Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: any news/rumours on sockeye opening?  (Read 9774 times)

cohokid

• Old Timer
  • 28 landed- 11 lost
Re: any news/rumours on sockeye opening?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2005, 11:21:27 PM »

hey pepsitrev i am with you man right oN!

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2005, 11:33:41 PM »

DFO will not open the sockeye fishery because lots of you & me in the river means more eyes to witness illegal FN drift-net fishery w/o enforcement.  If all the sporties stay home, DFO will not have to hear all these complaints about their inaction (like what Chris & others made).  With the media also involved, DFO cannot hide under the closet.  They must dislike us sporties a lot for exposing the dark side of their operation.

So, I am begining to  think (without hard evidence, just from their actions) that DFO will allow the natives to fish weeks after weeks legally, in exchange for their relative compliance to the announced openings and closures, so there will be no more public embarrassments. There are lots of sockeyes in the river.  DFO will not allow the sporties a chance to catch them with a rod & a hook, but allows the natives to harvest them with potent nets week in & week out.  Make your own conclusion about fish stock.

I don't buy DFO's reasoning any more.  They have lost my trust and their actions do not show credibility at all.  I will buy their talk of low fish stock only if they disallow the FN to fish, for the reason of conservation.  If only 100,000 fish show up and they let FN take half of that, does that sound credible from an agency set up to protect fish stock?  They think all sporties are that stupid?  
« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 11:37:49 PM by funfish »

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2005, 12:41:49 AM »

Well said Funfish

little fish

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2005, 12:59:22 AM »

I guess if there was only 100,000 sockeye  FN must have got them all! ??? Check out their numbers for this year
http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fraserriver/firstnations/HTMLs/SockeyeKeptCatch.html

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2005, 01:41:19 AM »

Hi Chris,
You're doing an awsome job having all those evidence.  What we need to do is not just show them to the officials.
They won't feel a thing.  What we need to do is inform the public as an event. And not just have short intro on the
TV. If we can arrange a successful event with over 1,000 attendees, and have petition signed in forcing DFO to ban
drifnet fishing instead use set/dipnets. And during opening time, have a supervisor. Can be volunteers,CO, DFO officer
and if illegal fishing activities happens take immediate action, not dragging their feet.

Just an idea. Hope we can soon come up with an effective action. But all in all I do believe getting the general public
informed will definitely get DFO to change their current policy.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2005, 04:54:19 AM »

Hi Chris,
You're doing an awsome job having all those evidence.  What we need to do is not just show them to the officials.
They won't feel a thing.  What we need to do is inform the public as an event. And not just have short intro on the
TV. If we can arrange a successful event with over 1,000 attendees, and have petition signed in forcing DFO to ban
drifnet fishing instead use set/dipnets. And during opening time, have a supervisor. Can be volunteers,CO, DFO officer
and if illegal fishing activities happens take immediate action, not dragging their feet.

Just an idea. Hope we can soon come up with an effective action. But all in all I do believe getting the general public
informed will definitely get DFO to change their current policy.
Good stuff. Once again SDA that was started around 7 years ago has been reaching out to the general public for that long. We have been to the Abbotsford  Sportsman show several times, Vancouver Sportsman Show, All About Fishing event etc. with our static display. Had our lawyer do group presentations talking about the legal issues a number o times, Directors travel Throughout the provence giving presentations to Fish and game clubs, appeared before the Standing Committee On Fisheries, The Williams Inquiry and of course the taking of an Illegal sockeye that was covered by the TV and print media last year.

All this to reach out to tell those that would listen what was going to happen. In some but not all it was hard to get people attend and believe their fishing opportunties were being threatened, public apathy I think it is called. To get money donated to have a lawyer prepare well in advance for cases like happen a few days ago was difficult and still is but has improved somewhat. A major fundraiser that will happen in Chilliwack in November that will hopefully generate a good sum of money and will be a sellout and people will come and spend on the auction items etc.

As you can see the SDA has been very busy it is just a lot of people have not got involved in one way or another but I feel the winds are a changing.

I will bring your post along with several others to the SDA meeting on Sunday as we appreciate your ideas and input. Thankyou

As I have said now is the time to get involved and donate what anyone can to the donation jars or send in donations.  Jars and donation forms at most sportshops.

rerigger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2005, 05:04:17 AM »

unfortunatly the canadian public do not want to know whats happening on yhe river
we have been taught that natives are the stewarts of the land and want to believe
our liberal masters know that and play that tune
everyone is beautiful  >:(

reeler

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2005, 11:39:57 AM »

Noble efforts indeed from Chris and all other concerned anglers.
This is an annual happening that probably will not last too many more years. The resource simply cannot survive and will eventually become extinct as far as the Fraser system is concerned. We all are aware of the major cause, and make no mistake about it, so is DFO and Ottawa.
 No level of government is going to risk confrontations with FN that will put anything concerning the olympics in jeapordy,millions of dollars have already changed hands to try and avoid judiciously timed land claims , blockades, etc.

The token showing of DFO on the river is just (pardon the pun) a red herring, their mandate for the last few years has been quite clear; leave FN alone to take what they want. The occasional arrest is countered with "we don't recognize your laws" How ironic that they saw nothing unusual in using that same  system to seek an injunction against us.

I personally lost the fascination for Fraser sockeye fishing after a couple of seasons of 2. a.m. alarms, race to Tim Horton's,
race to the Herrling or laidlaw zoo and all the hassles and frustrations not to mention the gas to hopefully come home tired with two sunburned fish. A 5-minute walk takes me to the Steveston dock, so for me it was something I can easily do without, although I recognize that hundreds of others look forward to the event and feel cheated.
There may be a small opening yet, who knows and the guys can get out for their "share". Openings or closings mean nothing to some FN, they will fish regardless.
Is the day coming when farmed salmon is fully acceptable to our taste in the same manner as the assembly-line chicken we have been digesting for years? Anyone remember what a real chicken tastes like?
If the Fraser stocks are lost and Ottawa no longer suffers their annual sockeye headache, will our grandchildren see another Columbia River with a series of ugly dams and stagnant lakes where the Fraser once flowed?
 Will George Bush and the Americans be the only group to benefit from all of this, think about it over your Tim's DD.

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2005, 01:17:47 PM »

:oHMMMM OK ;D

buck

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2005, 05:12:34 PM »

Fellow anglers,

Talk of a protest fishery sounds like a good idea but last years event only say about fifty anglers turn out. This was disgusting considering how many anglers participate in the fishery. There should be hundreds of anglers turn out if this fishery is to continue. No fish = Dams = Fish Farms

rerigger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2005, 10:03:10 PM »

sorry buck
it was enough
how big of a persentage of sport fisherpeople
participate in fish with rod or other on line forums
very small to say the least

rod  regardless of your hard work
you only reach so many ears
cheers

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #26 on: August 19, 2005, 01:58:40 PM »

Note, there must be NO fish in the river!
See the openings for the F/N this weekend.

Proves, " These fish ARE NOT endangered.

Subject: FN Fishing times this weekend.

Cheam:
Set Nets
1) 1800 hours, Thursday, August 18, 2005 to 1800 hours, Sunday, August 21,
Drift Nets
1) 0800 hours, Friday, August 19, 2005 to 2000 hours, Friday, August 19,
2)  0800 hours, Saturday, August 20, 2005 to 2000 hours, Saturday, August
20, 2005.

Everybody else:
Set Nets
1) 1800 hours, Thursday, August 18, 2005 to 1800 hours, Sunday, August 21,
Drift Nets
1) 0800 hours, Saturday, August 20, 2005 to 2000 hours, Saturday, August 20,
2)  0800 hours, Sunday, August 21, 2005 to 2000 hours, Sunday, August 21,

Linda Stevens
A/Resource Manager, Recreational Fisheries
Lower Fraser Division

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
« Reply #27 on: August 19, 2005, 02:49:06 PM »

how pathitic. all those openings for them and still none for us. where is our food fishery. Imean do we not eat the fish as well.At least we would eat them and not sell them.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2005, 12:54:52 AM »

I am afraid DFO thinks that only FN eat LOTS of fish, and the rest of the Canadians survive on red meats & hotdogs.  ;D  DFO thinks that natives are all in danger of cardio-vascular diseases that they need heavy dozes of Omega 3 to prevent their massive die off like the socs in the Fraser. ;D ;D ;D