Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Derby Reach - Edgewater fishing bar  (Read 7010 times)

aaron.az

Derby Reach - Edgewater fishing bar
« on: September 11, 2011, 11:16:36 PM »

I've been fishing at derby reach for around 4 years now, mainly chucking roe. Finally pink season has come so hopefully when the commercial guy are gone it'll pick up again, i've been skunked 3 times In a row now, beautiful weather makes up for it though! Lots of the so called "regulars" that I've talked to have said that it's becoming a poor fishing bar over the last few years, how can it be any different? Anybody else have a say on this bar or any tips? One morething I live inthe Fraser heights area and barnston island is quite close to me, is there spots to fish there (no boat)

UFC

Re: Derby Reach - Edgewater fishing bar
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2011, 11:24:27 PM »

I'm in Fraser heights too. At times you can fish Barnston a hundred meters or so downstream from the Ferry landing, but only if the log booms are not in place, so it's hit and miss.
Also they seem to travel close to the middle there, so it's not great from shore. I've had a few good days there in previous pink years, but there are better bars to try (i.e. I'd rather go to Derby which I had some luck at last week).

NiceFish

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 06:38:05 AM »

Find a bar where it is deep right off the shore line (or rock line)....and the pinks will be right up against the bank

66TWH

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 11:24:36 AM »

I used to fish Derby as a kid and was a productive spot. I am assuming that sediment has built up in that area and does not have that "zone" where it drops off nicely anymore. I have not traveled that far down to date to survey with the sounder to be 100% sure. 
i will give some quick advice because I see alot still hanging down at west end of Derby but have not seen anyone make a little walk up to Muench Bar. The shoreline is good right now that the water has dropped and you can walk a long way casting between the pilings. The water depth is better in this area and still drops off rather well into the 14 -16' range not too far from shore. The schools are folowing this shore line from Golden Ears Bridge all the way to Derby but i think that may be heading out a little to far at that point primarily for shore casters. There are always fish rolling near shore but my sounder shows a main flow in a specific depth along this run of shoreline.
Your guess is as good as mine for anything consistent with tides versus biters. Have not found anything bullit proof day to day but just depends on the fish that are coming thru at any given time. I will only say that the spnners have worked the best.               

jacked55

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 03:57:01 PM »

TRY THE EAST END NEAR THE OLD FORT TRAIL. IT DROPS OFF VERY CLOSE TO THE SHORE AND GETS QUITE DEEP.