish at this time of year. The boundary markers are from the point at Minaty Bay straight line to a white marker on the rocks just north of Brittania Creek. Check the saltwater regs for the legal description.

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2013, 06:33:40 PM »

Sandman - how do your arms get sore reeling in pinks ?  :P lol

A couple of them had a 250 pound seal attached to it...  ;)

Actually, my rod arm has been sore for a while since I upgraded from a 30lb recurve bow to a 60lb compound.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2013, 06:45:12 PM »

I was giving you a hard time. I love fighting seals on a 5wt, what a blast !

best is trying to dodge them as they sweep into shore along the Squamish river. I had to jump over one and also got knocked flying trying to dodge one on the same day. I zagged when I should have zigged and placed myself right in its swim path ..... ouch ! It can be pretty freaky the first time you see this huge black mass chasing a school of fish around your feet when your only ankle deep, especially when the fish go through your legs !!
had the seal beach itself behind us chasing fish a few days after the trip I got knocked down. I haven't seen them that aggressive up there since then. I actually kind of hope to see it again cause it was intense and exciting to see nature in its purest form  ;D
Check out our new blog

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2013, 06:57:25 PM »

Don't go to Brittania Beach area as that is closed to all fin fish at this time of year. The boundary markers are from the point at Minaty Bay straight line to a white marker on the rocks just north of Brittania Creek. Check the saltwater regs for the legal description.

Yeah, good to know.  I was thinking of that pebble beach in Minaty Bay.

jimmywits

« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2013, 08:20:42 PM »

where did you launch your dingy? What size is it?

Old Blue

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2013, 08:27:15 PM »

2000 views of this thread......GONG!!