Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Casting Abu 6500  (Read 5162 times)

Double Underhooks

Casting Abu 6500
« on: July 11, 2005, 12:03:56 PM »

Just picked up an Abu 6500 and tried casting this type of reel for the first time after taking a quick look at the manual.

After setting the 'brake' to the correct tension, casts were decent but not far by any means. Loosened the brake and you know what happened...BIRDNESTED bad (with tuffline on). I'll try again, thumbing it and loosening the brake as I get better at this...

Anyhow, just wanted to make sure its ok thumb the spool with tuff line on. Better ask then to severe something, those lines are SHARP.

By the way, whats a decent distance to cast with a 10'6" convergence using a 2-4oz?

Thanks

fisher88

Re: Casting Abu 6500
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2005, 12:44:33 PM »

i have the exact same setup!!!! and i had the same problem :'( :'(
If you aint dutch you aint much!

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2005, 12:59:41 PM »

Anyhow, just wanted to make sure its ok thumb the spool with tuff line on. Better ask then to severe something, those lines are SHARP.

By the way, whats a decent distance to cast with a 10'6" convergence using a 2-4oz?

Thanks

Yes, it's perfectly OK to thumb the spool. When you're starting out, try lobbing the weight while getting use to thumbing the spool.

lunker

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2005, 01:11:22 PM »

I had a similar experience when I first started using my 6500.  I mostly use this reel for driftfishing, so I run tuffline as a mainline (20lb, green) and usually a float on the mainline with a sliding egg sinker (1/2oz) and swivel, then a mono leader and lure of choice.  With this setup the reel casts great because the float gives enough wind resistance to slow the rate at which the line pulls off the reel.  If you try and cast lures or a bottom bouncing rig without a float, there is very little air resistance and the line zips off the reel too fast, giving you a birdsnest.  If you try and adjust the brake to eliminate the birdsnest, it will overcorrect the tension and you will not cast as far as you should with the given weight.  I think that the centrifugal brake on this series of reels is not large enough to be effective when casting lures or weighted rigs(unlike the 7000 series, which has a larger brake and much better at casting lures without having to thumb the spool).  So basically, you have to use your thumb to moderate the spool during the cast.  Tuffline is actually very nice as a mainline, because it has a much nicer texture than mono so thumbing the spool works great, just takes some getting used to.  And unless you somehow manage to tangle the line around your thumb before trying to make the world record distance cast with a 10 oz betty, I don't think you have to worry about any injuries (except maybe your pride ;).  Hope this helps.

Double Underhooks

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2005, 01:40:46 PM »

Thanks for the input guys,

A little practice and hopefully I'll get the distance I want w/o the nesting. Just feel better knowing that I'm not putting my thumb into anything dangerous  ;)

Hey Fisher88, where did you get your setup? you can PM if you'd like.

lucky

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2005, 08:49:43 PM »

Always a good idea to spool it with a cheaper mono line until you get the hang of casting it, will save you bucks in the end. I used to go practice casting in the park near my house to get the hang of a new reel. Better to get over that learning curve in a park then on the river fishing.

chump

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2005, 10:23:03 PM »

pure practice, no manual needed, after you get around a million casts , it will come a little easier

Sterling C

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2005, 11:32:51 PM »

It depends on what action your rod is. Typically you can expect to be able to cast further with a stiffer rod.
Actions speak louder than words.

Double Underhooks

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2005, 09:23:59 AM »

Thanks for the tips guys. I went out and practiced casting yesterday, eventually I was able to turn the brake off and thumbed it before it hit the water. The weight just flew and the splash (when the weight hit the water) was minimal!
Casting in itself is pretty entertaining  ;D

Biffchan, does the action rating=stiffness of the rod? If so, then a slow action is better for casting then?

pinkwool

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2005, 10:46:27 AM »

then a slow action is better for casting then?
Slow action means - slow. Fast action - fast. You will cast further with a fast action rod.

Double Underhooks

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2005, 11:14:01 AM »

Thanks for the clarification Pinkwool.

In what case would a slow action be better than a fast action rod then  ???

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2005, 03:38:50 PM »

Stolen off the 'Net (Google folks...)

Action: An elusive, but important characteristic of fly rods. Rods are said to have fast or slow action. Fast action rods are generally stiffer overall, but bend more at the tip, generating higher line speeds longer casts, especially into the wind. Slow action rods, appear to flex their entire length, giving the sense of a more compliant feel.

lunker

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2005, 03:58:20 PM »

The rod action that works best for you in a particular situation(good thing this is a family site, otherwise I'd be tempted to make a joke or two ;D) depends on a few different things, a few of which are the type of liine on your reel, the type of fish you are after, and the style of fishing you are doing.  Personal preference always plays a part too.  Generally, slow action allows the rod to absorb energy from a fighting fish and also soaks up some of the energy the angler delivers to the hook in the fish's mouth while trying to reel it in.  For example, if you are fighting a soft mouthed fish like a pink a soft rod action will decrease the chance of the hook tearing or popping out of the fish's mouth during the fight.  Similarly, if you have a no stretch line like a braided line as a mainline then a slower action rod will decrease the chance of a fish throwing the hook.  For driftfishing I like a medium or medium-fast action graphite rod, for spinning one of my favorite rods is actually a medium action fiberglass.