Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New to salmon Fishing.. need tips  (Read 9050 times)

blogspotter

• I'm a llama!
New to salmon Fishing.. need tips
« on: July 11, 2005, 02:34:43 PM »

Hi all,

Ok i went through as many posts as i can to find something decent enough to start with. (too many posts)

So i finally tried Salmon Fishing (on the Fraser) - by hope.

Anyway, the one thing i noticed on this board is how bad "Flossing" is.. but the buddy i went with says
thats the best/only way of fishing for Springs!

Now, i know there must be better ways, and i want to learn those, make the fishing more "sporty" then
just throw a long leader into the water and "hope" for a fish.

Can you guys let me know what types of setup i'd need for what type of salmon? please keep in mind I'm not fishing from a boat.

There's gotta be more to fishing then Flossing no?

at least i learned how to operate this salmon gear :) a wee bit different than a spinning setup :)

Cheers

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: New to salmon Fishing.. need tips
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 03:49:27 PM »

Where do you plan to do your fishing ?

blogspotter

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 04:07:15 PM »

I'm really not sure, i've seen over past few years how busy it gets on the Vedder, but i read here the fishing
is good there..

so fraser + vedder rivers are it for me, i WILL DRIVE as long as i need to to get to a spot where i don't have
to share 10 feet of riverbank with 20 other anglers.

I think this is the main reason why i never tried fishing for Salmon before.. the sheer population doing this (not even for
sport but more to LOAD their freezers ) is just outrageous.

Are there any spots out there where i can just stand on a riverbank castin' away? i don't even need to catch 20 fish/ day
just want to catch one.. i'm in this for the sport + relaxation, not for stuffin' my freezer :)

I do have a car, so location is really more of a "If its a nice quiet spot, i'm all for it!"

cheers

miketheflyguy

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 04:43:55 PM »

Hmmm....I'm trying to think of a spot where there is no people in a 10ft area.........I'll get back to you If I think of one....

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 05:56:10 PM »

I barfish quite often and most of the time thier is nobody else fishing beside me. I would be glad to take you out for some barfishing sometime. I fish places like Maple Ridge,Ft.Langley,Mission,Aggasiz,Chillliwack etc. The best thing to do is explore and find places with the least amount of snags. By the way pick up the book Fishing Fever it has most of the bars listed in that book and gives detailed descriptions of each bar.

Equipment Needed for Bar Fishing

10-11'6 foot rod thats rated 20-50lbs ( I like the Fraserking made by Trophy XL about $130 ) For Springs
A good levelwind like an Abu 7000 or the cheaper route a Mooching Reel like the Diawa M1 for $69.99
50lb Braided Line ( For Springs )
6'' Fraser Bar Rigs ( Upper River ) or 4'' Fraser Bar Rigs ( Lower River )
Wedge Weights from 14-20oz ( Upper River ) 3oz-6oz ( Lower River )
0 or 00 Spin n Glos in green top chrome bottom or orange top chrome bottom ( Upper River )
Roe ( For Lower River instead of the spin n glos )
You can also try a variety of scents available and soak your spin n glos in them.

Most I have listed is for springs and spring jacks. For coho and pinks its slightly different. Once those fish come into the system just ask and either I or someone else can help. Personally for pinks and cohos I dont barfish as its not as much fun.

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

miketheflyguy

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2005, 07:48:29 PM »

Oh yes pinks and coho.......

Ho whacker

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2005, 08:47:52 PM »

I dont know what everyones problem with flossing is. Although the fish arent biteing you can still have a pretty good fight and end up with a decent fish. Keep in mind that this applys on the fraser, flossing in the vedder is way too easy  and requires no real effort, as I have found out taking 2 1/2 seconds to bring in a coho is clearly little fun.
Theres no fish in the harrison I swear ;)

goinfishin

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2005, 09:00:29 PM »

ok. I want to know. I've tried to look around for the meaning of it, but what exactly is 'flossing'?  i think i may have an idea, but just want to be sure.

No_way

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2005, 09:03:37 PM »

ok. I want to know. I've tried to look around for the meaning of it, but what exactly is 'flossing'?  i think i may have an idea, but just want to be sure.

What it means is that the fish is swimming up stream with is mouth open and then swims into your leader.  As it swims and/or your gear floats by your leader slips along its mouth until it reaches the hook.  The hook stick, you set the hook and "Fish on!".  You see, the fish doesn't take the bait, it's just swimming.

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2005, 09:06:43 PM »

Do a search on "flosssing". There are tons of stuff.

fishingbuddha

• Fishingbuddha
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2005, 10:07:29 PM »

also keep in mind that flossing is different than proper bottom bouncing/drift fishing.  flossing requires the fisher to use a long leader (more than 1 meter). i have seen leaders as long as the fishing rod or longer. this type of fishing is successful when there are large schools of fish. in this type of fishery you are trying to floss the long leader into the open mouth of a fish. therefore, the fish is not biting the lure, you are just pretty much snagging it.

on the other hand, bottom bouncing/drift fishing is a skilled technique when fished properly.  leaders from as long as 12"- 24" are usually used along with pencil lead (my preference) because you can control the speed of what ever bait/lure you are using as well as the depth (with different size corkies/length of leader, size of pencil lead)

this is a very old technique of fishing that steelheaders used long before float fishing or jig fishing came about.

in fact, in a "salmon trout and steelhead"- feb-mar 2001 article written by bill herzog, he tries to rate the steelheading techniques on a degree of difficulty or skill level.  in his mind, bottom bouncing (which he refers to as drift fishing) rates one of the most difficult, tied with fly fishing.
also interesting is the fact that he mentions that although he rated eight different techniques, no technique is really better than the other, it really depends on the water conditions.

i only mention this because previously after giving some ( bottom bouncing )advice to a fellow fisherman i recieved some nasty emails calling me all sorts of names because of my preference for this technique. therefore its just a reminder that there is a difference between flossing and drift fishing (bottom bouncing) and that it is just as good of a technique as float fishing and float fishing with jigs. and in herzog's opinion, much more technical and requires more skill.

cheers

fishing buddha
I hope that when i die, my wife doesn't sell all my fishing equipment for what i told her i bought it for!

bbronswyk2000

• Old Timer
  • Not affilaiated with any club.....
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2005, 10:22:05 PM »

I am not going to get into a debate but BB'ing is not sporting. I do not agree with the method but nobody should be catching and releasing fish using this method. If you must BB than please just catch your limit and stop fishing. I am not going to preach but just use this technique for the fish you intend to keep. I am already tired of the debates but I dont want new people getting the wrong idea. Bottom Bouncing is not intended for sport fishing its intended for meat fishing.

The End......

Belong to the "4 F Club"
Fishing, Football, Fitness and Family

miketheflyguy

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2005, 10:23:27 PM »

Oh my! I'm not flossing properly.....I normally use a 2.5-3ft leader for chinook and try to for sockeye if I'm fishing in a less crowded place and I do quite well.....

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2005, 11:10:33 PM »

I am not going to get into a debate but BB'ing is not sporting. I do not agree with the method but nobody should be catching and releasing fish using this method. If you must BB than please just catch your limit and stop fishing. I am not going to preach but just use this technique for the fish you intend to keep. I am already tired of the debates but I dont want new people getting the wrong idea. Bottom Bouncing is not intended for sport fishing its intended for meat fishing.

The End......

Long travel transiting fish should not be C&R'ed no matter how they are caught.   These fish won't play out, and then live.   They will likely make it up river, but not to their spawning ground, and die before getting there :(

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2005, 01:17:04 AM »

blogspotter, salmon fishing in the Fraser has not really started yet because condition has not been ideal. Water level has been unusually high and it appears to be rising once again, water visibility is almost zero.

I shall break down what types of salmon fishing are available by the months first. If there are other questions, feel free to ask.

July
Currently the only fishery that is opened is chinook salmon that are heading up to the Fraser River tributaries. Sockeye salmon fishing is currently closed, meaning anglers should not be targeting and releasing sockeye salmon specifically. Sockeye salmon from different Fraser River tributaries return into the system at different times. Right now, we are expecting the early Stuart sockeye salmon to return. This population of sockeye salmon is threatened and that is why there is a closure for all fishing sectors. The original estimate of this return is at 250,000 fish at 50% probability level, but the latest test fisheries have indicated the fish are either very late or the return is way lower than expected. As of July 7th, it was estimated only 12,000 fish had passed through Mission. At this rate, the entire run will not exceed 100,000 fish. The low escapement obviously paves a dangerous future for this stock, therefore DFO has asked anglers to fish selectively by avoiding hooking any sockeye salmon when fishing for chinook salmon. If you do hook a sockeye salmon, handle the fish with extreme care to ensure its smooth journey up the river.

Other chinook salmon fishing opportunities available in July include fishing for them at creek mouths where cleaner water runs into the dirty Fraser. Vedder River also has a red chinook salmon fishery in July, the fishing doesn't usually become good until mid or late July. Fishing method employed for this two fishing opportunities is the usual float fishing technique. Simply use a foam float set a few feet above your hook. Bait such as roe works very well. You can also try a piece of red or orange wool to entire them.

Capilano River has coho salmon in July and based on the latest reports fishing has been fairly good this week. The coho are generally fairly small, 1 or 2lb would be the average size. Fishing with roe at first light is usually productive.

August
Once the Fraser River drops and clears a bit (if it'll actually happen this year), barfishing for chinook salmon should pick up. To barfish, you need a rod that is strong and stiff enough to cast a weight that is up to 16oz. The rig is casted out and allowed to anchore on the bottom. From the weight, a 2 feet leader is attached with a spin n glow that sits just above the hook. The spin n glow rotates fast in the water due to the current, and often a chinook salmon will bite it. The rod is secured on a rod holder. When the fish bites, it usually hooks itself automatically and the rod will start bouncing in the holder.

Once the test fisheries show escapement is met, DFO will announce for a sockeye salmon opening. Usually this takes place around early August but it varies slightly due to condition and timing of the fish return. This is a popular fishery due to the value of the target species.

Around late August, some pink salmon will start to emerge in the Fraser River.

September
We can expect an opening for pink salmon this year. Pink salmon are aggressive and will take a lure with no hesitation. A light spinning rod (4 to 8lb test) and a medium spinning reel (Shimano 2500 series) are ideal for this fishery. Here's something I typed up earlier last week about pink salmon fishing in the estuary Fraser:

Location and Timing

Pink salmon should start to emerge at the Seymour River mouth in North Vancouver, Cates Park in Deep Cove around mid to late July.

For estuary Fraser River around Delta, Richmond, South Vancouver, pink salmon usually arrive in good numbers during the last week of August, but the good fishing happens during the first two weeks of September.

For Richmond, you may want to try Garry Point Park. Fish the slower, calmer waters such as the small bays in the park. During incoming tide, schools of pinks will arrive and stop for a bit in the bays before moving on. Dyke Road from No. 3 Road Pier to the junction of Gilbert Road can also be good, mostly during the last two hours of incoming tide. Park your car at the lots at the southern foot of No. 3 Road, walk west and fish along the rocks. If you are fishing there during the first two weeks of September, there will be many other anglers fishing for them too. North Arm of Fraser River that divides South Vancouver and Richmond can be excellent during the last two weeks of September.

Tide is a crucial factor when fishing at the above locations. Generally the period between two hours before and after peak tide is best, but I have also done very well at times during low tide.

Gear

When the pink salmon are abundant, almost all artificial lures will work. There are however some colours, patterns that I have found work better than others. Pink, orange, green have been the more successful colours for me. a 1/4 spoon painted pink almost never fails. Simply cast, count five seconds, and slowly retrieve. Don't lift the rod and take the lure out of the water too soon, as they often will follow it to shore and only commit in the last second.

For rod, reel and line, I recommend a 6 to 8 feet long light spinning rod rated between 4 and 10lb. For a reel that will stand up to the fight, choose a Shimano 2500 front drag model. For line, maxima Ultragreen 8lb test is still light enough for the pinks to put up a great fight, but durable in the long run.

Check back on the forum for openings and closures. Currently salmon openings after August have not been determined, and will only be announced when the season gets closer. The estimated 2005 Fraser River pink salmon return is at 16 million fish (at the 50% probability level forecast) so an opening in September is more than likely.