Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Anyone tried TFO Deer Creek switch?  (Read 5581 times)

Chehalis_Steel

Anyone tried TFO Deer Creek switch?
« on: February 26, 2013, 12:36:58 PM »

Hi guys

I've been fishing for salmon and trout on the fly for 10 years now and always got by with regular rods. I have been looking at switch rods for a while now though but can't decide on a brand or model. I'm looking for something under $400 that I can  use to cast heavy sink tips and indicator rigs with split shot better than my 9 ft 8wt I have now. I've been considering both echo and TFO's lower end models. Anyone have any experience with these?

Burkie

Re: Anyone tried TFO Deer Creek switch?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2013, 02:14:48 PM »

Both good rods for the money

roseph

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 02:58:49 PM »

Can't speak on the switches but I have a 7/8 Deer Creek spey as a backup and agree with Burkie there's a lot of value there for what you pay. 

If you don't mind buying used there's an 11ft switch on speypages right now for $280 I think.  Rod is located on the island.

joshhowat

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 12:13:21 PM »

I have a tfo deer creek 8wt. I also have a 7/8 wt dredger g loomis.

Both rods are a joy to fish. The difference one is very affordable.

As for throwing stuff on the tfo. I use a 540 airflo skagit and it can cast t14 with a whole bunny on it across any run on the vedder.
Eat, Sleep, Fish.

BNF861

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 08:15:55 PM »

I haven't cast a deer creek, but I do have a 6wt Echo switch and really like it a lot. I have used it for summer run steelies and pink salmon with airflo rage and skagit heads and its a fun rod to swing around.

kalex60

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2013, 04:33:27 PM »

Take a look at a reddington cpx if you can find one have the seven weight and it chucks

chief

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2013, 08:51:04 PM »

My vote goes to Echo for their warranty and customer service . I have a 8wt Switch and ran over it with an ATV doing beach fishing in Baja !! Driver error 100% !!  Rod was chewed up badly. I shipped the bits back to Rajeff Sports in Vancouver WA with an honest explanation of what happened. They shipped me a new rod and spare tip without question. My cost was only for shipping to/from Vancouver WA.  Check out rajeff sports.com for more info. The rod is great value for the money and works great of the beach or river bank. :)

GENERAL-SHERMAN

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2013, 08:38:49 PM »

x2 for echo. I own both the 4 wt and 8wt echo sr switch rods... a friend sold his deer creek and now owns an echo as well. great rods for the money.

ByteMe

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2013, 09:22:47 AM »

FYI,.........just picked up a 6wt Echo Solo spey rod from Fred's for $179 on clearance,certainly use that for a switch as its only 12'6.I have it matched up to 450gr Airfo Skagit swich line and it flies,np tossing T11 with small intruders.I had a Deer Creek switch but much prefer the Echo for ease of casting and feel
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh