Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: spin rod vedder  (Read 9785 times)

minsyoo

spin rod vedder
« on: September 17, 2009, 07:16:11 PM »

Hi, guys,

I have never been to Vedder and planning on giving it a shot this weekend. I don't fly fish or anything, I just have two spin rods. People tell me I can do this up in Vedder, so I'm gonna try spoons, may be floats with roe or yarn. So I was wondering if there are any places that are better than others for my situation, or am I gonna be okay pretty much driving along the river and going "HERE!"  :D

Also everyone tells me roe is effective, what kind of roe? ???

mr.p

Re: spin rod vedder
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 07:33:06 PM »

Your spin rods will work just fine for tossing spoons.  But they are not ideal for float fishing.
You can still float fish with a spinning rod but it is very difficult to get a nice natural drift.
I'd suggest you take a look at some maps and try to pre-plan a little.  Going in blind, while exciting and rewarding, can be very frustrating especially on a weekend.  The vedder is a fairly long river with access along its entirety.  The further you have to walk, the more likely you are to find some solitude. 
As for roe, procure in red, pink, orange is deadly.  I've been having success with natural too.  I bring two types and alternate casts until I find a clear favorite.
Have fun and tight lines!
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 07:38:35 PM »

try parking at Vedder crossing and then walk the dyke down until you see some water that you like. If you only have a spinning rod I would focus on tossing spoons or spinners in slower water.

minsyoo

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2009, 09:53:45 PM »

thanks guys! all this information is helping very much as i'm nearly brand new to fishing.  :)

If you don't mind a couple more questions, if my rod isn't a great choice for floats, then what is?

and I'll try exactly what you've told me, now, should I be prepared to get wet/dirty at all?

mr.p

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2009, 11:13:49 PM »

Either a levelwind/baitcasting or centerpin setup is best for float fishing.
Rod should be 8-20#.  Any reel that holds 150yards of 12# is fine.
There is no single rod/reel that is good for all salmon and steelhead.
You want the lightest weight/rated rod and reel possible for the type of salmon your are fishing. 

minsyoo

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2009, 11:19:13 PM »

i have a 8 ft 12 - 15(? i think 15) tested. with 12lb line on it. sounds like it's a good one.

i also have a 6' 6" with 8lb test on it i wonder if this one will do?

By the way, if I wanted to say, use a 15# on my 8ft, how would i go about changing the line? ??? ???

thank you lots again, hopefully one day i can be the generous one answering questions to people like me.. :P

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2009, 11:30:52 PM »

minsyoo, regarding fishing the Vedder River, you can certainly use your spinning rod for casting spoons and spinners. While float fishing with roe is effective, it is not necessarily more effectively than spincasting. That being said, I love float fishing on the Vedder River. Watching the float dives just after dawn is an addiction that is hard to shake off.

The 8ft rod that is rated 12-15lb test is fine, especially if you connect with a few chinook or chum salmon. The 6'6" rod should be good for coho salmon, but it would be a big challenge if you connect with a chinook or chum salmon on that rod.

Personally, I just bring a rod for float fishing and do not focus too much on spincasting when fishing the Vedder River, but at times I do bring a spinning rod with me too.

My spinning rod for the Vedder is a 6'6" rod that is rated between 8 and 12lb test. I use 8lb test line to accompany that rod, because I primarily target coho salmon.

12lb test on your 8ft spinning rod is more than enough to handle most fish. 15lb test line would result in more difficulty in casting your lures and is not as enjoyable to fish with in my opinion.

Regarding float fishing with roe or other bait and presentations, as Mr P has pointed out, a rod that is 10'6" or longer is more appropriate. A long rod is needed to keep the line between your rod tip and the float away from the water surface so you can get a better hookset when a fish bites. You can use a spinning rod for float fishing, but feeding line to the float as it drifts downstream becomes a frustrating challenge with a spinning reel. A baitcasting or centerpin rod outfit is more appropriate for this type of fishing.

For more information on float fishing on the Vedder River, take a look at this article: http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2003/1003_01.html

Here's another one that you may find helpful: http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/2004/1104_01.html

Good luck.

minsyoo

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2009, 11:41:08 PM »

i think it's fair to say this is the best bc fishing forum on the internet. haha!  ;D THANK YOU  VERY MUCH

minsyoo

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2009, 10:09:42 PM »

so i got it mapped out, i'm gonna try the end of lickman rd.  some other places in consideration are under hwy 1, end of wilson rd, or under keith wilson bridge. if things dont go well, i may even check out pegleg. 

at ANY of these places, should one be prepared to get wet/dirty? or will i be okay with regular pants and some sneakers?

mr.p

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2009, 10:42:03 PM »

so i got it mapped out, i'm gonna try the end of lickman rd.  some other places in consideration are under hwy 1, end of wilson rd, or under keith wilson bridge. if things dont go well, i may even check out pegleg. 

at ANY of these places, should one be prepared to get wet/dirty? or will i be okay with regular pants and some sneakers?

Those are some good spots to start.  But popular and busy. 
You should always be prepared to get wet/dirty when fishing.  How are you gonna land a wild coho should you happen to hook one?  You have to get in the water to safely release it.

mikeH

« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2009, 10:49:34 PM »

warm weather i usually just wear shorts and sandals or water shoes.Peg is pretty good was there last week a lot of people there but tons of pinks being caught!

Brian

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2009, 12:46:16 AM »

Wear shorts and sandals.  In the summer/fall, I routinely wade in past my knees when fishing, and I'm not the type of person who likes cold water.

Once you've been in the water for 5 minutes and you're fishing, you'll forget how cold it is.

In the late fall/winter, use waders.

Brian

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2009, 12:54:35 AM »

Once you fish the Chilliwack/Vedder and watch the guys with centerpins and floats, you will wonder how much more fun it is to fight a fish on a single action reel.

In the meantime, toss your spinners and spoons and have fun!

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2009, 01:05:27 AM »

Once you've been in the water for 5 minutes and you're fishing, you'll forget how cold it is.

Because the feet would be so numb that you wouldn't feel anything. ;D

Waders are definitely required once temperature drops in a couple of weeks from now. Without waders, you still have access to many spots but you'd be limited to where you can fish and how you can fish.

so i got it mapped out, i'm gonna try the end of lickman rd.  some other places in consideration are under hwy 1, end of wilson rd, or under keith wilson bridge.

The spots that you have listed are all popular spots that almost always get crowded due to easy access. They tend to be overfished and any fish in these waters become hook shy rather quickly. That being said, these are good starting points where you can park your car and watch. My recommendation would be to walk either upstream or downstream from these points and find spots that are not heavily used. Since you are not wearing waders, take a look at the shaded waters by the rip raps along the Rotary Trail. These spots are often neglected and are in fact excellent holding spots for salmon.

minsyoo

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2009, 05:14:39 PM »

well i still dont have a wader, so, my feet shall go numb. haha! if some salmon can come up and wake my feet up, that'd be great.  ;) i'll just bring a change of clothes.

i did hear that those are all popular spots but i wonder how it'll be because i'm going to be there before sunrise. but then again, it IS a sunday... hmm.

either way, this is super exciting. if my first salmon can happen on the same day as second, third, may be 4th, that's the dream. haha!