Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: steelhead strains?  (Read 9839 times)

bigblue

• Old Timer
Re: steelhead strains?
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2011, 10:03:28 AM »

Great comment Sandman.

I also recall reading that "salt years" of steelhead, ie number of years spent feeding in the rich waters of ocean, primarily determines how big it will get by its first spawning run. For steelhead of same 4 yrs of age, a 1+3 yrs fish will be larger than say a 2+2 yrs fish which in turn will be larger than a 3+1 yr fish. Genes are the key determinates of this natural programming. Of course, as fish survives and becomes repeat spawners, they will grow further to become throphy sized fish we all dream about.     

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2011, 10:05:59 AM »

HOOK - needs $6000 to fish the Dean !!  ;D

Does this apply to residents of BC?
I did hear that there is a lottery for fishing the Dean, but it did not apply to residents of Canada.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2011, 10:25:47 AM »

not sure about a lottery but its about that for 1 week for a trip there which includes. Airfare, helicopter flight in/out, lodge stay and guided fishing each day  ;D and i think thats a per person cost

HOOK - will probably never fish the Dean but will start hitting Skeena and Tribs sooner than later  ;D
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: March 01, 2011, 10:55:56 AM »

not sure about a lottery but its about that for 1 week for a trip there which includes. Airfare, helicopter flight in/out, lodge stay and guided fishing each day  ;D and i think thats a per person cost

Wow.... helicopter? That I know, I can't afford for sure.
Didn't know Dean was that remote.
I have never been up to the upper coastal area.
Well, one of these days I will make it up to Skeena River, that is along HWY 16 so I could drive up there. :)

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2011, 11:13:13 AM »

Im sure you get flown there and also jet boat some of the river as well to the lodges. There may however be upper and lower lodges because there is a large canyon rapid section that seperates it much like we have Hell's Gate area on the Fraser. They have some crazy fish on the Dean though  :o

here is a blip from a local guiding outfit for a trip to the Dean river (chinook timing) I cant/wont mention the business because im not affiliated in any way and im not sure if they are a site sponsor. This is just to show that its not super cheap but if your a fishing nutjob that can afford it or save for it then by all means a trip of a lifetime.  ;D

Pricing is $4600.00 US+ gst and includes 7 nights and 6 full days of
guided speyfishing on the Dean, fishing and casting instruction, all meals, lodging, flies,
beer, wine and a charter flight from Bella Coola.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2011, 11:23:45 AM by HOOK »
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2011, 11:43:00 AM »

Pricing is $4600.00 US+ gst

I guess the good thing is that the loonie is worth more than the greenback nowadays and the bad news is that the HST has replaced the GST.
This is a bucket list kind of a trip for me. ;D

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2011, 03:04:54 PM »

If you like big fish, fresh from the ocean, give the Kitimat River a try.  These fish are only a couple km to about 30 km out of the ocean and have an impressive average size.  Although I have not gotten a 20 pounder here, I have come close in each of my three seasons so far I have fished and lived here.  I find that most of the fish are averaging 11-12 pounds and there are numerous fish pushing and breaking the 20 pound mark every year.  In the past three years I have only had maybe couple fish go less than 10 pounds.  I will be fishing hard in about 3 weeks time. 

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2011, 05:11:55 PM »

Im sure you get flown there and also jet boat some of the river as well to the lodges. There may however be upper and lower lodges because there is a large canyon rapid section that seperates it much like we have Hell's Gate area on the Fraser. They have some crazy fish on the Dean though  :o

There are lodges on the upper and lower river. All of which are accessible by road once you've flown out to the airstrip.
Actions speak louder than words.

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2011, 05:19:40 PM »

this thread took off...   :o  a quick question, a bit off topic  ::) will the wild fish be more abundant in the vedder as the season goes on?
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2011, 04:41:11 PM »

If you like big fish, fresh from the ocean, give the Kitimat River a try.  These fish are only a couple km to about 30 km out of the ocean and have an impressive average size.  Although I have not gotten a 20 pounder here, I have come close in each of my three seasons so far I have fished and lived here.  I find that most of the fish are averaging 11-12 pounds and there are numerous fish pushing and breaking the 20 pound mark every year.  In the past three years I have only had maybe couple fish go less than 10 pounds.  I will be fishing hard in about 3 weeks time. 

glx, are the Kitimat River spots you fish close to the town of Kitimat?
If I stay at a motel in Kitimat, can I make day trips to good fishing spots by driving?
Sorry joska for going off thread, but had to ask.  :D

joska

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2011, 05:08:21 PM »

no problem thats a good question bigblue. i plan on fishing the northern parts of this beautiful province one day aswell.
If you don't like the fish you're catching... change the bait!!

steelie-slayer

• catch and release
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2011, 05:30:23 PM »

this thread took off...   :o  a quick question, a bit off topic  ::) will the wild fish be more abundant in the vedder as the season goes on?
yes there will be more wild fish. the hathcerys will start to taper off now or soon or atleast the nice fresh ones
gone to the dark side, poor levelwind probly never going to see the water again.

sugartooth

« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2011, 09:14:28 PM »

glx, are the Kitimat River spots you fish close to the town of Kitimat?
If I stay at a motel in Kitimat, can I make day trips to good fishing spots by driving?
Sorry joska for going off thread, but had to ask.  :D

There are many outstanding places to fish on the Kitimat river all within a short drive. As a kid we would often walk or ride our bikes to the river.

glx

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2011, 11:46:58 PM »

Most spots on the Kitimat will be within 20km of town with some right in town.  A pontoon boat is handy if you have one.  A few spots from Highway 37 as well.  April through till mid May or so is best. 

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2011, 06:56:58 AM »

Thanks for the insight glx and sugartooth.
I am trying to combine a business trip to Kitimat & Prince Rupert with some fishing on the side. ;D