Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stave River, October 5th 2014  (Read 2235 times)

penguinabc123

Stave River, October 5th 2014
« on: October 05, 2014, 03:09:15 PM »

Went out for sunrise today until about 1145. Lots of
Chum splashing around at the toilet bowl. Fished the mouth into the Fraser as well. Didn't see anything caught, did see two lost battles unsure of what with. Had maybe one or two bites, tried drifting jigs and tossing spoons.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 03:17:45 PM by penguinabc123 »

Zackattack

Re: Stave River, October 5th 2014
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 04:24:19 PM »

Someone posted a similar report on Sharphooks, perhaps the water clarity/low levels is making even chum less reluctant to bite. Was scouting there last week and nothing was splashing. Dead..
Like all of the local rivers even the Stave needs rain to warrant more water being released from the dam.

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 05:43:51 PM »

Ya scouted all the coho spots in and around the log booms saw no surface action. seemed like trout and chum in the toilet bowl. Last year at this time I was able to find coho. ???

Floated jigs just below the dam saw some black chum landed, but nothing for us. Still early.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 07:59:58 PM »

. I dont know if its always been this busy but the rivers are definitely over crowded.

It's about to get busier after these threads. ;)

leadbelly

• Old Timer
  • Dont pitch it out, Pitch in!
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 09:48:29 PM »

Its always been busy busy. worse since we lost the parking lot on one side and half the street parking on the other~ everyone crowds to whatever spots they can walk too.
And the Stave is no secret lol

typhoon

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 07:10:57 AM »

It's about to get busier after these threads. ;)
No Coho. No fresh Chum. I'm staying away.

banx

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014, 01:51:14 PM »

I was also at the stave on sunday morn for first light,  lost 2 coho and 2 chum very quickly. coho on a blade and chum was swinging a fly.

there was an amazing trout show for about 10 minutes because of a pretty impressive hatch right at dawn.......  There was a boat anchored up in the 'toilet bowl'  (great name for that spot  ;D)  that hooked and landed a coho shortly after I lost mine.  left about 10am.

caught alot of chum on gear back in the day. but fighting them on a single hand fly rod was an absolute blast.  need to explore this little river more.

Ambassador

« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 04:04:25 PM »

We were there Sunday morning also across the bowl from you. Saw that boat land one and that was the last action we saw until after lunch (aside from them jumping around and teasing us all day).
I had a very cool thing happen that sounds like complete bs - but I'll tell it anyway. Was about 100 yards downstream from the "Toilet Bowl" around 1pm with not much going on and a chum started swimming towards me about 6 inches from shore in literally 6 inches of water. I reached for my GoPro to get a close up of him swimming by, and as I did he struck at my bootlace! Scared the shite out of me as I definitely didn't expect that. Next week I'm throwing a piece of that lace on my jig and a hook on my lace. :o
"Perhaps fishing is, for me, only an excuse to be near rivers"
Roderick Haig-Brown

canso

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 06:26:22 PM »

What time did you see the boat land one?

banx

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 08:32:24 PM »

in the bowl, I think before 7....  he was casting a blade/spinner as well...maybe 4 other guys on shore before the boat anchored up.

short window for bites..... two guys had some fun also for a few mins when no one else was there...I snagged a gnarly chum after a lull and left the bowl to swing flies.... 2 very short fights also immediately then a whole lotta nada.