Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Importing a Vehicle into Canada  (Read 9795 times)

testo84

• officially a hardware addict
Re: Importing a Vehicle into Canada
« Reply #15 on: October 29, 2007, 12:12:15 PM »

I am sure glad to see you guys supporting our Canadian economy in general and the automotive community in particular....  ::)... I hope that those of you that buy vehicles in the USA have your pay checks cut by the raise in the canadian dollar the way we, in the auto industry, have!

I support those who support us....what do you US buyers do for a living.... ???

Laissez-faire BRO
hardware == fish

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2007, 01:31:24 PM »

Instead of ragging on the canadian consumers, why don't you put the blame on the manufacturers?  They are the ones that are gouging canadians.  Can you explain to me why an Acura MDX (made in Canada) is more than 15 grand higher in cost here than in the states?  Is it because the cost of doing business up that much more expensive? ::)  You don't have to be an accountant (which I am BTW) to crunch the numbers and realize that there is some major price fixing going on and its been going on for quite awhile now.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2007, 04:06:13 PM »

I agree with Doug

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2007, 04:28:45 PM »

I am sure glad to see you guys supporting our Canadian economy in general and the automotive community in particular....  ::)... I hope that those of you that buy vehicles in the USA have your pay checks cut by the raise in the canadian dollar the way we, in the auto industry, have!

I support those who support us....what do you US buyers do for a living.... ???

Instead of ragging on the canadian consumers, why don't you put the blame on the manufacturers?  They are the ones that are gouging canadians.  Can you explain to me why an Acura MDX (made in Canada) is more than 15 grand higher in cost here than in the states?  Is it because the cost of doing business up that much more expensive? ::)  You don't have to be an accountant (which I am BTW) to crunch the numbers and realize that there is some major price fixing going on and its been going on for quite awhile now.

Hey Leaseman...ever heard of the Free Trade agreement?  Smart consumers shop where they get the best price.  Of course it would be great if that best price was in Canada instead of south of the border but you'd have to be an idiot or have more dollars than sense (cents) not to want to save yourself 10 grand on a purchase just to be patriotic.  Like Doug said it's price fixing that's to blame.

Besides the Toyota Tacoma I wanted isn't even available up here!  Toyota doesn't make an automatic double cab 4X4 with the TRD Off Road pkg. They all come with a long box which means there's too much distance between the axels to make it a good off road vehicle.  You'd have so much trouble turning around in a tight spot that it wouldn't be funny.  In Canada, the truck I wanted only comes in a stardard transmission. 

Down in the States the double cabs all come with a short box.  They only put long boxes on the extended cabs.  I also got other options on the truck that aren't available in Canada like the downhill control system which allows me to crawl down hills without using my brakes.

I'll tell you something... cars sales up here are going to be far less until there's some parody in pricing!  The customs officer told me that 75-100 cars a day are being imported at the Pacific Crossing.   That's alot of lost revenue and HUGE savings for the consumer who buys south of the border.  Hopefully, the Canadian manufactures will clue in.

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2007, 04:43:06 PM »

anyone know where i can find a importers name?

When I was down at the border on Thursday bringing  my truck across, I was talking to this guy who said there's an importer just up the street from the  border crossing who supposedly charges a $250  fee to import a vehicle.  Don't know exactly what it all covers though.  I should have looked for the name.....guess I was too excited driving the new rig to  pay attention! :D

KLX

« Reply #20 on: October 29, 2007, 08:49:39 PM »

i always give the canadian dealer a chance to price match, in fact, i usually say just come within 10%. they are almost always unwilling. so be it. I'll try again tomorrow with suzuki but i dont see it happening.

ya, im also the same guy who left Canada after university because firms up here wanted to pay me a pittance to do specialized work. But actually it goes beyond that. In the US you get treated a lot better, much better benefits, and there is respect for the young up and coming talent...Canadian businesses need to learn from the US. I make no apologies for it either. But i'm back now and i've invested all my money and learned skills back in Canada. And, believe me sometimes i wonder why, because little has changed up here.

leaseman

• on the water or in the bush...thats entertainment
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2007, 07:28:01 AM »

Supply and demand....quite correct....take GM vehicles for example, in California (southern half only if I remember correctly) there is more GM vehicles sold than all of Canada which means cheaper costs to build....

Where was the the canadian dollar in August...$0.85....thats only ten weeks, makes a big difference in buying power....those of you who know retail, know you can't drop your prices 20+% because the dollar has risen....how long ago did you purchase your stock....
3 months, six months???....what did the dollar cost you then....???

People don't look beyond their noses sometimes. I have yet to hear one good response from anyone on how the manufacturers can cure this problem....everyone loves to blame the builders or dealers....the car guys are bad and getting rich off us citizens....what a load of BS!!!

Asking canadian dealers to match prices is like asking Joe's tackle to match a big box stores pricing....how many of you are in retail, how is this affecting your business????...for our economy to survive and be healthy, we need a $0.80-0.85 .....

That is my little rant, go across the boarder and buy everything!!! I hope that all the people (and there is not that many that do) that do buy across the border have their pay cheques effected the way we do... ;D

dwsk

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2007, 08:05:42 AM »

Supply and demand....quite correct....take GM vehicles for example, in California (southern half only if I remember correctly) there is more GM vehicles sold than all of Canada which means cheaper costs to build....

Where was the the canadian dollar in August...$0.85....thats only ten weeks, makes a big difference in buying power....those of you who know retail, know you can't drop your prices 20+% because the dollar has risen....how long ago did you purchase your stock....
3 months, six months???....what did the dollar cost you then....???

People don't look beyond their noses sometimes. I have yet to hear one good response from anyone on how the manufacturers can cure this problem....everyone loves to blame the builders or dealers....the car guys are bad and getting rich off us citizens....what a load of BS!!!

Asking canadian dealers to match prices is like asking Joe's tackle to match a big box stores pricing....how many of you are in retail, how is this affecting your business????...for our economy to survive and be healthy, we need a $0.80-0.85 .....

That is my little rant, go across the boarder and buy everything!!! I hope that all the people (and there is not that many that do) that do buy across the border have their pay cheques effected the way we do... ;D

I feel for you. In most cases people will not cross the border for the everyday items. It is just not worth while. And I think most people do not mind paying a little bit more to support the local businesses. But consumers can not be expected to spend an extra 10k on a car if the cheaper one is only an hour away. If the cdn dollar remains close to par, then the prices will get closer to par over the next while.( 6 months, year ??). Once prices are within 5k of each other I think the cross border shopping of cars will stop. Unfortunatly the cars dealers in Canada are going to have to deal with a lot of flack until then. Just my opinion for what it is worth.

gheart008

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2007, 11:09:00 AM »

Once prices are within 5k of each other I think the cross border shopping of cars will stop. Unfortunatly the cars dealers in Canada are going to have to deal with a lot of flack until then. Just my opinion for what it is worth.

I think 5K would still generate some sales from the US, just not as much.  I think some people would still do it even if it meant a $1K saving after all the additional fees for the import process.

salmon river

« Reply #24 on: October 30, 2007, 11:38:30 AM »

Ban greets Canadians seeking U.S. car deals

Canadians consider lawsuit against U.S. car dealers

Canadian couple challenges denials of new car purchase in U.S.

Gm, Ford, Honda, Chrysler, Toyota will not sell a new vehicle to Canadains, dealers may want to put when the paperwork goes through they are told nay.  Individuals are more than willing but head offices say no. 

Stratocaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: October 30, 2007, 12:06:40 PM »

I am sure glad to see you guys supporting our Canadian economy in general and the automotive community in particular....  ... I hope that those of you that buy vehicles in the USA have your pay checks cut by the raise in the canadian dollar the way we, in the auto industry, have!

I would be if I bought a Acura MDX from the US.  The MDX is MADE IN CANADA and I would be supporting the Canadian Auto Industry.

Are all the clothes that you own made in Canada? if not why aren't you supporting the Canadian Garment Industry?

No you may not be able to drop prices, but manufacturers (who have been raking in the profits from gouging us canadians) can remedy the situation by offering big rebates.  You know about rebates don't you?  The rebates do not cost the dealerships anything.

You know if prices were closer say like 2 or 3 grand I'd gladly buy in canada. 

KLX

« Reply #26 on: October 30, 2007, 01:20:16 PM »

add mitsubishi to the list of no selling to canadians.

I understand stock prices for SOME vehicles were set when the dollar was lower but that doesnt mean they cannot go down now or that the dealer couldnt flex a little on the price.

I just talked to suzuki up here and the salesman told me to go buy it in the US, he said he would do the same. I'm saving 7k$ after all is said and done on 20k dollar car. there's no excuse for that.

leaseman

« Reply #27 on: October 30, 2007, 02:32:41 PM »

The point I am trying to get accross is that we are talking two different markets....G.M. of Canada then the US side of GM....we buy smaller amounts of product like tires, electrical components, etc., etc.,...this equal larger costs to purchase....wages in the auto sector in Canada are higher along with the benifits....all this with a fast balloning dollar makes it a HUGE difference in costs.....how many of you remember when GM first came out with the Denali and the Duramax???.....brokers were coming up here from the states to purchase at retail prices, selling to the dealer, who were selling to the public...it took about 6 months to close this down by the US/Canadian governments.....

Doug-you talked about rebates and not effecting the dealers....sorry, this is the farthest from the truth....rebates of any size would effect everyone.....why??....it puts huge pressure on the used car markets, you selling your used piece, never mind the huge, rental and lease fleets.....would take years to recover......

mastercaster

• Old Timer
« Reply #28 on: October 30, 2007, 03:03:02 PM »

Not trying to be an a$$ but if your paycheck has been cut wouldn't it make sense for you to get on the bandwagon and buy merchandise down in the States as well so you could get the biggest bang for your buck?

leaseman

« Reply #29 on: October 30, 2007, 03:41:42 PM »

M/C...we do buy some commercial vehicles from the states....BUT.... you really have to watch out...USA is classified as a foreign country, no declarations are needed to be made to the purchaser if they are from outside of the states as far as rebuilt, excessive damage, etc.,....that is why we buy the odd commercial, companies don't mind if it suits their needs...

If you take the whole picture of this in, it is really scary for our economy, just look around and see where all the vehiclesd are used, bought,sold,leased etc....a big change in pricing would affect our whole economy....