Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How Many Rods?  (Read 9796 times)

canso

• Old Timer
Re: How Many Rods?
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 05:35:07 PM »

If you are by yourself in a boat I thought you could use two lines

Only in lakes

In the ocean you can run unlimited rods

River and streams 1 rod

fic

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2016, 05:44:12 PM »

That's a trolling rig, Fic, not a bar rig. It would be a bi*ch to cast, with the wires tangling up. KarateKicks alternative is workable - I've used it with quite a bit of success in the past, but not for salmon.
I probably would need to tweak it some how to make it workable. Need some sort of wire in the shape of a wish bone with lures on the ends of the opposite branches and the mainline attached to the middle branch.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2016, 08:44:14 AM »

If you are by yourself in a boat I thought you could use two lines

Went out yesterday afternoon to the Alex Fraser area and saw a few boats with 2 rods/angler in the water. I think the DFO's website can make this clearer as there seems to be confusion between regs for fresh water lakes and rivers.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2016, 09:13:51 AM »

In lakes you can troll 2 rods.
In the ocean as many as you want but it'll be quite the cluster bomb when you catch one fish let alone multiples.

scouterjames

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2016, 05:10:39 PM »

Went out yesterday afternoon to the Alex Fraser area and saw a few boats with 2 rods/angler in the water. I think the DFO's website can make this clearer as there seems to be confusion between regs for fresh water lakes and rivers.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/fraser-eng.html
"It is prohibited to use more than one line when sport fishing in the tidal waters of the Fraser River. While only one line per angler may be used, gear designed to catch a maximum of two fish at one time (bar rig) is permitted in this area, provided that two single barbless hooks are being used."

How much clearer can it get??? One line pretty much says it all.

I would hope whomever witnesses this kind of behavior calls it in - and if you're not SURE about the regs, but THINK it's wrong, call it in (they'll let you know if it's OK!).
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 10:42:30 PM by scouterjames »
:-\ Tell me, and I might forget;
  :) Show me, and I might remember;
    ;D INVOLVE ME, and I'll learn.

RainbowMan

• We need longer weekends...when fishing is good
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2016, 08:38:33 PM »

is permitted in this area, provided that two single barbless hooks are being used."

How much clearer can it get??? ONE LINE pretty much says it all.

I would hope whomever witnesses this kind of behavior calls it in - and if you're not SURE about the regs, but THINK it's wrong, call it in (they'll let you know if it's OK!).

Confusion comes from the fact that you're allowed to fish with two rods when you are in a boat on a fresh water lake and some people (including people on this forum) are confused. Fresh water regs differentiate between single anglers on a boat, shore anglers and boat anglers >1.
..and you know, I don't think that makes you a better forum member when you yell in your postings!

GordJ

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2016, 06:15:18 AM »

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/tidal-maree/fraser-eng.html
"It is prohibited to use more than one line when sport fishing in the tidal waters of the Fraser River. While only one line per angler may be used, gear designed to catch a maximum of two fish at one time (bar rig) is permitted in this area, provided that two single barbless hooks are being used."

How much clearer can it get??? One line pretty much says it all.

You make out like "one line" means something but when an angler has one line that goes to his swivel, one line to his spreader, one line that goes to his bar weight and one line that goes to each of his hooks.
And that doesn't delve into the "designed to catch .... two fish" (with one line?) part of the Reg.

Which is the "one line" referred to in your opinion? I don't think "one line" would pass the "I have a friend that's a law student" test.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2016, 08:02:19 AM »

I don't think that makes you a better forum member when you yell in your postings!

Yelling or shouting is in all caps - not bolded or underlined.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Birkenhead

« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2016, 07:16:02 PM »

This excerpt is from the BC Tidal Waters Sport Fishing Guide.

There is no limit to the number of fishing rods a licensed angler may use in tidal waters, except in the tidal portion of any stream or river
where the limit is one. Refer to the map and description of Fraser River tidal boundaries inside the front cover of this Guide.

•  It is illegal to angle with a fishing line to which more than one hook, artificial lure or artificial fly is attached except:
– in the tidal portion of the Fraser River where you can use two hooks, artificial lures or artificial flies, attached to a bar rig.
– in most tidal water areas you may use any number of hooks attached  to a fishing line if the hooks are used in combination to hold a single piece of bait and not arranged in such a fashion to catch more than one fish. This does not apply in those areas restricted to the use of only one single barbless hook.

As for Lakes.
A solo angler in a boat can have 2 rods. If there are 2 or more anglers in the boat, each angler can only fish with one rod each.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2016, 07:18:08 PM by Birkenhead »