Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New to salmon Fishing.. need tips  (Read 9049 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
Re: New to salmon Fishing.. need tips
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2005, 01:21:03 AM »

October
October is a great month for salmon fishing as coho and chum salmon emerge in all rivers. Chilliwack/Vedder, Stave, Fraser, Capilano, Squamish are just some of the rivers around the Lower Mainland that can be good.

For coho, you can either floatfish with roe, gear fish with lures. This article maybe useful for those who wish to find out more about coho salmon fishing. There are many other articles in the freshwater section that may help you.

blogspotter

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2005, 11:46:57 AM »

hey guys,

Excellent tips!!

thanks Rodney for the season rundown.

BTW, my post wasn't meant to start discussion on what is the right way/wrong way, and if flossing is good or bad, i just wanted an alternative to what i've been shown.

Indeed when i went out with fishing buddy (saturday AM) the fraser was high, fast and very dirty.

Will be trying to find some time this weekend most likely saturday to get in some fishing.

thanks for all the tips guys!

Cheers

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2005, 03:28:26 PM »

BTW, my post wasn't meant to start discussion on what is the right way/wrong way, and if flossing is good or bad, i just wanted an alternative to what i've been shown.

No worries blogspotter, the willingness to learn new techniques is always welcome. As long as you are employing a legal method, whether your action is right or wrong is subjective and only yourself can be the judge of that. Personally I have never targeted sockeye salmon in freshwater and don't intend to as there are so many other fisheries going on at the same time that are even more enjoyable. At the same time, choose not to force someone to fish the way I do as long as their methods meet the requirements by DFO. Although the discussion of pros and cons of Fraser sockeye fishing can sway some away from this fishery, it may also generate more public attention and more people choose to participate as a result. It would be more constructive to allocate the same amount of time and effort on these discussions to consulting with DFO if people truly feel that the current fishing regulations need to be revised and changed.

Like I posted earlier, no hurry, the best salmon fishing comes when September is here.

blogspotter

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2005, 03:57:02 PM »

ok found some examples on the gear and setup..

does this make sense? http://www.steelhead-fishing.org/kwikfishforchinook.pdf

also found this article
http://www.coastangler.com/fishing/bar_fishing_fraser.shtml
that kinda defines the setup, but i don't get it much is the above PDF link relatively what this
guy is talking about? can someone draw the setup for me kinda like in the pdf?

Yes i know i can alternatively go to a tackle store and find out, but here i can ask, think /research make sure and then go to a tackle store to pick up the necessary gear...

Cheers