Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fraser tribs for pinks on the fly?  (Read 2965 times)

andrew5

Fraser tribs for pinks on the fly?
« on: September 10, 2013, 04:54:45 PM »

Hi guys,

Being a guys that prefers to fly fish, and the slower than anticipated success with gear on the tidal Fraser, I'm thinking of switching it up and trying some of the tributaries.

I have fished them all, just not for pinks. Does anyone have a recommendation? Stave, Chehalis, suicide creek etc.

Thank you,

Andrew

HOOK

• Old Timer
Re: Fraser tribs for pinks on the fly?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 05:19:13 PM »

Stave there is none. Suicide also none. Chehalis should have some but unless your hiking to the mouth there isn't much good fly water. Vedder is your best bet or try along some of the bars on the Fraser

I hardly fish gear on the Fraser or pinks and normally outfish the lure/spinner guys

some bars fish better than others but you can explore  ;)
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

RalphH

• Old Timer
    • Initating Salmon Fry
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2013, 07:09:15 AM »

DFO posts a limit of 2 for pinks in the Stave. I haven't fished there in years but remember seeing spawned out carcasses. They may plant them as part of the dam mitigation. Basically you are looking at the Fraser, Harrison and Vedder as the best opportunities for pinks. The Harrison is later than the other 2 but usually fishes well at the mouth starting around now as fish from the Fraser typically stray into the lower end around the Native fishing access.
"Two things are infinite, the Universe and human stupidity... though I am not completely sure about the Universe" ...Einstein as related to F.S. Perls.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 04:39:22 PM »

yes I know the Stave has a 2 pink limit however I have never met anyone that can prove there is any in there. I hear it gets some, like a few hundred maybe and they turn quickly and race for the dam. Basically the same occurance with the chum, turn fast and race for the dam area, top end spawning areas

I haven't fished the Stave in years because the gong show is too much for me to watch and keep my mouth closed. I do usually head out onto the islands though which does help to ignore the shenanigans
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Sandman

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 05:45:10 PM »

yes I know the Stave has a 2 pink limit however I have never met anyone that can prove there is any in there. I hear it gets some, like a few hundred maybe and they turn quickly and race for the dam. Basically the same occurance with the chum, turn fast and race for the dam area, top end spawning areas

I haven't fished the Stave in years because the gong show is too much for me to watch and keep my mouth closed. I do usually head out onto the islands though which does help to ignore the shenanigans

I took my boat up there last week while fishing around Crescent Island but did not see any signs of them in there, nor even in the Fraser around the Mouth.  I do have distinct memories of runs in past years though.
Not all those who wander are lost