Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bleeding a freshly caugh Salmon  (Read 9750 times)

silverslab

Re: Bleeding a freshly caugh Salmon
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2009, 01:27:08 PM »

I carry a small packet knife, once on land I use it to kill the fish (one stick right in the top of the head straight down) and then a simply cut in behind the gills and tie it and throw it in the water.  the heart is still pumping and the flowing water helps top remove all the blood

klamathking

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 09:03:28 PM »

even in the fall when the weather cools,  I find icing down pinks immediately after catching them mandatory, it keeps the meat from going soft and gives you a better chance of tablefare if your not smoking or canning them

nosey

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2009, 07:34:14 AM »

When you catch a spring bonk it, bleed it, tag it out and take it home to clean it and refrigerate it, give up your spot to some one that hasn't caught one yet, you've had your day why be greedy. I see lots of people laying their fish in warm water in the sun till the gills have turned white and the meat has started to spoil, I just can't believe the ignorance of someone that's spent that much money on gear and gas to then let the final product spoil. I you're going to HAVE to stay at the river because you're with a group or it's in a sockeye opening and you want to get your limit ffs pack ice it isn't that big a deal, you don't want to be one of those people that winds up dumping your fish do you?

nosey

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2009, 07:36:30 AM »

btw if you don't have a knife with you just stick your fingers in the gills and rip a couple of em out it ain't tidy but works just fine.

Davis

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2009, 09:25:41 PM »

I have never bled a fish and never will,the meat is just fine kept on ice untill you get home.As far as river caught Pinks are concerned forget it thier flesh turns to mush as soon as they hit the fresh water.Better left alone to reproduce.

hoboryan

« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2009, 08:55:27 PM »

some people rip the gills on both sides and hold the fish vertically with the head pointed down to bleed it.

Steelhawk

• Old Timer
  • Fish In Peace !
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2009, 12:49:14 AM »

If you cook the fish, then bleed or don't bleed may not make much difference as long as it is kept cool or chilled. But if you intend to eat sushi or sashimi (raw fish), then bleeding is really a must. It takes away the blood stain smell and the fish meat will not be bloody taste too.

Keener

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2009, 08:11:35 AM »

I've never noticed the difference in taste before I found out about bleeding fish. I do it now more as a preventative measure. Curious to know if not cleaning it right away leads to the same complaints... I use ice packs to cool my fish in the cooler as ice cost money

mattyo

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2009, 09:14:54 AM »

I have never bled a fish and never will,the meat is just fine kept on ice untill you get home.As far as river caught Pinks are concerned forget it thier flesh turns to mush as soon as they hit the fresh water.Better left alone to reproduce.
I kill chrome pinks from the river. In my experience no mush at all, smoked or BBq'd. Have you tried eating a chrome pink out of a river? I think sometimes the hype about sockies flesh taints opinions of our other four species of salmon! The health benefits of all salmon are huge.with that said ice right away after bleeding is my way to go ;D

Eagleye

• Old Timer
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2009, 02:06:52 PM »

The best way to bleed a fish is to cut the gills while the fish's head is underwater.  The blood will flow much better this way because it won't congeal.  Also holding it upside down while the gills are submerged help drain the blood.

Birdsnest

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2009, 09:59:06 PM »

Is there a real difference if you bleed the fish?  Or is it just the benefit of gutting it right away? 

Look at all the people who toss unbonked fish in coolers, or leave them on stringers to die..  They say the panic and stress chemicals the fish produce while in distress can taint the meat.

Is the bleeding thing more about gutting it asap? 

I mean, fish in the markets have gills,  isn't that one of the ways you check for freshness? Bright, red gills?

I don't think I've ever consciously bled a fish... now I'm wondering if I've been missing out on something.

Catch fish... bonk fish.. slit belly, pull out guts/gills.. throw guts at buddy, run finger along spine, rinse......... where did I miss the bleeding part?

tooler91

« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2009, 07:18:46 PM »

I would have to move the beer out of my cooler in order to put that fish on ice.
Don't know if I could sacrifice the beer for the fish....unless I drank it faster.

bigsnag

• Old Timer
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2009, 10:37:04 AM »

As a rule I always bonk and bleed my fish in the salt or fresh water. When I used to use roe bleeding helps to drain the blood out of the roe skeins preventing the eggs from turning dark. As well all the guides that I've chartered with always bleed fish right away what ever the time of year.
It ain't the roe bro'