Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Squamish Pinks  (Read 71094 times)

fishseeker

• Old Timer
Squamish Pinks
« on: July 08, 2013, 12:50:39 PM »

I have not fished the Squamish river for pinks before but I do believe they are supposed to be back in that system this year.

Can anybody tell me if it Is it better to fish the first or the second week of August?   I am planning to take time off and I would like to avoid the period around that long weekend at the beginning of August if the fishing is likely to be just as good in the second week.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: Squamish Pinks
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2013, 01:14:42 PM »

The amount of fish moving through the system shouldn't differ too much during those two weeks. If the tide is right, then you should see lots of fish moving into the lower river. With that being said, it's difficult to say how abundant they will be this year until they actually start returning, which is why no retention opening is announced yet.

Fishing pressure also shouldn't differ too much, weekdays are almost as equally busy as weekends at the more popular stretches of the river.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2013, 05:17:09 PM »

Rod I dead on about the fishing pressure. I have gone weekdays and weekends and its basically the same even if you get there in the dark a lot of the more popular spots are filling up by day break.

I will be up that way the second week/weekend in August  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

fishseeker

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2013, 05:22:56 PM »

Interesting..I would have expected it to be less busy during the week...oh well.   I guess I will just go with the second week if the run is going to be much the same at that point - at least I will have a pretty good idea how it has shaped up by then.

Thanks.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2013, 05:51:20 PM »

Every pink year I usually start hunting them along the beaches heading to the Squamish in mid July. I find not very many really start entering the river itself until the last few days of July, the run picks up by the second week and then by the third week you start seeing a lot of dark fish staging with some chrome ones still arriving. Mid august I will stop heading that way and start seeking out the pinks in the Fraser instead
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

kid fisherman

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2013, 06:50:18 PM »

Every pink year I usually start hunting them along the beaches heading to the Squamish in mid July. I find not very many really start entering the river itself until the last few days of July, the run picks up by the second week and then by the third week you start seeing a lot of dark fish staging with some chrome ones still arriving. Mid august I will stop heading that way and start seeking out the pinks in the Fraser instead

Thanks for the info Hook

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2013, 10:56:49 AM »

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=152404&ID=recreational

FYI, in case you are unaware of this, currently driving has been closed along the gravel road leading up to the Mamquam River mouth (see earlier discussion), so it will be a LONG walk for anyone who wishes to fish that stretch of the river.

Humpy

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2013, 11:16:27 AM »

For somebody that has never fished this river, where is a good starting point? Any help is appreciated.
Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

rheticus

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2013, 11:19:26 AM »

AND the DFO site indicates that subareas 28-1 to 28-5 are "Closed until further notice." Does this mean no fishing, or just no retention?

See:
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/a-s28-eng.html#Pink

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2013, 11:22:20 AM »

The notice just came out an hour ago, so the main static site is most likely not updated yet but hopefully soon.

Here is the notice for sub-areas 28-1 to 5 (Howe Sound).

http://www-ops2.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/xnet/content/fns/index.cfm?pg=view_notice&lang=en&DOC_ID=152400&ID=recreational

rln

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2013, 11:56:33 AM »

best part is the opening to retention is happening just has the run is entering the river. Pictures from last weekends catch are floating around out there and the fish are in great shape right now.

leapin' tyee

• can't get enough
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2013, 01:10:45 PM »

FYI, in case you are unaware of this, currently driving has been closed along the gravel road leading up to the Mamquam River mouth (see earlier discussion), so it will be a LONG walk for anyone who wishes to fish that stretch of the river.

= less people..... ;D

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2013, 01:32:35 PM »

Yup, it's going to be a long, hot walk in waders and boots.
Anyone looking to carry an icebox better head to the Fraser/Vedder.  ;D

norm_2

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2013, 03:51:49 PM »

I was not sure how the daily salmon retention limits apply when fishing both the salt and fresh water in one day.  In case you were too, I will save you the time to look.  It is from page 7 of the salt water regulations.

"If you fish both tidal and non-tidal waters the same day, the daily limit
is inclusive for both tidal and non-tidal areas" 

zabber

• Sometimes I fish, sometimes I catch
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2013, 04:10:55 PM »

Yup, it's going to be a long, hot walk in waders and boots.

Any ideas as to where the gate is? Near where the dyke rd meets up with Gov't Rd, or is it further north?

Thnx
A rig out of water catches no fish.