Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tips to lead to a successful bar fishing outing. Your advice is appreciated.  (Read 3208 times)

DanTfisherman

Well, each year I say I am going to give bar fishing a try, and each year I put it off.

As a kid, I used to barfish with a spinning rod and "plunker" style weights, but it has been a while since I have done that.
So, let's talk about what I have and what will likely work out best for me to try.

I have a Fenwick  1165, which I believe to be a heavy bar rod in an 11 and a half foot length.
I also have a mid 70's Ambassadeur 7000.  I know how to cast it, but am concerned about winging out big weight.
I have some 16 and 20 ounce rectangular block weights.
I have some big spin-n-glows.
I have hooks in size 3.0 and 4.0
I have leader material in 20 and 25 lb test.
I have a 12 foot aluminum boat with a 15 HP motor to get me around to a few not too far to travel places.

I think I lack the bell thingies, a big net and do not have a big spike to stick into the ground to hold my rod.

So, overall, I am kinda set to get going.
Here is my experience to date.
I had a hard time casting the heavy weight the one time I went out in the past.  I seemed to wing it hard and then got a big birdsnest.  From here, a buddy "gently" cast out another set-up for me, but it did not seem to go very far.  We did not get fish, although I do not think he had a lot of experience at this either.

1.  So, what is the easiest way to cast out the big weight and how far out does it need to go?

2.  When I am looking for these "fishing lanes", what am I looking for and how do I find them?  What type of structure do I need to look for?

3.  How do I avoid snags found on the bottom, or snagging up my outfit?

4.  How much weight is needed for what types of waters?  How do I know what types of water and what kinds of speeds to look for which would be good and may hold fish?

5.  Finally, if I can get out to a gravel island/bar, is there a "better" part of such islands to look at setting up and try fishing?

6.  Oh, and finally, with such a rod and reel outfit as I have, (7000 reel with likely 25 lb test line) with a decent sized fish in the 25 to 30 lb range, would I most likely be looking at (keep in mind this is an "on average" type scenario:
a.  being able to hold it and play it from where I am, eventually bringing it in.
b.  kinda hold it, but mostly be walking it down the bar until it tired and washed up on shore.
c.  hopping in the boat and having to chase it down the river, where I may eventually bring it to shore, but would likely have to make a mid-river netting.

Your pointers and tips would be appreciated, not only for me, but maybe some others out there. ::)

Dano

BigFisher

• Old Timer
  • Bite My Hook

Its a timing game, but some days will pay off big.... ;)

1) when casting the big weights, let the weight do the work, you shouldnt have to put in much effort.
2) Its tough to know where these lanes are but the fish will take the path of lest resistance, which is what a receeding bar offers, I find 4-10feet depth is the zone.
3) You cant avoid snags, its part of fishing, but you can reduce losing your gear by downsizing your bar weight leader, so when your weight gets stuck between rocks you can break off without losing the rest of your rig.
4) Youll know you have enough weight when your rig doesnt start bouncing down river...
5) The better part of the bar is where all the old timers are fishing, get to know them and youll get to know the river a little better.
6) 25 test is more then enough. You can obviously land a fish without moving, but why take the chance of putting more stress on the line and hook which could lead to the hook ripping out of the mouth of the fish. ( Iv seen many close calls to fish caught, a thin piece of lip cartilege) Some of those spring get so big your only chance in hell would be to walk the bar or take the boat out.

most bar fishermen are nice and will bring there gear in as you move down the bar, but they too will be itching to get there lines back out as soon as possible because one fish usually means more are coming. The water is still muddy and fast, so use the biggest glows you can find, and add scent to it... The fish should be closer to shore too, and finding a area were clear water is spilling into the river will help increase your chances.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2009, 02:25:06 PM by BigFisher »
The Bigger The Better!

firstlight

• Old Timer
  • I'm a llama!

The most important thing is getting to the bar.
If you dont know the river i would suggest going with someone who does.
I wouldnt fish with anything lighter than 40 lb.
Get your bells at the co-op not a tackle store.

TheChumWhisperer

What is the co-op??

hue-nut

• Old Timer

you want a beefy leader so that you spin & glo doe's not wear right through it.

chris gadsden

• Old Timer

you want a beefy leader so that you spin & glo doe's not wear right through it.
Thats correct, I use 50 or 60 pound test. ???

DanTfisherman

Thanks for the advice and suggestions so far.

So, I see it suggested that 25 lb test is good.  I also see some suggestions of moving up to 50 lb test for the main line, and maybe even the leader.

When we are suggesting 50 lb test, I have a few questions.
Even in the salt on my mooching reels, the heaviest we usually went was 25 to 30 lb test.  With that set-up, if you hooked bottom when jigging, or had a seal "capture" your fish, it was super difficult to break the line off.  How does this affect "breaking" the line in case of a snag, or a giant Spring you just may not be able to catch up to?  Especially if the mainline is 50 lb test?

Also, with such a thick diameter line, how does this affect the holding capacity of the reel? (abu 7000)

Finally, are most people going with 50 lb monofilament, or a 50 lb tuffline, or braided line of some sort?

In addition, what size, color, and style of Spin-n-glows would be good for a novice with not much equipment?
Also, any suggestions as to what size, style, and number of weights to go with?
Oh, and do people use a spacer bar/bar rig set-up to seperate the weight from the leader line, or some other set-up?  How long should the leader be from the swivel to the hook?  Short, or is longer better?

So many questions.  Thanks for your tips and patience.

Dano

Sam Salmon

• Old Timer

A few essential components have yet to be mentioned.

Comfortable folding chair.
Sunshade.
Cooler w/complete ingredients. 8)
Ghetto blaster.

EDIT-25# main is lots and heavy leader will protect you from whatever on the river bottom.

People caught lots of fish before spectra fibre allowed anglers to use over test line and brag about their size on the net. ::)
« Last Edit: July 01, 2009, 02:00:46 PM by Sam Salmon »

glx

• I'm a llama!

50-65 lb braid or 25-30 pound mono will do fine for main line.  Heavy leaders as mentioned by others is crucial, 50-60lb required I find.  Hooks from 5/0-7/0 is what I use depending on the size of the glow.  1-3 beads are usually placed between the glow and hook. 

David_R

You must be fishing in really fast current to need 20oz weights. Sometimes the shape or structure of where you are fishing determines what kind of weight to use, certain shapes hold differently on different bottoms... Square, triangle, round-ish all are good for different places, if it's a rocky bottom or sandy bottom. If the bottom is really snaggy you might want to just use a big length of pencil lead so you're not constantly losing weights.

Getting to know the bar you're fishing helps quite a bit, study the current as it goes past and try to think about likely lanes of travel the fish will use to get up that point of the river. Look for where the slow water meets the faster water

jetboatjim

• Old Timer
  • catching poachers.

Dan when I get my boat back we'll go out.