Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: hooks  (Read 5746 times)

The_Roe_Man

• I like ROE!
Re: hooks
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2005, 08:06:30 PM »

Were can somebody get big packs or large quantities of gami hooks.
I like ROE

FISHIN MAGICIAN

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2005, 09:03:59 PM »

If you are straightening out Gami's..you may want to rethink how much pressure you are putting on those fish.., mind you I only fish with Gami's in the Salt..and I have NEVER straightened out a Gami, even with 25lb test being fished on a 10.5 foot Shimano Mooching Rod and pressuring some of those fish to the MAX! ......I usually fish with 4's, 5's and 6's, depending on what fish are around, what guests I am guiding, and so on...

Must have been a bad batch...

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2005, 10:21:52 PM »

I tried Youvella and after a while I stopped liking them - I had a few hook actually break. On a snag they would bend out once - and after I bent them back with pliers, they would even break on fish. I find Gammis overpriced. I honestly like Eagle Claw bronze only. The onlt problem with the bronze is the barb you have to pinch but that's aprt of my pre-cast ritual. THe Silver and Black are not sharp enough out of the pack. I like the long taper point of the bronze. I use size 4 for the Vedder Coho, Steelies and Springs. I use the bronze 3/0 for bb'ing in the Fraser. Good tough hooks that sharpen up nice. I like to touch up my hooks often. Gammi do have the superior "out-of-the-pack" point but they're never the same if you have to sharpen them.

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2005, 10:22:50 PM »

Were can somebody get big packs or large quantities of gami hooks.

Nikka industries

Rieber

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2005, 10:25:41 PM »

Was it the eels or the body that drifted through?  :-X

allwaysfishin

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2005, 11:27:46 PM »

i recently landed a 6 1/2 foot healthy fraser sturgeon using a 5/0 gami. I am not sure how to estimate weight of a fish this size as measuring was not in the cards. I would say somewhere between 150 to 180lbs plus, using 80 lbs tuf plus main and 50 dacron izorline leader on a hali/sturgeon rod and a penn 320 gt with the drag on maximum. I figure that after 40 minutes 'something' in my rig would give, i was after all firmly rooted on the dock and could not chase this fish. After several scorching runs, peeling more than 1/2 of my 300 yard spool of line, this fish came to hand(s) and was released quickly. That barbless gami (standard hook with barb pinched, not the new barbless style) held fast and is still in use today. I'll never use any other hook for salmon or any game fish bigger than the average salmon than a standard gami with the barb pinched flat.