Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fishing 2020  (Read 4083 times)

4TheKids

Fishing 2020
« on: March 28, 2016, 11:48:40 AM »

Is this a harbinger for good fishing in 2020? I thought an eruption was one of the reasons for the huge 2010 Sockeye run. Maybe the 2019 Pink run will also be good.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/pavlof-volcano-erupts-1.3509548

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
Re: Fishing 2020
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 12:28:08 PM »

Fortunately or unfortunatly that ash will have to go around the world before the bulk of it lands in the northern Pacific...

ShaunO

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 12:30:49 PM »

I'm going to step out on a limb and say YES! 

In January 2006 there was a volcanic eruption (Mt. Augustine in AK) which resulted in a huge amount of volcanic ash being sent into the atmosphere.  I remember this very clearly since I was working at YVR and we had a large spike in aircraft landing there as the airport in Anchorage was closed due to the ash clouds.  This went on for some time however before Anchorage reopened to air traffic.  It was a popular theory in 2010 that the size of the Sockeye return was partly attributed to the eruption 4 years prior.  The theory goes that volcanic ash provides essential nutrition or contributes to the food chain for zooplankton, phytoplankton, plankton, krill, etc.  If this is true, then the bottom portion of the food chain was getting a massive dose of nutrients required for their their existence.  It was thought that the abundance of lower food chain food was geographically in the right place at the right time for the Fraser sockeye in their developmental years. 

Anyways, I'm just some guy on the internet, and I love a good storey as much as the next guy.  I don't know of any papers that were conclusively able to link these two phenomena together, but the topic of seeding the ocean with volcanic ash has been repeated in the news.  The Haida Salmon Research Corporation contracted a company to conduct some very controversial seeding experiments but the results do not appear to be very clear either.

Have a read for yourself.

http://www.earthisland.org/journal/index.php/elist/eListRead/impact_of_last_years_rouge_ocean_fertilization_experiment_still_unclear/

Lots of interesting material to read but it might leave ones head spinning, but if the Pavlof volcano continues to spew ash into the atmosphere for a few weeks, we should know by 2020 if a possible connection truly exists.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2016, 12:32:29 PM by ShaunO »

ShaunO

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 12:38:52 PM »

Fortunately or unfortunatly that ash will have to go around the world before the bulk of it lands in the northern Pacific...

"The plume of ash emitted from Pavlof Volcano has risen to about 37,000 feet and is extending for 400 miles to the northeast, as of Monday morning, according to the Alaska Volcano Observatory. "

It's 600 miles to the northeast before it reaches Anchorage.  Looks like jet stream is taking the ash plume towards the Gulf of Alaska and away from Russia.  Pavlof is on an island that is part of the Aleutian archipelago that is in the north Pacific.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2016, 09:00:13 PM »

If the water temps allow it...I think we are in for another record year.

wphow

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2016, 11:22:27 PM »

dereke

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2016, 08:58:55 AM »

always a student

BananasQ

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2016, 09:08:18 AM »

People are still at this nonsense? Holy smokes...

I dunno - I am pretty sure that the poor returns we have had are due to a large radioactive lizard in the pacific eating all the salmon.

Dogbreath

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2016, 03:51:01 PM »

a large radioactive lizard in the pacific eating all the salmon.
What's his handle here?