Sporting
- 20 (29%)
Harvest for any species of salmon
- 5 (7.2%)
Snagging
- 19 (27.5%)
Harvest but only for Sockeye
- 17 (24.6%)
Dont care I'll do what ever is in the regs that gives me the best chance to catch a fish regardless if it bites or not.
- 8 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: 2007 Fraser River selective fishing method request notice  (Read 54234 times)

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
Re: 2007 Fraser River selective fishing method request notice
« Reply #180 on: July 04, 2007, 01:15:16 PM »

So tell me Gord, how do the resident fish eat in the Fraser ??? if the fish can't see in the muddy water obviously according to you're logic they must all just starve !!  ::)

You are so shortsighted in you're posts sometimes, you only see what you want to see !!  when the river is thick with fish and they see a corky or a chunk of wool float by , of course they are going to strike at it.. I think you would be really surprised with how much vision the fish have even in a muddy river such as the Fraser

TH

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #181 on: July 04, 2007, 01:27:16 PM »

So tell me Gord, how do the resident fish eat in the Fraser ??? if the fish can't see in the muddy water obviously according to you're logic they must all just starve !!  ::)

You are so shortsighted in you're posts sometimes, you only see what you want to see !!  when the river is thick with fish and they see a corky or a chunk of wool float by , of course they are going to strike at it.. I think you would be really surprised with how much vision the fish have even in a muddy river such as the Fraser

TH

The sockeye and the springs are not resident fish so thats not comparable. Resident fish adapt to their surroundings and their instincts and senses adapt. Here is a good example. I know that blind peoples hearing is much better than most that are not blind. When someone loses a sense another sense generally gets stronger. It happens in the wildlife as well.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
    • BB Pics
« Reply #182 on: July 04, 2007, 01:40:52 PM »

TH

The sockeye and the springs are not resident fish so thats not comparable. Resident fish adapt to their surroundings and their instincts and senses adapt. Here is a good example. I know that blind peoples hearing is much better than most that are not blind. When someone loses a sense another sense generally gets stronger. It happens in the wildlife as well.

Trying to reason with narrow minded people that have already made up their minds and can't see a different view reminds me of talking to a WALL
I think their is another fishing (back stabbing) site where you might feel more at home  ;)

::) ??? ??? ::)

« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 01:44:31 PM by TrophyHunter »

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
    • BB Pics
« Reply #183 on: July 04, 2007, 01:46:32 PM »

TH

If you truly believe that BB , then I think you have been staring at you're computer screen too long  :P

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #184 on: July 04, 2007, 01:53:39 PM »

Good thoughts Rick but I think BB answered it well and accurately.

One big problem with this snaggery is when it's called bottom bouncing and then compared to what is a legitimate angling practice. We need to be careful and call things what they are instead of trying to justify something by dragging in other stuff (ie 'bottom bouncing', European angling practices, FN nets etc).

A good Chinese saying goes something as as follows:
"..a part of wisdom is calling something what it is"

Or, "A problem accurately stated is a problem half solved".
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #185 on: July 04, 2007, 02:09:10 PM »

ive found the catch ratio of early run sockeye is comparable with both methods.  If the fish is played right and kept in the water and revived properly there is no reason it should not survive. what should be enforced is the regulations and proper release techniques as there is a million idiots dragging them up on shore and kicking them in the water or even killing them out of season. netting in itself can be a problem and the dfo should do active checks to ensure the natives and commercial guys are using the proper sized mesh to avoid catching the sockeye, they have the right to fish the river but its time to unify all fisherman and not just natives,sporties and commercial guys separately. that being said its been brought up a million times, the fraser river is a meat fishery, bottom bouncing there is the equivalent of sight fishing unwilling coho on the upper river. while you may hook it in the mouth the method is questionable but in fact legal under the regs so long as its in the mouth. i would not mind the month of july to be bar fishing only as that is usually when the water clears well enough to barf and they early run passes in numbers. let them bottom bounce may and june as there isnt many around then but close it july to august to barfish only, i think that would be fair to all.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #186 on: July 04, 2007, 02:21:27 PM »

TH

If you truly believe that BB , then I think you have been staring at you're computer screen too long  :P

Well lets see. Salmon are not resident fish and when returning they are heading for their home rivers to spawn and thats it. The resident fish are not always on the move and know whats in the river to feed off of. When salmon are on the move they are not feeding. When they bite it is most likely they are biting out of aggression and reactionary. Once the salmon are in their home rivers they will feed and thats why they take roe and other baits so readily. Common methods on the Fraser such as barfishing and throwing spoons its clearly from a reacionary bite and not from feeding fish. Notice how uncommon it is to hear of a spring being caught with such poor visibility from those methods just mentioned. Its because the fish cant see the lures being presented and hence no fish being caught. Flossing springs on the other hand this time of year when the river has no visibilty are being caught frequently. Is it just coincidence? I think not.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

• Old Timer
« Reply #187 on: July 04, 2007, 02:30:19 PM »

Kingpin, exactly, there ISNT as many fish going through in May and June. 10 years ago these small runs of early Chinook went through unmolested due to dirty water and high conditions. Now 'sport' anglers are getting a piece of this pie in large numbers. DFO will have no choice but for closures in light of this or risk losing some runs. Between the nets and now the snaggers, this is a bit of a concern.
The Fraser, or any other system, shouldnt be passed off as a meat fishery either. This 'meat fishery' is a creation by a segment of angling that's grown and will continue to grow considerably. It has also grown to include most other systems. In a perfect world, guys would snag a few sockeye in the Fraser and that would be it. But it's obviously not going that way if you care to watch what goes on, say, under the Keith Wilson Bridge in the fall.

Pretty accurate BB.

Rick, how long's your leader you're using to get these sockeye and springs to bite?  ;)

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #188 on: July 04, 2007, 03:06:05 PM »

2:40 hasnt the river been closed to bar fish only in the passed, im young but i seem to remember such things
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
    • BB Pics
« Reply #189 on: July 04, 2007, 03:33:05 PM »

Rick, how long's your leader you're using to get these sockeye and springs to bite?  ;)

When I first started BB on the Fraser years ago I used about 3-4 feet of leader and I actually did very well, when I increased my leader length all I managed to do was frustrate myself with tangled lines and once in a while catching myself in the A$$... if I were to fish that fishery today I would most likely use about 4-5 feet ... but seeing as I finally checked out the amazing trout fishery in the Thompson you won't be seeing my ugly mug near any Lower Mainland rivers  ;)  you guys can have em  ;D
TH
« Last Edit: July 04, 2007, 03:34:58 PM by TrophyHunter »

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

• Old Timer
« Reply #190 on: July 04, 2007, 09:03:59 PM »

Not sure what you mean Kingpin, but happy to share the young bit too even when the kids tire me out.  :-[ There has been salmon closures that I know which means no fishing for salmon regardless of method. I dont think there's ever been restrictions other than bait.

Have fun on the Thompson Rick. Nice area and probably wont be any hotter than it is here.  :o

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #191 on: July 04, 2007, 09:42:19 PM »

hmmm i guess im mistaking i thought that the river was closed a few years back to barfishing only.... maybe my memory isnt what it used to be ;D

nosey

« Reply #192 on: July 05, 2007, 07:52:12 AM »

"ive found the catch ratio of early run sockeye is comparable with both methods.  If the fish is played right and kept in the water and revived properly there is no reason it should not survive. what should be enforced is the regulations and proper release techniques as there is a million idiots dragging them up on shore and kicking them in the water or even killing them out of season." 

Actually this one isn't true, it's been scientifically proven that the sockeye are by far the most fragile of the Fraser river salmon, running on a 5% energy reserve and suffering from large releases of lactic acid, even though that fish may look perfectly healthy when released and have been caught and released with great care, there's a good chance that the added stress has killed it. If you are on the river with daily you will notice an incredable increase in sockeye floaters shortly after sockeye season opens.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #193 on: July 05, 2007, 09:48:05 AM »

:-*