Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Sturgeon rod and reel  (Read 9764 times)

JL

Sturgeon rod and reel
« on: August 07, 2007, 09:55:21 PM »

Hey guys,

I'm in the market for one of these setups. I plan to fish from shore. I have been reading and it appears that the penn 320 is a good reel for sturgeon for the price so i may go with that. I have looked for rods at the local tackle shops, not too much selection as they are all in the 8 foot range. I figure as im on shore a 10'+ rod would be ideal. Any suggestions?

Thanks

canso

• Old Timer
Re: Sturgeon rod and reel
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2007, 10:23:56 PM »

I've used an 11' heavy action bar rig rod for 20-50lb line, with a penn 330 and 80lb braid.
the biggest was almost 6' with no problems bringing him in.

penn 330's are on sale for $119 if that helps.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2007, 10:56:25 PM »

I shore fish for sturgeon 50-60 times per year atleast. 7' Lamiglas big game rod w/ Penn 321 (320 if your a righty) and 100lb PowerPro. Should run you approximatly $300. Another rod to look at is the Shimano Technium. It comes in an 8' model and is $169.99. Both rods have lifetime warrentees.

TrophyHunter

• Old Timer
  • V.P. Club S.C. & P. & S.C. & F. Team Hop Sing
    • BB Pics
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2007, 08:33:29 AM »

I have a 12 foot UglyStick Sturgie rod for sale if you are interested !! I have used it exactly once $80

TH

shoot me an email if you want

...oooO..............
...(....).....Oooo...
....\..(.......(...)....
.....\_).......)../.....
...............(_/......
... RICK WAS ......
....... HERE..........

XG Flosses with his Spey !!

nosey

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2007, 06:59:58 PM »

The longer the rod the more leverage the fish has against you, you might want to consider that before going to a rod over ten feet.

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2007, 07:09:29 PM »

Also you dont want a two piece rod. Sturgeon should be played on a 7-8 foot one piece rod. I own 4 rods my favorite is still my Trophy, hasnt let me down yet.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

Zpg

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2007, 07:23:27 PM »

Just my 0.02 but I absolutely love the Shimano Technium. It is a one piece 8' and is the perfect balance between power and sensitivity. Another thing I really like about it is the smaller diameter handle. I have several other sturgeon/halibut rods and they just aren't comfortable. This is a rod that you will likely have for a very long time if you get hooked on Sturgeon fishing so spend your hard earned $$ accordingly. In my opinion an extra $60 or $70 now is totally worth it over the long haul.

As for reels, I agree with the suggestions already submitted. Personally I use the 330GTI's but the 320's are probably just fine 99% of the time. If you are the lucky bastard that hooks into an 11 footer you might want the extra line capacity and the price difference is very little....your choice. You might search this topic as I remember a very good discussion here a few months ago debating the 330GTI and 320GTI.

Now for line.... definitely at least 100lbs, spectra braid (pick your brand...Power Pro, tuf line etc.). Don's piss around here. It is a bit pricey but it lasts and when you get into a big one you won't have that hollow feeling in your gut that your line might not hold.

If you are going to buy new, I found that Berry's had a really good price on the reels. The Shimano rod is priced the same (basically) everywhere as there is very little mark-up.

Now all you have to do is pry some good shoreline Sturgie holes from the regulars here. My suggestion is to search the sturgeon threads and  PM or email the guys posting as it is more likely you will find 10 carat diamond on the shore than get anyone to post their favorite spots.

Good Luck!!

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.  ~Steven Wright

JL

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2007, 04:29:05 PM »

Thanks for the input guys.

For the 8' owners, do you fish from shore? If so is it sufficient for casting distance?

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2007, 06:40:48 PM »

I fish a 7' From shore. More than enough.