Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Will there be a 2004-2005 ice hockey season ?

Yes, an agreement will be reached, we will get to watch hockey.
- 1 (10%)
No, there will be more disaggreements, and the season will be cancelled
- 4 (40%)
There could be a part season...better than nothing
- 5 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 10

Author Topic: Hockey's future season...  (Read 26236 times)

Fish Assassin

• Old Timer
Re: Hockey's future season...
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2005, 11:56:04 AM »

Frankly I'm tired of hearing about the NHL lockout.

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2005, 02:55:23 PM »

Hopefully soon, it'll all be over  ::)

bigguy

• Old Timer
  • what?? You want me to GET OUT and go fishing?
« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2005, 11:40:50 PM »

Where is the options Arean football and dont care becuase baseball starts soon!!!  Let them sit out for another year! >:(

bigguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2005, 11:48:46 PM »

We can argue this point but there is more individual skill needed to play baseball at the professional level then any other sport!  There is a reason why most pitchers can only throw once every 6 days and that is arm fatigue!  It is very unnatural to throw a baseball and the damage it does to an arm is immense! Next time you pitch two innings of hardball measure your arms aroung the elbow area and see the difference you would be amazed!  Sure the play is not overlly physical in terms of bodily contact but try hitting a round ball with a round bat squarely with the ball coming at you on average 88-90 mph and curving dipping or sinking!  It takes far more individual talent then jamming the puck in front of a net and letting everyone slap at it!  This should create some interesting comments!

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2005, 10:59:15 PM »

I think I'll keep my comments to myself after something like that...

And the current lock-out doesn't help my position much...
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

See you all of the water,
Spudcote

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2005, 08:06:28 AM »

OK, I'll take it on Bigguy.  You're right.  The human arm was engineered to throw underhand.  Centrifugal force drives blood down toward the fingers, swelling a pitchers arm by up to 4" at the elbow.  A batter has .3-.5 seconds to disern the rotation of the ball and choose to swing or stand.  Contrary to popular belief, baseball is a very fast game.  Plays are measured in in milliseconds.  The fastest shot in hockey is less than 100 miles per hour.  The average hit ball in the infield is travelling at 150 miles per hour. 

Sorry, were you looking for someone to defend hockey 

bigguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #36 on: February 04, 2005, 09:56:48 PM »

I was!   You impress me with your knowledge!  How would you compare it to basketball!   Do you think that the average sportsfan in Canada really understands baseball as a professional sport?  I know most find it boring to watch!  I love the strategy! And you Gilly?

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #37 on: February 04, 2005, 10:46:21 PM »

Basketball seems to me to be a little too "back and forth" for my liking. In hockey, there's turnovers and it can keep changing directions, but I find Basketball to just go back and forth until one player slips up and causes one turnover to change the entire game, too much time until that change happens, not enough "action" for me...Also, the skill level is higher in hockey compared to backetball in how the players even get payed. Backetball players get paid more, but don't seem to do as much, and there isn't nearly as much strategy. I guess that the whole culture that comes with the sport really doesn't sit too well with me. I realize this is VERY stereotypical of me, but the rap (that comes with a lot of basketball...) culture seems to value materialism by buying stuff, and getting "action"...that's just one of those things that REALLY bugs me..start a new thread if you feel like ranting...hehe  8)

How's that for all you basketball fans... :P ;D
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

Spudcote

bigguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2005, 11:17:52 PM »

I totally agree with you regarding the attitude of the league.  I am not sure who they are trying to draw, the gansters or the normal folk.  When guys like Allen Iverson and the likes become role models then something is definatley wrong!  The NBA needs to look at this! :o

Spudcote

• Old Timer
  • Let the big ones go
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2005, 12:07:57 AM »

I'm glad I'm not the only one who feels this way, I was anticipating hate-mail after posting that...  8)

One thing that did occur to me is to compare how "tough" all these "playas" think they are. They go around talking about doing "stuff." Now compare this to a hockey player, or even a hockey fan. Who's tougher ?

"Put that in you're pipe and smoke it..."

Now back to baseball, I think that the reason it is less popular is because of the amount of tradition and strategy involved. People simply don't want to take the time to sit down and understand how the sport came to be, and what's involved in being successful as a player and as a team. (What I',m getting at is that there's more to it than basketball (are we noticing a common theme here...))

Hockey, on the other hand, cannot really be compared particularly well to baseball. They're VERY different games. There's no goals in baseball, not offside, and the game (in general) simply isn't as fast at all times as hockey. Both games require completely different types of skills (hitting a moving ball with a round bat, compared to hitting a stationary (sometimes) disk with a flat stick). The amount of precision in a "shot" is completely different between the two sports.
Early to bed,
Early to rise,
Fish all day,
Make up lies.

Spudcote

Terry Bodman

• Old Timer
  • A poorly tied fly is better than no fly at all!
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2005, 08:38:37 AM »

Can't disagree with your assessment of the skill level required to play baseball and the difficulty in batting. The jury is still out however, on the difficulty of hitting a baseball and that of hitting a golf ball (accurately of course). In baseball's case the ball is moving at an incredible speed as well as moving at the pitcher's discretion. The golf ball on the other hand is stationary but a 1 degree error at contact means a 20-20 yard error down the fairway. A 2 degree errors and .....?There has been mega research done on this topic with no clear resolution.
"One man of courage makes a majority"

Koho

• I'm an alpaca!
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2005, 01:01:27 PM »

I hear it often that to hit a round ball with a round bat and to hit it squarely is one of the toughest things to do in all sports.
"I'm having fish tonight!"  -Bruce, the Shark in Finding Nemo.

bigguy

• Old Timer
« Reply #42 on: February 08, 2005, 11:23:41 PM »

Well in my many years of baseball and limited years in golf I would agree that hitting that little *&^%er is harder, at least for me!  Golf is an entirely different thing,  I am decent at the sport but it takes a great deal of patience to play the game good enough to be an under 10 handicap.  I think we agree that each sport has it's difficult skills especially at the pro level!  I can imagine pitching in front of a few thousand people but to drive off a tee with 10 people watching scares me to death! :-[

DragonSpeed

• Old Timer
  • Less Computer Time - More fishing Time...yes YOU!
    • My Pictures
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2005, 05:48:10 PM »

I can imagine pitching in front of a few thousand people but to drive off a tee with 10 people watching scares me to death! :-[

Is that because you're afraid you'll hit them? :D

I whacked one right off the heel of a driver once, and squarely into my dad's back.  I have always been VERY careful about making sure all around me were behind me since then  ::)

The Gilly

• Old Timer
  • Let equity be the rule of our actions
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2005, 08:22:33 PM »

Basketball!!!! I'm 5'8" tall.  What would I know about basket ball ;D

Baseball is my game and SS is my fave spot to play. The best batters aren't the ones that hit huge homers, but the ones that can put it into play where they want it to go.  Watch the batters that have an ability to hit lots of singles.  Those are the real skill batters.

I also love Soccer and Football too.  Basketball is OK to play, but can someone explain an illegal defence and what's with all the damn time outs making the last 2 minutes last an hour. ::)

As for golf...I like to play it too, but why would I buy one of those big drivers just to hit the ball further in the bush ;D  You guy's should try and hit it off the tee with my little driver from 1986.  Now that's skill ;D

Back to the hockey.  My drop dead date was Jan 15.  See ya next year...maybe.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2005, 08:30:39 PM by The Gilly »