Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Inner harbour and sea-run cutthroat  (Read 9759 times)

Bavarian Raven

Inner harbour and sea-run cutthroat
« on: December 12, 2009, 11:38:04 AM »

i saw an article in the newspaper that showed a person fishing from shore in old orchard park (across the water north of rocky point park, port moody). my question is, can you actually catch sea-run cutthroat there? and if so, is it worth my time fishing for them. also if it is worth fishing for them there, what should i use to catch them? thanks for any advice in advance 8)

Matt

• Old Timer
Re: Inner harbour and sea-run cutthroat
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2009, 03:18:42 PM »

Cutties are highly migratory, so a beach that may have them today might be barren tomorrow. They will take a small spoon, spinner or fly.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2009, 03:25:44 PM by Rodney »

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2009, 05:29:35 PM »

Cutties are highly migratory, so a beach that may have them today might be barren tomorrow. They will take a small spoon, spinner or fly.

thanks for the tip. i'll try my luck around there as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer ::)

Steely

• Old Timer
  • Lovin' the Chrome
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2009, 06:02:22 PM »

thanks for the tip. i'll try my luck around there as soon as the weather gets a bit warmer ::)
You might miss out with that attitude ;) ;D I have had some of my best days around this time of year just because we're cold doesn't mean the fish are :D
Get Off Your Butt And Start Fishin'

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2009, 07:56:06 PM »

You might miss out with that attitude   I have had some of my best days around this time of year just because we're cold doesn't mean the fish are

true but i have final exams at univeristy all this week

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2009, 06:31:42 PM »

Yes you can catch them there. Can be quite good at times. I have known about it for ten years, but was sworn to secrecy by a certain school dist 43 teacher. I wouldn't be surprised if it was him you saw fishing there. All the beaches along both sides of the inlet hold them and the Noons Creek Hatchery has found them in their pens up to 24 inches in length.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Rp3Flyfisher

• Rp3 FlyFishing
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2009, 07:26:46 PM »

You might miss out with that attitude ;) ;D I have had some of my best days around this time of year just because we're cold doesn't mean the fish are :D

I TOTALLY AGREE!!!

I have my best Sea Run Cutthroat fishing between now and the end of February.

Rick
Tight Lines & Fun Times

Rick Passek
http://www.theflyfishfanatic.com

Author of:
The Freshman FlyFisher "A Beginners Guide for a new Generation"
&
The Freshman FlyFishers Insect Guide

Pro Staff:
Leader Sales (RIO, Sage, Redington, Dr Slick, Renzetti, Islander, Lamson, C&F Design, Moby Nets, Bradly Smokers)
Howard Hackle

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/cos/images/rapp_logo.gif

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2009, 08:13:18 PM »

Interesting. Where I fish, the month of June on the beach pulls in the biggest numbers. Time to get chilly and try it mid-winter. Brrr......
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 09:25:15 PM by clarki »

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 09:02:21 PM »

i'll try around christmas sometime. last run of exams for the year are almost over ;D
wish me luck. if i catch anything, pics will hopefully come 8)
(are the searun cutthroat (assuming i catch anything ::)) worth keeping from that area?)

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2009, 09:36:46 PM »

Generally no, they aren't worth keeping.  They tend to be small and taste like fish. Particularly the hatchery ones, which also taste like fish, with a hint of pellet.

Best to release them all and only kill the larger ones that are over 30". They are the best eating.

troutbreath

• Old Timer
  • I does Christy
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2009, 09:55:57 PM »

A Searun Seal would put up a decent fight. :)
another SLICE of dirty fish perhaps?

apollo

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2009, 05:59:00 PM »

Would it be safe to assume that if there are sea-run cutthroat in port moody then they would also be found on the northshore beaches (i.e. cates park, etc)? Any info would be much appreciated.

Matt

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2009, 04:27:09 AM »

I don't think there's a gravel beach on the west coast that doesn't see some cutthroat sometimes... its just finding one that the fish hang out a while at, and for that, you might have to do some exploring, or kidnap and torture someone in the know ;D

Bavarian Raven

« Reply #13 on: December 16, 2009, 05:45:03 AM »

you might have to do some exploring, or kidnap and torture someone in the know ;D

lol u seem to be in the know ;) ;D

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2009, 09:51:39 AM »

Would it be safe to assume that if there are sea-run cutthroat in port moody then they would also be found on the northshore beaches (i.e. cates park, etc)? Any info would be much appreciated.

Earlier posts already answered this question. Here are some additional notes.

When targeting trout and char (especially for cutthroat trout) in the Lower Mainland streams, estuaries, saltwaters, you are set up for failure if the first question is whether a particular location produces. Just about all locations that are near creeks produce cutthroat trout. The key question is, when? This question cannot be answered by others, but yourself, for a couple of reasons. One is that experienced cutthroat trout anglers have invested the time to find the answer. Two is, the time expended on chasing them is what makes the cutthroat trout fishery appealing.

Unlike salmon, anadromous cutthroat trout do not have a regular migratory pattern. Showing up to a particular spot at a particular time does not result in catches most of the time. These opportunistic feeders go where their prey are. Follow the feed, look for signs of feed, if you want to find the fish. Get to know a few spots intimately by fishing it regularly. Develop a habit of keeping a journal to record fishing results, environmental factors at the time. Eventually there just might be a pattern.