Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2009 Stave River salmon fishery  (Read 63747 times)

kodiak

Re: 2009 Stave River salmon fishery
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 04:45:23 PM »

I use spoons with good sucess. Will have to try some jigs this year.

fisher man

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 06:41:28 PM »

I was up there yesterday with my daughter saw one jump,talked to another guy he said he saw one jump.So maybe there starting to stick there noses into the system.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2009, 08:41:17 PM by Rodney »

fish2much

• It's all about how you wiggle the worm
« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2009, 06:52:11 PM »

I spent a few hours on the lower part of the stave after work today and didn't see any sign of salmon, there was a seal waiting for them though,  lots of cutts to be had however.
As a side note; anyone ever hear about seals biting people or anything? they get really close and when I was drifting the stave today all I could think about is how much my flippers with gold writing on them must look tasty.

Clarki Hunter

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2009, 12:00:28 AM »

I spent a few hours on the lower part of the stave after work today and didn't see any sign of salmon, there was a seal waiting for them though,  lots of cutts to be had however.
As a side note; anyone ever hear about seals biting people or anything? they get really close and when I was drifting the stave today all I could think about is how much my flippers with gold writing on them must look tasty.

Is it a pretty easy kick around?  Much current to speak of?

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2009, 07:38:08 AM »

If your small in stature a seal will definitely take a go at your jugular. Best defense is to imitate being a seal. Too many incidents this year with seal already.
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2009, 08:18:45 AM »

Is it a pretty easy kick around?  Much current to speak of?

tidal currents at the mouth get pretty stong, though there is the odd person in a tube or pontoon.
not sure about seals after what happened this year

bcsixgill

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2009, 08:41:11 AM »

When I used to dive a lot, my  split fins used to get bitten by seals all the time.  Not hard enough to leave marks though.  I had one sneak up behind me one time and drag me backwards for a couple of seconds.  Every jaws movie I ever saw came back in mind.  Scared the living _ _ _ _ out of me until I realized what it was.  Was also body checked by a big one during a night dive.  I think they're just playful, but they have a lot of power.

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2009, 11:39:50 AM »

I literally had one almost take my hand off my 3rd day on the island (just moved).
I was just landing a chromer doe pink for a pic (was just grabbing the tail base in the water), saw a brown blur coming at me and instinctvly let the fish go.
The fish got devoured 2 feet in front of me... water was so clear I could see the blood. Thats scared the hell out of me.
Also have had a few bump into my legs out here beach fishing so far, pretty hard hit, enough to knock you over if you are not prepared (and these are relativly small seals)
Best not to take too many chances if you can, most of the time they are most interested in the fish though, especially the ones flashing on the end of your line.  ;D

Rybar

« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2009, 12:52:29 PM »

I find Chum to bite almost anything. I've hooked quite a few with Blades of various sizes and colours.

Jaws

« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2009, 10:59:36 PM »

I remember one year there was a seal in the Vedder and two days after there was one dead on the shore.  The hole in its side looked like lead poisoning to me.

Anyways, probably will give the Stave a try this weekend.  Any reports from today or yesterday?

Derek Mcl

« Reply #25 on: October 01, 2009, 02:37:37 PM »

How classy.

I remember one year there was a seal in the Vedder and two days after there was one dead on the shore.  The hole in its side looked like lead poisoning to me.

mr.p

« Reply #26 on: October 01, 2009, 02:39:41 PM »

Lead poisoning?  As in a bullet wound? 
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #27 on: October 01, 2009, 06:56:36 PM »

not just seals.two bears crossed teh river right below me today, crappy cellphone pic

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #28 on: October 01, 2009, 09:13:36 PM »

The bears get trapped on the east side every year. Everytime one bear gets removed another one moves in.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2009, 09:22:00 AM »

Anyways, probably will give the Stave a try this weekend.  Any reports from today or yesterday?

Might have been suicide.