Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2008 Vedder River conditions  (Read 58861 times)

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
2008 Vedder River conditions
« on: January 01, 2008, 02:29:32 PM »

Once again the water conditions were good but a East wind would have made getting a good drift difficult I thought.

For that reason I was a fair weather fisherman today. ??? I spend some time having coffee with friends, visited another and did a tour of the river. By the reports I got the fishing was slow and heard of only one taken, that was different from yesterday's reports.

I also saw a vehicle a Teskey Rock with a broken side window and also was told by my CO friend of another that he heard had been broken in around Tamihi today as well.

I was also told of another break-in above On the Way Store and one by the store as well as a vehicle stolen yesterday so keep your eyes open when in the area and leave nothing of value in your car.

It has got to the point I try to keep the Leaf Mobile in sight when I am fishing although it cuts down on places one can fish.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: 2008 Vedder River conditions
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2008, 02:39:53 PM »

Sad to hear about those break ins. Have you heard anything about the "bait car" Chris ?

allwaysfishin

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2008, 03:58:42 PM »

had a chat with a rcmp buddy of mine, he was on duty doing the chilliwack  lake road patrol this mornin and happened to pull up just as i was leavin wilson road. 4 vehicles from the crossing up had been broken into between first light and 8:30 a.m. ..... and in that same time.... i didn't get a sniff on the run i was fishin.
from wilson down to almost the train bridge is the area i covered today with a thorough cast n blast with bait and blades. Saw one fish taken between lickman and train bridge from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30.
water conditions were pretty perfect to gettin low in spots, and as Chris mentioned, the darn wind was howlin good today and only let up briefly around the noon hour. no fish for me today, BUT a fellow below me a couple rods down river from me landed a still shiny and near chrome wild buck coho about 10/11 lbs. I'm writing that one in my log as one of the latest cleanish cohos i've seen on the chilliwack.

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2008, 05:03:03 PM »

Today I picked up a bunch of fishing tackle, ring box, tools, and a car registation that was left on the side of the road, I believe it was the remains of a car break in. I was going to drop it off at freds on the way by, but they were closed today. Ill try and drop it off there tomorrow.

No fish for me or anyone else I came across.

The Bigger The Better!

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2008, 05:25:26 PM »

Today I picked up a bunch of fishing tackle, ring box, tools, and a car registation that was left on the side of the road, I believe it was the remains of a car break in. I was going to drop it off at freds on the way by, but they were closed today. Ill try and drop it off there tomorrow.

No fish for me or anyone else I came across.

It might be better to take it to the RCMP.

bentrod

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2008, 06:31:35 PM »

I'd love to see a checkpoint set up at the Vedder X-ing randomly throughout the year (especially during high break-in times).  They 'd stop everyone and do some questioning and look for probable cause to search for stolen items.  Obviously, the vast majority of people would be sent on their merry way without any hassel.  However, if you have random break in items visible in your car, don't live up there and aren't fishing, you'll probably be questioned some more.  Even if the search thing is a little too aggressive, they could at least keep tabs on license plates and id's.  They do this in Washington state for DUI's.  Everyone gets pulled over at the checkpoint and questioned.  If they smell alcohol or show other signs, it's breathalizer time. 

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2008, 07:26:11 PM »

Sad to hear about those break ins. Have you heard anything about the "bait car" Chris ?
Unfortunately we have not been able to get it off the ground yet. :-[

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2008, 09:54:00 PM »

That's hilarious. Maybe if the mother had raised her son a little better, there won't be as many break ins...

younggun

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2008, 11:08:54 PM »

River is looking good today, wind sucked! water is cold! no fish seen or caught.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 03:42:51 AM by Rodney »
Fish killer 101

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2008, 08:10:34 AM »

We had heavy rain overnight here in Chilliwack so not sure what conditions will be but temperature is 4 degrees now and river gauge at Vedder Crossing did not rise so maybe it will still be in.

We have a meeting with the City of Chilliwack later this, morning re the proposed dyke closures on the Vedder Canal so I will check conditions later in the day and report back.

armytruck

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2008, 10:17:08 AM »

fishonsteelheader and I fished the upper river , I got into one , looked to be in the teens , got it behind a big boulder in a few inches of water and sat there didn't want to move :P , then it did a rollover and the hook popped out  :'( .  fishonsteelheader down below me , same thing , spat the hook  ::) . Another smacked my hook an hour later , that was it , smacked . It was a good day anyway  ;D .                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 Sorry to here about the break ins , my car was all alone up where we were but no troubles .               
"Everyone ought to believe in something;  I believe I'll go fishing."

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2008, 05:29:27 PM »

Checked conditions in the Lower at 4:30 this afternoon and conditions were fishable.

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2008, 07:16:04 PM »

Chris are you going to be fishing tomorrow?
Actions speak louder than words.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 03:46:35 AM »

Chris has started a new thread on car break-ins on this page and I've moved one of the posts over there now, so this thread would not stray away from the topic.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 02:30:36 PM »

Went up at first light today, stopped at the lower but it was so windy I didn't bother putting on the waders and drove to the upper. Conditions were near perfect, very little wind, good visibility and not too crowded .... the water had dropped at least a foot or more since I was there last week.  Really started to rain by 10:30 and by the time I drove back down at noon the water by Tamahi was coloring up quickly because of the clay banks.

Was hoping to land a hatchery to clean and show body parts to my grade 5 class...we've started our salmonid unit again and will be raising coho in our classroom incubator.  Did manage to land a wild one, tailed it, and took a quick photo.....