Sporting
- 20 (29%)
Harvest for any species of salmon
- 5 (7.2%)
Snagging
- 19 (27.5%)
Harvest but only for Sockeye
- 17 (24.6%)
Dont care I'll do what ever is in the regs that gives me the best chance to catch a fish regardless if it bites or not.
- 8 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: 2007 Fraser River selective fishing method request notice  (Read 54239 times)

Mike D.

Re: 2007 Fraser River selective fishing method request notice
« Reply #30 on: June 27, 2007, 11:37:49 AM »

Well apparently the high water is going to effect the mortallity of the Early Stu's......they find a different excuse every year  ::) the water reely isn't that high for this time of year either.......

So flossing and releasing affects the mortallity rate of sockeye so badly that they begin to attack spin n' glos  :D

I remember in 2005 everyone was out there flossing springs (almost) I think I even saw you out there flossing them rod, could be wrong though but it sure looked like you  ;D, and DFO didn't have a problem with that, that was the year that sockeye were closed until the beginning of september.....they just said to be smart when releasing the fish....thats all they asked....and I don't think there was anymore sockeye floating down the river than, than there will be this season.....

But rules are rules, and bar fishing is actually a relaxing & productive sport, and of coure I will abide to the DFO "Requests"....

Mike <"))))><

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #31 on: June 27, 2007, 11:44:35 AM »

:-*

Mike D.

« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2007, 11:48:39 AM »

Yep, busted, that was me out there flossing springs, that's why I have created a virtual sanctuary here to accommodate those who choose to fish unethically. ::)

LOL  ;D just raising some h e double hockey sticks on here Rod  :D

Mike <"))))><

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2007, 11:54:57 AM »

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2007, 12:57:31 PM »

There is no way  to "selectivity" bottom bounce, anything that gets in that hooks way will get nailed.  Anyone who thinks otherwise should give their head a shake.  I have "caught" sturgeon, trout, squaw fish, coho, chinook, pink, chum, sockeye, by bottom bouncing...not that thats an accomplishment, its simply a reflection of the fact that it is a non selective method.

As well, all a leader restriction does in minimize the effectiveness of flossing because it reduces the chance of running your line thru a fish's mouth.  leader restrictions will not protect a non target species.

PS - does anyone find it pathetic that last year the was too little water and it was too warm hence DFO expected that to affect survival rates and now theres too much...which once again they are saying will negatively impact survival rates...seems like no matter what, they want to try and blame the river/conditions opposed to being accountable for things like poaching or lack of enforcement.

Mike D.

« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2007, 03:45:21 PM »

PS - does anyone find it pathetic that last year the was too little water and it was too warm hence DFO expected that to affect survival rates and now theres too much...which once again they are saying will negatively impact survival rates...seems like no matter what, they want to try and blame the river/conditions opposed to being accountable for things like poaching or lack of enforcement.

UHHHH YA! I laugh every time "mortallity" comes into a sentance w/ DFO...like I stated earlier....no more fish will be floating down this year than last, and the past 5 years before that....

What is an IDEAL condition for SOCKEYE?

Mike <"))))><

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2007, 04:07:26 PM »

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2007, 04:15:46 PM »

What is an IDEAL condition for SOCKEYE?

Perhaps those who choose to criticize, aka laugh, at DFO's concerns should do some extensive research on the above stated question before openly disregard the validity of research by staff of DFO, who are trained biologists and resource managers. If one does not know the ideal condition for returning sockeye salmon, then on what basis can he or she suggest that DFO's concern on high, low or warm water is wrong?

The question is , do you really think D.F.O. cares ??? I personally think they are so worried about upsetting the Natives and Commercial fishermen that the fish come last !!! Rodney do you honestly believe that the D.F.O really care about the fish ??? So much red tape .. so much bureaucracy ...
if they really cared about this run of Sockeye there would be a complete closure and that means everybody... stopping a few people from accidentally catching a Sockeye or two whilst fishing for Springs is going to make NO noticeable difference in the grand scheme of things.... this is what is so upsetting !!!  >:(

TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

river walker

« Reply #38 on: June 27, 2007, 04:21:27 PM »

not to mention the lack of presence durring the illegal native drift net fisheries that i see happening on a daily basis.  I have had my boat boarded several times this year! 
"Second best head..... STEELHEAD"

Mike D.

« Reply #39 on: June 27, 2007, 04:34:36 PM »

I can gurantee you Rodney that 80-90% of the fisherman out there wonder and think the same things that THICKRICK, GOOEY, and MYSELF have posted.

The raping and bias on the fraser river needs to stop, maybe they should spend more than 95% of their time worrying about us, and put it towards some of the "illegal" netting.

Its also the BIOLOGISTS if I can call them that, that SCREWED up many systems, and make false aquisitions...such as closing the river to fraser river white sturgeon in the williams lake area, people up there know that there is still a strong abundance of fish to be c&r and are just as confused as us worried anglers down here over the apparent "charging" of sturgeon anglers to fish lower fraser sturgeon.!

Mike <")))><

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2007, 04:44:56 PM »

Nicole

• Old Timer
    • My Fishing Pics
« Reply #41 on: June 27, 2007, 05:00:08 PM »

I've submitted a pitch to the news desk for coverage on the illegal sales of sockeye up in hope...

Hopefully CBC decides to pick up the story, the whole thing is a disgrace.

Natives should be policing each other, it's unreal the amount of greed that exists.

Cheers,
Nicole
"Ruin is the destination toward which all men rush, each pursuing his own best interest in a society that believes in the freedom of the commons. Freedom in the commons brings ruin to all."

-Garrett Hardin

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #42 on: June 27, 2007, 05:14:25 PM »

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2007, 06:56:31 PM »

In the end you can write long Paragraphs all night long but the truth is still the same, Recreational fisherman, whether they be bottom bouncing or "selective fishing" will never cause even 10% of the damage to the Sockeye runs as "legal" or "Illegal" netting . Raping the river over and over again year after year is going to decimate the Salmon runs in the Fraser !!!
D.F.O. requesting Rec Fishermen to selective fish is just a public ploy to make them look like they actually give a $hit
TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2007, 07:03:01 PM »

Hey, as long as everyone selects a fishing method and doesn't target and retain sockeye when sockeye are closed, then we don't have a problem.