Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: deer lake monsters?  (Read 11025 times)

300zxfairlady

deer lake monsters?
« on: April 17, 2012, 09:20:12 AM »

After work yesterday the clouds began to open up lettin through the gorgeous sun. So I decided to go try out my new ultralight rod and reel I had just baught. Since deer lake is only minutes away I thought I'd give it a try even though it hadn't been stocked. After a couple casts some action on the water surface caught my eye some 200 feet away. What looked like a huge splash, I figured was just a loon. Only a minute later to see another huge splash, this time I caught the shape in my peripheral. I stopped fishing and watched the lake surface.. I finally saw a fish atleast in the 10-15b range fully jump out of the water. I was shocked as I know there are only carp, catfish and stocked trout in the lake. I couldn't figure out what these monsters were! Catfish I believe are bottom feeders and rarely surface, and carp are timid as I never seen carp jump and it was way too massive to be any stocked trout. I threw my spinner to where I saw the multiple splashs, on the retrieve my line titghted, I tugged figuring I had casted into a bunch of reed only to have my ultralight rod bent 90 degrees and my 6lb line squeel and race off my reel, my drag was only set to catch panfish! I wasn't ready for such action. Bystanders stood in disbeliefe as I was hanging on my rod and praying the fish would stop peeling my line. "Pop" was the sound as the last of my line snapped off my reel flingging my rod back at me. I still don't know what it was.. Can you guys shed some light on what had just happend to me yesterday?

Oops Snagged

Re: deer lake monsters?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 11:03:53 AM »

It was most likely a brood stock trout put in there by FFSBC
Oh, I caught another stick.

joshuag232

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 11:07:41 AM »

Maybe you snagged a carp. I have seen them splashing around in that lake before

jimmywits

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 11:30:41 AM »

After work yesterday the clouds began to open up lettin through the gorgeous sun. So I decided to go try out my new ultralight rod and reel I had just baught. Since deer lake is only minutes away I thought I'd give it a try even though it hadn't been stocked. After a couple casts some action on the water surface caught my eye some 200 feet away. What looked like a huge splash, I figured was just a loon. Only a minute later to see another huge splash, this time I caught the shape in my peripheral. I stopped fishing and watched the lake surface.. I finally saw a fish atleast in the 10-15b range fully jump out of the water. I was shocked as I know there are only carp, catfish and stocked trout in the lake. I couldn't figure out what these monsters were! Catfish I believe are bottom feeders and rarely surface, and carp are timid as I never seen carp jump and it was way too massive to be any stocked trout. I threw my spinner to where I saw the multiple splashs, on the retrieve my line titghted, I tugged figuring I had casted into a bunch of reed only to have my ultralight rod bent 90 degrees and my 6lb line squeel and race off my reel, my drag was only set to catch panfish! I wasn't ready for such action. Bystanders stood in disbeliefe as I was hanging on my rod and praying the fish would stop peeling my line. "Pop" was the sound as the last of my line snapped off my reel flingging my rod back at me. I still don't know what it was.. Can you guys shed some light on what had just happend to me yesterday?
Definitely a Carp, I've seen them surface like that a number of times while fishing in my pram. They get huge!

cutthroat22

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 11:59:05 AM »

Definitely a Carp, I've seen them surface like that a number of times while fishing in my pram. They get huge!

Yup seen the carp rise as well.  The only thing not adding up for me is the carp hunting down a spinner.

jekern1015

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 12:04:40 PM »

Here in Utah the carp are always coming out of the water right around the time they spawn. I believe it helps loosen the eggs up so they can spawn.

RG

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 12:28:58 PM »

Carp definitely school up and come to the surface.  I've seen carp so big they were eating apple cores floating on the surface.  I have heard of carp hitting lures but I have never seen it and I have done a lot of carp fishing back in Ontario, likely snagged when you casted towards the school.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 03:04:58 PM »

"Catfish" here in BC are not the brutes some people know from the Southern Mississippi area or around Winnipeg - they are Brown Bullheads which don't get longer than about a foot and have a nasty and poisonous spine in their dorsal fin. I have seen carp jump.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 03:34:58 PM »

I agree with joshua, most likely you foul hooked a carp. Those jumpers are definitely large carp, pretty common sightings during this time of the year. :)

chen

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 04:40:07 PM »

good time to put up a fight with those big fishes

go

Paulo

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 09:52:08 PM »

I once hooked a 8lb carp on a ultralight in Silvermere with a spinner bait looking for bass. Talk about hanging on for dear life. Most likely a carp.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 10:38:52 PM »

Carp get BIG in that lake, trust me. I remember one day, just before dark, I went for a walk and I could see several huge carp right by the dock! I have friends that fish the lake and they have pulled out some big ones.

purplehelmet

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 10:52:52 PM »

What do you use to catch these?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 11:03:58 PM by Rodney »
It's NOT good for the smoker!

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 11:38:27 PM »

What do you use to catch these?

Bread, corn and dough. Even PowerBait Eggs have worked. But now I prefer to target them on the fly, more of a challenge. 

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 12:39:57 AM »

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/articles/coarse_fishing/the_underestimated_golden_ghost.html

Lilly pads and weeds make carp fishing from shore difficult at Deer Lake.