Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wulff Ambush Line for river fishing question.  (Read 7326 times)

Animal Chin

Wulff Ambush Line for river fishing question.
« on: September 07, 2015, 10:05:53 PM »

I've used the search function but just want to get some opinions before I buy. I'm pretty new to things fly. I'm getting an 8 weight and thinking hard on what line to buy... I'm leaning towards a shooting head line (anticipating limited backcast space).

- Wulff Ambush or Rio Outbound Short
- Also thinking of the new Rio Perception Line.

The Rio Perception I picked because it's suppose to be a half line heavier. I'm getting better at casting and gaining confidence but I wouldn't mind a little help. I'm thinking the Ambush and Outbound Short would be good choices for roll casting and one handed spey casts (I"ll give it a go anyways). I figure I shouldn't have a problem loading the rod because of the heavy heads.

I remember talking about spey type lines on a single handed rod with one of the guys at Pacific Angler. He mentioned that it really annoyed other beach fishers at Ambleside because the line basically scares off the fish for those around. The Ambush has a 20 ft head and is 290 grains.

If I'm looking to fish places like the Vedder and Stave, frog water etc. for coho, chum, steelhead (?) Is the Ambush line what the guy at Pacific Angler was referring to? Will a 290 grain 20 ft head spook fish in slow moving or pool like water?

Do you guys know what I'm talking about?

The Ambush is also supposedly not great at mending, would this be a huge problem?

Thanks in advance.

Flytech

• Old Timer
  • Wishin' I was Fishin'
    • The Fish Addict
Re: Wulff Ambush Line for river fishing question.
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2015, 06:48:08 AM »

If I'm looking to fish places like the Vedder and Stave, frog water etc. for coho, chum, steelhead (?) Is the Ambush line what the guy at Pacific Angler was referring to? Will a 290 grain 20 ft head spook fish in slow moving or pool like water?

Spey really isn't great in Frog Water situations in my own opinion, they're better off for medium speed rivers. I will sometimes Spey for chum in the Stave, but only cause I've got a big rod that will handle them. I never use them in the super calm areas, and only when other fishermen aren't close by (which is hard during salmon season in the stave)

The lines are big and heavy, and tend to splash if not perfectly cast. 290 grains is lighter than anything I use for salmon/steelhead. My Spey rods are 7 and 9 wt.

ByteMe

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2015, 07:53:02 AM »

have been using a Wulff ambush 8wt 290 gr on my 7wt CPX switch rod for a long time..........no probs. When I indicator fish I just add a couple of split shot to a 9ft tapered Salmon/Steelhead leader, when swinging flies, I replace the 9ft leader with a fast sink poly leader, if you are a good caster you can toss 10ft of T8 tips too with the 8wt, btw, I use it for OH casting for beach fishing too , IMO, best overall, most versatile line ever made
There is more Bull S**T in fly fishing than in a Texas cattle yard
                                         Lefty Kreh

Animal Chin

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2015, 06:39:47 PM »

Guess I should have clarified a bit, I'm pairing the Ambush line with a single hand 8 wt fly rod. Traditional fly fishing.

I was just wondering if 290 grain 20 foot head coming down in frog water would spook fish in quiet water.

Good to know that I can use the the 8 wt line with a 7 wt switch rod if that day ever comes... I'm not planning on using a spey rod. Also good to know the Ambush is good for beach fishing as well because I do plan on giving that a shot as well.

Thanks.

« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 06:41:22 PM by Animal Chin »

ByteMe

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2015, 07:13:28 PM »

Guess I should have clarified a bit, I'm pairing the Ambush line with a single hand 8 wt fly rod. Traditional fly fishing.

I was just wondering if 290 grain 20 foot head coming down in frog water would spook fish in quiet water.

Good to know that I can use the the 8 wt line with a 7 wt switch rod if that day ever comes... I'm not planning on using a spey rod. Also good to know the Ambush is good for beach fishing as well because I do plan on giving that a shot as well.

Thanks.

Check the thread 5 down from yours, should answer your questions, BTW, I also use the 8wt Ambush on my Sage 8wt 890 SH rod, a very versatile line
                                         Lefty Kreh

Animal Chin

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2015, 07:53:23 PM »

Check the thread 5 down from yours, should answer your questions, BTW, I also use the 8wt Ambush on my Sage 8wt 890 SH rod, a very versatile line

Sweet. Thanks. I'm going to give it a try.

So the 8 wt Ambush is fine with your 7 wt switch? You're able to spey cast with it ... for Vedder steelhead?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2015, 08:14:47 PM by Animal Chin »

ByteMe

« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2015, 08:45:40 PM »

So the 8 wt Ambush is fine with your 7 wt switch? You're able to spey cast with it ... for Vedder steelhead?

Yep, I just put on a 109gr Rio fast sink versileader on the Ambush when I use  my switch rod, 60-70ft spey casts without any probs, u can spey cast with your SH rod too ,that  was the original intention of the Ambush, but it gets quite tiring after a while  and on my 8wt SH, I just take off the versileader and put on a 9ft tapered leader and indicator and a couple of split shot and I'm nymphing
                                         Lefty Kreh

ByteMe

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2015, 09:05:59 PM »

Couldn't reply to your pm, something about an error.................but my gear is quite a few years old and heavy, if I was starting out as a beginner, I would look at the Redington Dually switch rod as an example, it only weights 5.2oz, you can SH cast it all day or spey cast with it, you have the best of both worlds in one rod, at only $250Can or cheaper.......it's a no brainer, great rods too, lifetime warranty, or if you're rich the Beulah Platinum switch at 5ozs for $600
                                         Lefty Kreh

nickredway

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 08:35:09 PM »

Either will work fine with your 8 weight single hander, neither are stealthy lines but you can toss big junk, heavy polyleaders and even sinktips with them. If you want to chuck smaller flies and light polyleaders for Coho in frog water I'd go with an 8 weight Airflo 40+. You don't have to spey cast with these lines, over head works fine if you have the room. Spey rods have their advantages in lots of situations, but you can't beat the feel and fight on a single hander IMO. Here's a nice sea liced one from the Vedder last year in early December.

Animal Chin

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2015, 09:23:48 PM »

Nice fish!

Yeah, I can't make up my mind.. someone I fished with highly recommended the Airflo 40+ as well.

$225 SH or $500 SH (with line), 7 wt switch rod ??? Decisions decisions. Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 09:31:30 PM by Animal Chin »

halcyonguitars

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2015, 08:29:50 PM »

Nickredway, what species is that?

tburns

« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2015, 09:54:59 PM »