Sporting
- 20 (29%)
Harvest for any species of salmon
- 5 (7.2%)
Snagging
- 19 (27.5%)
Harvest but only for Sockeye
- 17 (24.6%)
Dont care I'll do what ever is in the regs that gives me the best chance to catch a fish regardless if it bites or not.
- 8 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 66

Author Topic: 2007 Fraser River selective fishing method request notice  (Read 54238 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
2007 Fraser River selective fishing method request notice
« on: June 22, 2007, 02:54:16 PM »

:-*

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
Re: 2007 Fraser River selective fishing method request notice
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2007, 11:38:50 PM »

I certainly hope all fishers comply with this request as I would hate to see the river closed to all sports angling for salmon.

If they donot this could happen which certainly would be a shame. :'( :(

Mike D.

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2007, 10:13:59 AM »

Thats good, I like it already....before the bar fishing season reely has come into full swing or started therefore, and we can already kick the flossers out! I feel sympathy for those poor early stu's as every year they seem to have some sort of "mortallity" problem.... :-\

Mike <"))))><

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2007, 11:38:06 AM »

Thats good, I like it already....before the bar fishing season reely has come into full swing or started therefore, and we can already kick the flossers out! I feel sympathy for those poor early stu's as every year they seem to have some sort of "mortallity" problem.... :-\

Mike <"))))><
Yes Mike it is very important to keep away from the temptation to floss as it will prove costly if not this year it will in the years ahead.

It is great to see more people all the time moving away from this type of fishing.

Even though I donot agree with the flossing anytime because it has so many drawbacks as has been debated many times but when the sockeye are open go for it even though I will never do it again after I gave it up many years ago as I have no interest in catching a fish that does not bite.

I would like to see it as do many others if we are to have a sockeye fishery take you two sockeye and call it a day or go bar fishing. Keeping at it to catch a chinook will only see our chinook fishery curtailed in the very near future. Then it will be time to take up golf or still water fishing.

It would hurt me greatly as many of us have  worked so hard to get a chinook fishery through the Fraser Valley Salmon Society over 22 years ago. It would be a sorry day if that was to happen.

Sorry Rodney if I have started the annual flossing debate but I want people to understand what could be just around the corner, you can bet on it just like betting the Leafs will never again win the Stanley Cup. ;D ;D ;D Not sure if that it a correct comparison or not. ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 11:39:55 AM by chris gadsden »

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2007, 07:23:17 PM »

Define Bar Fishing. I define it as fishing from a gravel bar opposed to fishing from a boat (which I call boat fishing). If I'm on a lake, I call that lake fishing.

While fishing from a bar, one might use a leader that is a bit longer than others and possibly a weight slightly lighter than others. It's still bar fishing.

Float fishing? Just because a foam dink float is placed on the mainline just above a BB'ing rig will make it okay? I'm confused.

Maybe DFO should be more specific instead of suggestive. Why are they just making requests to be selective?

Oh well, I'll do what I can, to comply to a request even though I love to bounce.

All Tangled Up

• Go Fish!
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2007, 08:31:41 AM »

Here we go again. Time for the heated debates!  :'(

stlhd4ever

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2007, 09:20:09 AM »

Define Bar Fishing. I define it as fishing from a gravel bar opposed to fishing from a boat (which I call boat fishing). If I'm on a lake, I call that lake fishing.

While fishing from a bar, one might use a leader that is a bit longer than others and possibly a weight slightly lighter than others. It's still bar fishing.

Float fishing? Just because a foam dink float is placed on the mainline just above a BB'ing rig will make it okay? I'm confused.

Maybe DFO should be more specific instead of suggestive. Why are they just making requests to be selective?

Oh well, I'll do what I can, to comply to a request even though I love to bounce.

Bar fishing in my mind is the use of SPREADER BARS as your terminal rigging. Hence the name bar fishing. You don't have to be on a gravel bar to do it. BB is not bar fishing it is fishing from a bar. Most people that I talk to when I mention bar fishing they ask From boat or from shore. If I am standing on any kind of shoreline and fishing I call it shorefishing. AS for throwing a float on top of a bb rig I call that bottom bouncing with an indicater. Float fishing in my mind is only when you are "floating"the bait.

Enough with that, now is the time of year for me to polish up my spoons. What kind of fishing do they call that? ??? ;D
Wishin I was Fishin

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2007, 10:27:51 AM »

Its simple, if your not catching sockeye bb,ing is there a problem. if you start catching soc's move or stop bb,ing.

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2007, 10:41:00 AM »

Let me get this right. Is this DFO sugesting that we bar fish, float fish, pulling plug or troll or is it a committee. Selective fishing could mean so many different things. I just select to use a smaller leader and that is me being selective and that is perfectly legal.

Why can't DFO just step up and say what they really want.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2007, 11:20:18 AM »

Its simple, if your not catching sockeye bb,ing is there a problem. if you start catching soc's move or stop bb,ing.

You're exactly right Jim. Now most of us who have been doing this for a while know perfectly well as to what water to target for Springs and what to target for Sockeye. THe problen is that the newbies don't make that connection yet and they will intercept sockeye. There's nothing wrong with selectively BB'ing; that's why DFO doesn't put a stop to it - they make suggestions.

Use of a Spreader Bar means you are bar fishing - Come on. I've used a spreader bar years ago for bottom bouncing to keep the lead from hammering the leader. Now I use heavy 100# dacron instead of a spreader. So if I go back to using the spreader, I'll be compliant to the DFO request by definition.

kingpin

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2007, 11:41:49 AM »

whats the survival rate when sockeye get caught with a bar rod as there were quite a few early last year caught on spin n glows. people will still bottom bounce and they may get a few sockeye while the majority will barfish and they will probably get a few as well. this debate comes up every year, they should make a leader restriction instead of asking people to fish selectively.
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Nuggy

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2007, 12:00:28 PM »

It`s funny to see the people on different forums who would run to phone DFO about others fishing regulation violations try and justify their right to work around the current regulations. It is quite simple really, if you keep flossing out of the open retention sockeye season than DFO will just shut ALL sport fishing on the Fraser down during critical salmon migration times. Than we can thank guys  who insist on openly defying this request when we can`t do ANY sport fishing on the Fraser at this time of year.

Cheers

Nuggy

« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 12:04:06 PM by Nuggy »

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2007, 12:13:52 PM »

If DFO is truly concerned about the by catch from bottom bouncing then they would just ban it all together or at least put some kind of restriction on it. I think that DFO should be more concerned with the by catch from the nets that are in the water. The nets are far more devasting to this run then  bb'ing.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Nuggy

« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2007, 12:24:00 PM »

This request notice is directed to the sport fishing population, not natives.

Cheers

Nuggy

Geff_t

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2007, 12:30:02 PM »

Maybe they should send a notice to them. All I was saying is that the nets could destroy this early run in no time at all  :'( .