Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My first sturgeon  (Read 1691 times)

Driller

• Keeping it real.
My first sturgeon
« on: September 11, 2011, 04:05:27 PM »

Bought a small boat to fish the fraser.  Went out to try our luck at some of that crazy bottom bouncing rig-a-ma-role.  Caught a few pinks and a couple of Sockeye.  Had never fished the fraser before from a boat.  I decided earlier in the season that if I were going to fish the big river, I better have some sturgeon rods handy.  Highwater supplied with me with some nice one piece 6.5 footers and craigslist provided me with a couple of Penn 320's.  Found a nice hole, casted out the lines and watched them tap tap tap for two hours.  Changed up the bait a couple of times.  Near the time when our patience was wearing thin one of the rods went down hard.  THe fish, not sure how big it was cuz we didn't measure it, came right out of the water!  Fought it for 20-30 minutes, and somehow got it in the boat for a picture.  Thrill of a lifetime.  I know these fish get bigger, but it was my first one so I was on cloud nine.  My fishing partner was key.  He got the other line out of the water, and helped control the fish at the boat. 
I can't wait to go out for more.

Here is a video of the day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohcaIwAHlz0
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.

kingpin

• Old Timer
Re: My first sturgeon
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 04:41:02 PM »

nice healthy sturgeon probably just under 6'
Im an advocate for the supremacy of the bait fisherman race and a firm believer in the purity of it.

Trophy Fisher

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 07:51:37 PM »

Good job buddy, looks like a fun day.

1son

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 11:23:10 PM »

Right on buddy dino season is in great shape been hooking into a bunch myself lately time to slay some more my friend go luck out there ;D

Dogbreath

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 08:55:56 PM »

Try marking the gunnels of your boat in one foot sections that way once you bring it close you'll have some idea of the size.

Driller

• Keeping it real.
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2011, 09:02:00 PM »

I had some of those on my old boat for trout, but they only went up to 30 inches.  Good idea.  I will do it before my next outing.
Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings.