Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: anybody here use a daiwa luna 103 or 203?  (Read 7514 times)

anybody here use a daiwa luna 103 or 203?
« on: January 07, 2011, 03:00:42 PM »

just wondering if anyone here uses the diawa luna 103 or 203, wondering how you like it for casting spoons. cant make up my mind if i want a luna or calcutta so looking for some feedback to steer me in a general direction. any advice is greatly appreciated.
420-|WiSh'[N] I WaS FiSH'[N]|-247

bigblue

• Old Timer
Re: anybody here use a daiwa luna 103 or 203?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 03:40:56 PM »

If you are targeting salmon/steelhead, I think a 253 might be a more versatile choice.

There is not much weight savings going to the smaller model and I use a 253 spooled with 150 yards of Power Pro 30 lbs braid line.
The braid is suppose to be same diameter as 8 lb mono, but a new 150 yard spool will fill to about 4mm from the rim, which is ideal for my use.
I have not filled it with mono, as I use braids mostly, but actual line capacity could be less than stated in the spec sheet.
Same thing happened with my Daiwa Tierra 3000 spinning reel which is rated at 240 yards of 8 pound test. I filled it with Power Pro 30 lbs (8 lbs dia) braid and could not spool the entire 150 yards and had to leave some off.  If you are going to use 20 lbs braid, you could use the smaller reel, but thin braids are harder to work with especially when it is cold.

So do check around how much line the 103 and 203 actually holds, before you make your decision.

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 03:52:28 PM »

I use a Luna 253L and love it for chucking spoons for coho, dollies and steelhead. Not sure you'd want to go much smaller if you're targeting salmon. I use mono on my reel and I go with 12lb (I don't like losing expensive lures). With the smaller sizes I doubt you'd get enough capacity.

You can't compare the Luna's so the Calcutta B series reels (which are about equivalent in price). The Luna's are far superior. The Calcutta TE is more comparable but also more expensive.

oni_kage

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2011, 09:32:42 PM »

another reel to consider is the new curado 200e.

They sell on ebay for $150 shipped and you can't really beat the value.

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2011, 09:53:26 PM »

thanx for the replys. i will be useing it for salmon mainly casting small koho spoons for coho and springs, and smaller crocs for dollies. i was worried about the 253 being too big for tossing smaller spoons, and thats why i was looking at the smaller 103 or 203 models. what kinda rods are you pairing the 253 with? i was looking at some gloomis rods in the 7-9 ft lengths to get the castiing distance. thanx again for the feedback.
420-|WiSh'[N] I WaS FiSH'[N]|-247

DionJL

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2011, 12:21:12 AM »

I have the Sage CT290 for my Luna. It's one of the nicest setups I own.

bigblue

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2011, 10:33:06 PM »

If you are going to use the luna for spoon fishing, look for a moderate action casting rod to help with accurate/easier casting of lighter spoons.
Most casting rods in tackle stores are made for either float fishing (fast action) or mooching (slow action), so might not be suitable as a dedicated spoon rod.
Also depending on the terrain of the river (wide open vs restrictive casting space) you will mostly fish and the type of spoon fishing you would mostly do (pocket fishing vs. deep sweeping), a spinning reel could be a better choice for spoon fishing. If you are going to use one rod for all your salmon fishing needs, then definitely buy a baitcasting reel/rod and use it for both spoon and float fishing.  In this case, a good medium/fast action rod could be a good compromise all around salmon rod.   

Trout Slayer

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2011, 06:25:42 PM »

I use a Luna 253L and love it for chucking spoons for coho, dollies and steelhead.

You can't compare the Luna's so the Calcutta B series reels (which are about equivalent in price). The Luna's are far superior.
DionJL you get your Luna fixed? Last time I saw you using it was f*%$#&