Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: deer lake monsters?  (Read 11026 times)

purplehelmet

Re: deer lake monsters?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 10:05:09 AM »

Thx..  Guess I need my 9wt!  My 5wt may be too light.  I live in N. Bby., so may give it a try...
It's NOT good for the smoker!

300zxfairlady

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 10:19:46 AM »

Ahh.. Never thought about snagging a carp :p I bet they must be fun if you had the right gear.
Yea burnaby lake really is too weedy for any good fishing unless you had a float or row boat.
I have seen some people fish from the far south beach area but have no clue how to get there.

frozensalmon

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2012, 10:25:19 AM »

are they good meat? tasteful?
more coho, more coho... ::)

300zxfairlady

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2012, 10:42:03 AM »

are they good meat? tasteful?

Well in asia, their a delicacy. I had caught a small carp when I was younger and braught it home to have my uncle ask if it was for dinner.. ;D

But I probally wouldn't eat any carp that comes from deer lake or any sloughs in this area for that matter..

Ken D

« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2012, 12:22:52 PM »

From Izaak Walton's the Compleat Angler back in the day:

http://anglicanhistory.org/walton/angler/chapter9.html

And your paste must be thus made: Take the flesh of a Rabbet or Cat cut small, and Bean-flowre, and if that may not be easily got, get other flowre, and then mix these together, and put to them either Sugar, or Honey, which I think better, and then beat these together in a Mortar, or sometimes work them in your hands (your hands being very clean) and then make it into a Ball, or two, or three, as you like best for your use: but you must work or pound it so long in the Mortar, as to make it so tough as to hang upon your hook without washing from it, yet not too hard: or that you may the better keep it on your hook, you may knead with your paste a little (and not much) white or yellowish wool.

And if you would have this paste keep all the year for any other Fish, then mix with it Virgins wax and clarified honey, and work them together with your hands before the Fire, then make these in to balls, and they will keep all the year.

And if you fish for a Carp with Gentles, then put upon your hook a small piece of Scarlet about this bigness [__], it being soked in, or anointed with Oyl of Peter, called by some Oyl of the Rock, and if your Gentles be put two or three dayes before into a box or horn anointed with honey, and so put upon your hook, as to preserve them to be living, you are as like to kill this crafty fish this way as any other: But still as you are fishing chaw a little white or brown bread in your mouth, and cast it into the pond about the place where your Flote swims. Other baites there be, but these with diligence, and patient watchfulness, will do it better than any that I have ever practised, or heard of: And yet I shall tell you, that the crumbs of white bread and honey made into a paste is a good bait for a Carp, and you know it is more easily made. And having said thus much of the Carp, my next discourse shall be of the Bream, which shall not prove so tedious, and therefore I desire the continuance of your attention.

But first I will tell you how to make this Carp that is so curious to be caught, so curious a dish of meat as shall make him worth all your labour; and though it is not without some trouble and charges, yet it will recompence both.

Take a Carp (alive if possible), scour him, and rub him clean with water and salt, but scale him not, then open him, and put him with his bloud and his liver (which you must save when you open him) into a small pot or kettle; then take sweet Margerome, Time and Parsley, of each half a handful, a sprig of Rosemary, and another of Savoury, bind them into two or three small bundles, and put them to your Carp, with four or five whole Onyons, twenty pickled Oysters, and three Anchovies. Then pour upon your Carp as much claret wine as will onely cover him; and season your claret well with salt, Cloves and Mace, and the rinds of Oranges and Lemons, cover your pot and set it on a quick fire, till it be sufficiently boiled; then take out the Carp and lay it with the broth into the dish, and pour upon it a quarter of a pound of fresh butter melted and beaten, with half a dozen spoonfuls of the broth, the yolks of two or three eggs, and some of the herbs shred, garnish your dish with Lemons and so serve it up.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2012, 03:32:11 PM »

So Ken, when you try this let us know how it tastes  :D... do you even have carp in your neck of the woods??

Fillibert

« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2012, 05:17:06 PM »

Do you even need a carp for that recipe?

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2012, 06:51:54 PM »

I think a chunk of burnt cedar would do.

chronicfisher

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2012, 08:27:30 PM »

was out there for a late night stroll and saw and heard some interesting things.what swimming there at night?the look rodent like is it beavers?? and kept on hearing huge splashes like something breaking he surface water.also did noticed a man fishing there at night time with 2 rods.is he after trout?carp?ogopogo?

Fillibert

« Reply #24 on: May 03, 2012, 10:19:53 PM »

There's a resident beaver crossing the river every morning and night. You can see him come out once in a while close to the boat dock. There are minks there too. I've seen some come out by the floating dock on the south side. And make sure you report ppl with 2 rods.

Noahs Arc

• Old Timer
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2012, 10:28:54 PM »

I've never been to this lake, but if you accidentally sneak up on a beaver in the water he will let you know he's there when his tail smacks the water on his way down. Or muskrat they look like a beaver with a rat tail but smaller

chronicfisher

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2012, 10:29:38 PM »

There's a resident beaver crossing the river every morning and night. You can see him come out once in a while close to the boat dock. There are minks there too. I've seen some come out by the floating dock on the south side. And make sure you report ppl with 2 rods.

sorry still trying to learn all the things here didnt know it was not allowed.are you allow to fish at dark?

300zxfairlady

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2012, 11:23:06 AM »

sorry still trying to learn all the things here didnt know it was not allowed.are you allow to fish at dark?

I believe you are able to fish after dark but no for salmon?, you arnt aloud to fish with 2 rods on land however you are allowed 2 rods on the boat.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2012, 11:41:26 AM »

Night time closures are implemented specifically on individual rivers and lakes where needed. For example, salmon fishing is only permitted during daylight hours on the Harrison and Chilliwack River, yet no such night time closure is in effect for Capilano River. Generally, there isn't a night time closure for freshwater fishing. If there is, you'll find it listed in regulations for the particular rivers or lakes where you are fishing.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/changes/1113/region2.html

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/fm-gp/rec/fresh-douce/region2-eng.htm

Fillibert

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2012, 11:20:53 PM »

Probably has to do with current just in case u fall in. And about the beaver I was stalking it once and stumbled upon a duck that made lots of noise and startled the beaver. So the tail thing making lots of noise it true.