Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: any news/rumours on sockeye opening?  (Read 9773 times)

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
any news/rumours on sockeye opening?
« on: August 16, 2005, 09:02:55 AM »

any news/rumnours on sockeye opening?

going crazy with hope...
« Last Edit: August 16, 2005, 09:05:39 AM by dennisK »

Geff_t

• Old Timer
  • Cork floats hand made by myself
Re: any news/rumours on sockeye opening?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2005, 10:27:28 AM »

There is a meeting today. Rodney usually post the notices in the afternoon so stay tuned.

<*((((((><                        <*(((((((><                       <*(((((((><Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will phone in sick to work and fish all day

Nostro

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2005, 10:35:16 AM »

It has to happen this week or it's over. >:( >:(
It's getting very late into the summer.
We have the pink season to look forward to. ::) ::)
And, unfortunately, history will repeat itself in 2008 and 2009.
Never look a fish in the eye.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2005, 12:18:15 PM »

When on the phone with the Sockeye Press conference yestersday my understanding out of 11 million espected only 100,000 have arrived. The tone I got yesterday was no openings were going to happen except FN fisheries legal and other wise. As I predicted over two weeks ago there will be no opening this year and maybe ever again as the FN situation is now driving the FOC and the Government agenda. Maybe some FOC officials will read this and to prove me wrong will grant a opening. I doubt that as they pay no attention to a little guy like me as they donot even care about answering any of my e-mails, cowards. ;D

dennisK

• Old Timer
  • sheep rise up.
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2005, 12:31:22 PM »

would it make any difference if sports fisherman broke the law en mass and fished; as a civil action?

redtide

• Old Timer
  • catch anything?
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2005, 01:00:01 PM »

When on the phone with the Sockeye Press conference yestersday my understanding out of 11 million espected only 100,000 have arrived. The tone I got yesterday was no openings were going to happen except FN fisheries legal and other wise. As I predicted over two weeks ago there will be no opening this year and maybe ever again as the FN situation is now driving the FOC and the Government agenda. Maybe some FOC officials will read this and to prove me wrong will grant a opening. I doubt that as they pay no attention to a little guy like me as they donot even care about answering any of my e-mails, cowards. ;D

thats BS. only 100,000 sockeye? i guess DFO think we ( Sportfisherman ) are fools. the last few nights i have seen large schools make their way up river in the evening times. the majority have already gone thru. if there is an opening it will also involve the commercial fleet which will exume most of the sockeye during the openings leaving us once again with slim pickings. i can live without sockeye as most of us on this forum but constant mismanagement leaves all of us with a bad taste in our mouth,

Fishin Freak

• Old Timer
  • Get The Feeling, Toyota!
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2005, 01:19:45 PM »

i can live without sockeye as most of us on this forum but constant mismanagement leaves all of us with a bad taste in our mouth,

And not to mention puts fishing shops that you and I go to under because there not getting much business. I talked to a guy at a shop today and said there going through really hard times with there being no opening. Hopefully they will open pinks to try to mildly compensate. It's not a matter of there not being enough fish, because there are more than enough out there right now but the DFO won't acknowledge it. No wonder we don't get an opening when the first sentence of our national anthem proclaims the land as 'native.'  ::)

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2005, 01:43:00 PM »

What we need is video clips of FN illegal fishing including cellphone call records to DFO or CO or RCMP and maybe even a recording of their response.
Armed with hard evidence setup a demonstration, with newspaper announcements about the event.
The event has to be setup to attract large crowd, and inform media to cover the event.  With public knowing what the real thing is happening.
Then may be we will have a slim chance to get DFO to step up to the plate and finally doing things right.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2005, 01:47:15 PM »

would it make any difference if sports fisherman broke the law en mass and fished; as a civil action?

Remember the illegal fish in at the Pegleg last year ? DFO arrested and charged one guy for fishing out of season. They quietly dropped the charges later.

allwaysfishin

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2005, 03:39:41 PM »

bottom bouncing closures generrally come by the last weekend of august anyways because this is the timing for sensetive coho stocks. Do not expect any openings for pinks above mission bridge.

Old Black Dog

• I Volunteer!
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2005, 06:41:44 PM »

Hang on, they may still be coming.
There may be a commercial fishery in the ocean in the next few days.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2005, 07:15:01 PM »

What we need is video clips of FN illegal fishing including cellphone call records to DFO or CO or RCMP and maybe even a recording of their response.
Armed with hard evidence setup a demonstration, with newspaper announcements about the event.
The event has to be setup to attract large crowd, and inform media to cover the event.  With public knowing what the real thing is happening.
Then may be we will have a slim chance to get DFO to step up to the plate and finally doing things right.
we have proved many video tapes of illegal netting. Last year I provided one to Global which they used in conjuction with the story on Bill's taking of a fish

I also provide 16 yes 16 tapes, one to all members of the Williams Inquiry when they were in Chilliwack. it was shown at the inquiry as well. More video evidence has been filmed this year and FOC will have some along with still pix. I just found out this afternoon there is a number of things apparently going on behind the scenes more than I thought in some posts I did this morning. ;D Stay tunned. ;D ;D

pepsitrev

• Old Timer
  • my family and fishin are #1 in my life
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2005, 07:32:28 PM »

;)now dont get me wrong here im a peaceful guy but im all for a peaceful protest on the river with rods in hand to show that we the sportsfisherman of the fraser valley will not be bullied by a band of first nations called the cheam band. this is a free country and all people no matter what race or color have the same rights. one law for all  and all to be treated equal. what are we teaching our children these days . we try to teach them respect and to treat everyone as equals but the DFO and the first nations are just pulling the wool over everyones eyes. i eat my fish as does my family. i do not sell them and buy beer or what ever else the fns do.sorry if i seem angry but i had to blow some steam off. thats my 3 cents worth and have a pepsi day  ;D ;D

BwiBwi

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2005, 09:47:15 PM »

Hi Pepsitrev, you just reminded me a passage I read in a book back in school days, in Animal Farms.

"All people are equal except some are more equal."

I guess this is how the government is treating the rest of the public compared to FN.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2005, 10:59:17 PM »

I donot know if has been posted anywhere else as just got home. Tele conference tonight, no opening for sockeye announced.