Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: What makes a good spinner for Salmon?  (Read 3218 times)

3/16ths

What makes a good spinner for Salmon?
« on: September 15, 2009, 03:41:05 PM »

Last year, a fellow downstream of me was just nailing Chum's, one after another.  The action for the rest of the anglers fishing the run was intermittent.  He was short-floating a home-made spinner.  I was short-floating a #4 brass blade.  His was a medium sized spinner, with light blue and flourescent pink components. 

My question is, what made this spinner produce so well for him?  Was it the size? The colors maybe?  I'd like to make some spinners, but don't really know where to start with the colours.

3/16th's
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 04:14:17 PM by 3/16ths »

~IvAn~

• Old Timer
Re: What makes a good spinner for Salmon?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 05:10:29 PM »

It could be......size, color, type of blade, and how he is presenting it.

mattyo

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 05:48:11 PM »

I've been with a buddy fishing the exact same setup, float depth, line ,leader length and test and the same spinner. He would hit fish and I would get skunked??? Its all about the presentation! But I don't think you can go wrong with a Blue Fox.

koko

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 06:00:03 PM »

All size and different color work depending on the condition of the river speed, color, weather. Nothing as one size fit all. when fishing for bait, different lure, jigs, fly, all have tricks and techniques about it, that what make fishing so interesting. I am just learning every day. By the time you feel good about yourself is time to buy a bigger vest to carry the things you think it work.

koko

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 06:03:42 PM »

I've been with a buddy fishing the exact same setup, float depth, line ,leader length and test and the same spinner. He would hit fish and I would get skunked??? Its all about the presentation! But I don't think you can go wrong with a Blue Fox.
He could be a 5 foot away from a better hole than you too, luck maybe.

hue-nut

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 06:24:03 PM »

it all depends and there is really no answer to this question cause there are so many variables. I would say just try stuff where you know there are fish and see what works.

rhino

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 08:22:45 PM »

last year i went to the train bridge to try and catch a coho. they guys there were all using roe or jensen eggs an no one had anything yet. so i put on a blade and a few cast later a nice coho was on it. i lost it after a few jumps but i think it was something different that they had not seen that provoked a bite. I have had success with a much slower spin then a faster one.

adriaticum

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2009, 08:49:31 PM »

The way you fish it is way more important then what the colour / size of the spinner/spoon is.
Depth of the lure, speed of the retrieve and spot are much more important.
Watch the guy that's catching the fish and do what he is doing.

Plus some colours do work better for some fish.
Take note of the colours he is using and use them.

Skill first, tools second.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 08:52:45 PM by adriaticum »

Hello

• I'm a llama!
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2009, 08:51:40 PM »

Really not alot of magic in getting chums to hit any spinner.  Coho on the other hand.......... ???

UFC

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2009, 09:48:13 PM »

The way you fish it is way more important then what the colour / size of the spinner/spoon is.
Depth of the lure, speed of the retrieve and spot are much more important.
Watch the guy that's catching the fish and do what he is doing.

I agree with this post. Presentation is the most important thing. No one presentation is the right way though. You need to change up presentations depending upon water conditions and the type of water you are fishing. As for choice of spinners; brass colorado's under a float are good. My preference without a float is a number 4 Blue fox.
Try different retrieval speeds, different depths (i.e. by putting more/less splitshot on the line), etc. until you find the right combination.

mr.p

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2009, 10:05:13 PM »

Really not alot of magic in getting chums to hit any spinner.  Coho on the other hand.......... ???

Coho love blades/spinners.  Blue Foxes are synonymous with coho.  Roe is my number one.  But colorados come a close 2nd.
Take nothing but pictures, leave nothing but footprints...