Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: crab poaching Indian arm  (Read 9815 times)

ahans

• I'm a llama!
Re: crab poaching Indian arm
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2005, 04:27:35 PM »

Speaking of Aquaboy....where is he? We miss ya bud!

Harps

« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2005, 07:05:57 PM »

I talked with my RCMP buddy and he knows NOTHING regarding the fisheries act.  he told me that if he was called to an infraction he could only record what he saw and submitted it to crown later.  He is based on vancouver island, uh I think people do some fishing over there too dont they?!?

Further to this point...I was pulling bugs down in White Rock about a month ago for steelheadin'.  As we were donning our gear at the roadside, a police cruiser rolled up.  The officer in the passenger seat asked us what we were doing.  We told him we were heading out to gather some ghost shrimp.  He replied, "Oh...really?  What for?"  I told him we used it for bait and he came back with, "I didn't know you could do that down here.  What do they look like?"

Unbelieveable!

Gooey

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2005, 06:55:54 AM »

Do you really think the RCMP should be concerned with bugs, crabs, or even salmon...common, with problems with drugs, property crime, assaults, etc the fisheries act is so far down their list.  So far down in fact, they arent even familiar with the acts and its laws.  Frankly I can't blame them.

We need more CO's, who need to be better prepared to deal with poachers.  The vedder is probably the most heavily fished river in southern BC.  I have been stopped and checked by a CO 2 times since I started fishing the vedder in 1990!  That is F*****G REDICULOUS!

I remember one time I was stopped, the guy looked at my liscence and almost wrote me a ticket because I had put the wrong region with the vedder when i tagged a spring the week earlier.  I understand he retired and I havent seen another guy since then.  frankly he was a bit too much of a hard my friend but I would preffer someone like that over a candy my friend who doesnt go out there and make life miserable for the poachers etc.

Harps

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2005, 11:13:04 AM »

More CO's for sure, which translates into more funding.

sassyboy

• Mining for Chrome
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2005, 12:33:31 PM »

May be , just may be some extra funding will come for more conservation officers when the williams report is completed, lets hope so.
But knowing the Feds they will probably invest in some ice bergs to cool the Fraser down  ;D

rerigger

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2005, 04:02:56 AM »

they will add ten more staff in ottawant to moniter the problem

2:40

• Old Timer
  • Floss your teeth, not your fish!!!
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2005, 10:14:16 PM »

Harps is right. These guys spend a lot of time in the office. I know this first hand.

The problem isnt the officers themselves. It is the funding and the big cheeses to blame. The officers would love to be out there more and see their tickets charged.

They (at least the guys I know) also do a considerable amount of OT for free.

RCMP are not trained to deal with fish stuff. I could not see the harm in them taking a crash course on the common infractions and rules so they can be of some use if they are near the river or get called to an incident. But then, they are a busy bunch who often cannot attend fights and the such.

Gooey, I can guess the officer who almost wrote the ticket!  ;D ;D
I have a right to fish and a responsibility to treat this right as a privilege.

Ethics is your actions and behaviour when no one is watching.

A problem well stated is a problem half solved.

Since when was snagging just a question of ethics and personal choice?