Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: For those who fish the Capilano (weirs information)  (Read 3056 times)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
For those who fish the Capilano (weirs information)
« on: July 13, 2005, 12:09:43 PM »

There has been some misinformation in the past and some folks have thought that maybe the weirs by Squamish First Nation at the Lower Capilano River were illegal. The weirs take the form of either rock weirs or occasionally shopping cart weirs. DFO has produced a one page information poster that should clarify the questions that readers have. If you still have any other questions, please forward them to info@fishingwithrod.com.

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/fishy_news/050713-1.html

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
Re: For those who fish the Capilano (weirs information)
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2005, 03:34:51 PM »

Hmmm.....

From reading that, the river didn't previously go through their land.   Could it be rediverted, since they have no long standing claim to the fish in the river?  (Just sitting over here stirring ;) )

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2005, 05:11:20 PM »

TIME TO GO AND TAKE DOWN THERE WIER'S

C.F

Remember couple of years ago, there were some well meaning members of this board that was going to tear down the weirs that the Squamish Band erected above the highway bridge. They invited the press and media only to find out the DFO declared that it was legal

fisher88

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2005, 06:35:54 PM »

in the thing it says that the weirs can cover 2/3 of the river. Is that just me or is that a hell of a lot!?!.
If you aint dutch you aint much!

scalper66

• here fishy fishy
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2005, 10:48:44 AM »

dont they put the tipped shopping carts for the other 1/3rd?

FISHIN MAGICIAN

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2005, 05:27:42 PM »

Basically what the shopping carts do is block the areas where fish would access the area above the pool, and depending on the level of the water, most of the fish choose to seek refuge in the deep pool until the water rises.

The thing about the FN group that practices what they are doing down there, they don't realize the harm that they are doing to their own image and the image of their communit, and while they do as they feel and are entitled to do what they do, they still do it until some bureaucrat comes up with the wherewithal to change the wording of that regulation.

Personally, I have seen that pool, all the people snagging in there, and seen people that look white to me...(oops..did I just say that?), it is a total slap in the face, and the passers by that have seen their activities have made and passed judgement on the very individuals that decree their very own injustices--social, economic, and political off and on reserve land!