Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Atlantic salmon roe  (Read 9714 times)

Bill

Atlantic salmon roe
« on: March 21, 2013, 04:43:06 PM »

I was at my local tackle shop yesterday and the topic came up about a local supplier sold this shop Atlantic Salmon roe. The owner of the shop did not notice this until one of his customers mentioned that the roe was not the normal size and there was a difference in color. The shop owner called his supplier and asked him what is up with this roe he bought, well he was told that it is Atlantic Salmon roe and it is legal to sell in B.C.. The owner of the tackle shop told the supplier to come and get his roe which he did and went on to explain that there was no local B.C. roe available at that time?  Now from what I have been reading the virus is in the roe, is there a chance this virus can survive right up to the point were it is used for fishing, I found this very odd that this roe is allowed in our system.

Bill

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Atlantic salmon roe
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2013, 06:34:44 PM »

I was at my local tackle shop yesterday and the topic came up about a local supplier sold this shop Atlantic Salmon roe.  Now from what I have been reading the virus is in the roe, is there a chance this virus can survive right up to the point were it is used for fishing, I found this very odd that this roe is allowed in our system.

Bill
What virus might that be?

Bill

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2013, 08:47:16 PM »

ISA Virus. Infectious Salmon Anemia

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 10:10:15 PM »

I was at my local tackle shop yesterday and the topic came up about a local supplier sold this shop Atlantic Salmon roe. The owner of the shop did not notice this until one of his customers mentioned that the roe was not the normal size and there was a difference in color. The shop owner called his supplier and asked him what is up with this roe he bought, well he was told that it is Atlantic Salmon roe and it is legal to sell in B.C.. The owner of the tackle shop told the supplier to come and get his roe which he did and went on to explain that there was no local B.C. roe available at that time?  Now from what I have been reading the virus is in the roe, is there a chance this virus can survive right up to the point were it is used for fishing, I found this very odd that this roe is allowed in our system.

Bill

I doubt a wild fish would even want to eat that stuff..........   ::)
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2013, 08:07:35 AM »

I doubt a wild fish would even want to eat that stuff..........   ::)
Lol!  Good line af ;)

silver ghost

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2013, 12:16:23 PM »

To answer your question Bill, if the atlantic roe is infected - and there is a high chance that it is - then it is possible for the virus to remain dormant in the roe and be spread to wild river. However, many factors would act against the virus from the point it was harvested to the point that it is used - i.e., frozen and thawed multiple times, microwaved, etc. - which would reduce the chance of transmitting the live virus from the farms to the wild river.

However, the fish you are catching likely already have the virus or something else, as they would have likely swam by multiple fish farms at least twice - during outmigration, and upon their return.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2013, 01:32:47 PM »

I am kind of curious, where would Atlantic salmon roe come from?
Wouldn't fish farms harvest salmon well before they become heavy with roe?

Fisherbob

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2013, 01:36:14 PM »

To answer your question Bill, if the atlantic roe is infected - and there is a high chance that it is - then it is possible for the virus to remain dormant in the roe and be spread to wild river. However, many factors would act against the virus from the point it was harvested to the point that it is used - i.e., frozen and thawed multiple times, microwaved, etc. - which would reduce the chance of transmitting the live virus from the farms to the wild river.

However, the fish you are catching likely already have the virus or something else, as they would have likely swam by multiple fish farms at least twice - during outmigration, and upon their return.
Are they eggs from the Washington Atlantic feedlots?  Really doesn't matter. Their wild salmon have to swim past their farms and could pass that bad stuff onto our wild salmon.   
« Last Edit: March 22, 2013, 03:38:31 PM by Fisherbob »

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2013, 03:39:49 PM »

ISA Virus. Infectious Salmon Anemia

I'm curious Bill. Which of the salmon farms or hatcheries is infected with ISA?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2013, 06:20:34 PM »

I'm curious Bill. Which of the salmon farms or hatcheries is infected with ISA?

It's difficult to tell..... the feedlots keep their disease records secret.
Disclosure:  This post has not been approved by the feedlot boys, therefore will likely be found to contain errors and statements that are out of context. :-[

absolon

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2013, 08:35:25 PM »

Another one of your pointless trademark non-answers. Come back when you have some facts that might answer the question.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2013, 08:50:00 PM »

but are committed by law to report any outbeak of several diseases, including ISA.  Hasn't happened... if ISA was compromising farmed Atlantic's there would be thousands of morts and Ms. Morton would be wetting her pants in glee.
Last I heard she was asking for more money to further the eradication of salmon farms in BC, considering running in the May election and lastly, quitting the whole thing because not enough Canadians were backing her.  Tomorrow may be different.

Silver ghost, why do you think there is a "high chance" these eggs are infected with ISA?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2013, 09:03:40 PM »

Another one of your pointless trademark non-answers. Come back when you have some facts that might answer the question.

Good to see at least one person is reading my responses.....

shuswapsteve

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2013, 09:21:47 PM »

What did the Cohen Final Report have to say about ISA....or maybe Justice Cohen was being secret also?

alwaysfishn

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2013, 09:37:11 PM »

What did the Cohen Final Report have to say about ISA....or maybe Justice Cohen was being secret also?

You need to put away your Cohen history book already..... that's old news.

Show me some disease reports from specific feedlot locations that have been recorded since Cohen forced the feedlot industry to provide them for his review....