Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Jet Boats in the Vedder?  (Read 7098 times)

Psaromania

• "Set the damn hook!!!"
Jet Boats in the Vedder?
« on: November 11, 2021, 06:27:04 PM »

Couldn’t believe my eyes and ears when three jet boats ripped through the drift today.
I thought I was on the Fraser for a minute  :D

In my 25 years fishing this river, never seen that before. Wow!

Dave

• Old Timer
Re: Jet Boats in the Vedder?
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2021, 07:45:58 PM »

In my 25 years fishing this river, never seen that before. Wow!
Really?  Very common in the summer and will probably continue to be until outlawed.

Psaromania

• "Set the damn hook!!!"
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2021, 08:20:58 PM »

I would expect it in summer but not November…

iblly

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2021, 07:48:20 AM »

January 2020 had two pass me above the crossing.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2021, 09:52:24 AM »

I hate those jerks ripping through. Seen it several times, as have others on this forum:

http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=38168
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=32705
https://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=33876
http://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=3414.0
https://www.fishingwithrod.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=40937

Myself and other posters here have wished for years for a ban on jet boats in the river but it hasn't happened yet. Even if the ban were for certain months to protect the salmon, it would be an improvement. I'm surprised that a swimmer or tuber hasn't been hurt by a boat yet during the summer months when the river is much smaller and more densely populated.

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2021, 09:55:52 AM »

I did a news search to see if there had been any accidents and found a couple of recent articles on the topic of jet boats on the CV:

Near-miss: https://www.abbynews.com/news/senior-swimming-in-vedder-river-almost-struck-by-oblivious-boater-in-chilliwack/
Rodney's on the case! https://www.theprogress.com/news/city-of-chilliwack-looking-to-slow-down-boats-on-vedder-canal/

Maybe there is hope after all! Thanks Rod, you're always there working in the background when others just complain online ::)

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2021, 10:11:39 AM »

putting a ban on power boats requires changing regulations of the Federal Navigation Protection Act. For specific waters this usually requires a request from the Local and Regional government. You can imagine power boaters will oppose this and let the 2 local bodies know. It's a lengthy process. I'd like to see a no power boar reg above the Hwy 1 bridge. rec boaters and anglers do sometimes take all sorts of craft up the kW and beyond.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 10:13:17 AM by RalphH »
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2021, 10:38:52 AM »

I did a news search to see if there had been any accidents and found a couple of recent articles on the topic of jet boats on the CV:

Near-miss: https://www.abbynews.com/news/senior-swimming-in-vedder-river-almost-struck-by-oblivious-boater-in-chilliwack/
Rodney's on the case! https://www.theprogress.com/news/city-of-chilliwack-looking-to-slow-down-boats-on-vedder-canal/

Maybe there is hope after all! Thanks Rod, you're always there working in the background when others just complain online ::)

"Fishing guide"?? ;D I actually haven't seen that article...

The jetboat topic has been brought up at multiple meetings this past year, and I know various groups have started communicating with Transport Canada etc. I know the First Nation bands are unhappy with some of the activities.

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2021, 11:14:17 AM »

"Fishing guide"?? ;D I actually haven't seen that article...

ah the press. it's a 'fact' now...next comes the investigation.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

wildmanyeah

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2021, 11:44:58 AM »

I know the First Nation bands are unhappy with some of the activities.

of course if it gets band they will be exempt

I think it’s funny we have one thread complaint about boats and another complaing about loss of land acess
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 12:02:22 PM by wildmanyeah »

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2021, 12:08:05 PM »

Having seen a jet boat go ripping upstream on a Saturday in July when the river is covered in an inflatable hatch, I'm surprised there haven't been more close calls or injuries.

I'd been in favour of jet boat use on the river with speed restrictions and boundaries that reflect water height, fisheries/environmental impact and safety considerations.  For example, running at high speed in June when the water is high, there are no spawning salmon and potential for conflict with other users is low may be OK. Doing the same thing in mid summer or in October is not.                 

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2021, 12:18:58 PM »

Having seen a jet boat go ripping upstream on a Saturday in July when the river is covered in an inflatable hatch, I'm surprised there haven't been more close calls or injuries.

I'd been in favour of jet boat use on the river with speed restrictions and boundaries that reflect water height, fisheries/environmental impact and safety considerations.  For example, running at high speed in June when the water is high, there are no spawning salmon and potential for conflict with other users is low may be OK. Doing the same thing in mid summer or in October is not.                 

I don't think they do seasonal regulations or those related to water height. Given the high degree of use by anglers, tubers & bathers, a speed restriction is certainly justified as would a power boat ban. That's not a boat ban as rowed or drifting craft would still be ok. Power boat use above KW is very limited and very few people would be inconvenienced. 

Blood_Orange

• Old Timer
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2021, 12:31:41 PM »

That's not a boat ban as rowed or drifting craft would still be ok.
Unless the rower is really strong 8)

Rodney

• Administrator
  • Old Timer
  • Where's my strike indicator?
    • Fishing with Rod
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2021, 12:41:14 PM »

What about stand-up paddle boarders? ;D Some were attempting that a couple summers ago.

Lunk Louie

« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2021, 01:23:23 PM »

I also was near-swamped this past Sept fishing/wading below the highway bridge.....when probably the very same jet roared up the west channel, in skinny water, at full throttle not more than 30m from me, causing huge waves/wake to crash into me and the bank. It was all I could do to keep my balance....I was pissed especially after they did the same coming down with absolutely zero regard for theirs or anyone else's safety. I actually wished they would have run aground or something.  8)

That lady was lucky....I've seen/talked to her often over the years during her daily wades around Hopedale below Browne Rd run.....could have been tragic for sure.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 01:27:24 PM by Lunk Louie »