Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: fly fishing advice  (Read 5933 times)

apollo

fly fishing advice
« on: May 25, 2010, 08:01:22 PM »

Hello all. I am super new to fly fishing (I don't even have my gear yet) and I am going to be heading out to Cultus Lake in mid June for a couple of days. I would very much appreciate if anyone could help me out with what king of flies to get, how to fish them ( technique), and whatever other things i should know. I did take a fly fishing seminar with Vic from STS guiding but I have yet to do anything on my own (scary). Thank You for listening and I am eagerly waiting to hear from you.

dennyman

• Old Timer
Re: fly fishing advice
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 09:42:11 PM »

Apollo: Cultus lake is probably not the best lake to learn fly fishing on. In June, especially as the weather gets warmer, your main goal will be to try and avoid getting hit by the speed boats on the lake. I would probably hit some of the other lakes in the Lower Mainland to practise your fly casting. Some of the other members have already posted their success on some of those lakes. One other thing you might consider  doing is some flyfishing on the Vedder in July.  As long as you limit your catch and practise proper catch and release techniques you should have fun. I am sure the folks at Fred's Custom tackle can line you up with some flies that should work.

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 09:58:53 PM »

As long as you limit your catch and practise proper catch and release techniques you should have fun

Or...you could catch and kill your limit every day and have a hoot, too.

dennyman

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 10:09:42 PM »

Clarki: making smartass remarks like that especially to new members looking for advice does nothing for the sport.  The Vedder gets hammered hard enough during the salmon season.  ::)

k.c.

• A bad day fishing beats a good day working
    • west coast bass anglers
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 10:13:00 PM »

youtube is your friend! type in fly casting or fly fishing lessons, failing that go visit your local tackle shop for help :)

clarki

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2010, 08:16:35 PM »

Clarki: making smartass remarks like that especially to new members looking for advice does nothing for the sport.  The Vedder gets hammered hard enough during the salmon season.  ::)

On the contrary, it does alot for the sport. ;D He asked for tackle and technique advice and you included an unsolicited morality mini-lecture couched as advice. Now THAT does nothing for the sport.  There is nothing unethical about killing your limit. As long as our friend is obeying the law, I say fill yer boots and have a hoot.

And what does the Vedder have to do with it...

Every Day

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2010, 08:33:51 PM »

On the contrary, it does alot for the sport. ;D He asked for tackle and technique advice and you included an unsolicited morality mini-lecture couched as advice. Now THAT does nothing for the sport.  There is nothing unethical about killing your limit. As long as our friend is obeying the law, I say fill yer boots and have a hoot.

Vedder "trout" are Steelhead smolts.
I have no problem targeting them and catch and releasing them but can't stand when people are killing 4 or more a day.

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2010, 03:48:50 PM »

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 09:58:53 PM »  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote from: dennyman on May 25, 2010, 09:42:11 PM
As long as you limit your catch and practise proper catch and release techniques you should have fun

Or...you could catch and kill your limit every day and have a hoot, too.

On the contrary, it does alot for the sport.  He asked for tackle and technique advice and you included an unsolicited morality mini-lecture couched as advice. Now THAT does nothing for the sport.  There is nothing unethical about killing your limit. As long as our friend is obeying the law, I say fill yer boots and have a hoot.

The Vedder has nothing to do with it.
The question was on what to use if they were fly fishing and your "club everything you hook" mentality  adds little if anything to this thread or the sport.
and I request the mods to Modify/delete the offending posts,  Including mine!

Let's get back on track!

« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 04:08:12 PM by Fish or cut bait. »

apollo

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2010, 04:05:08 PM »

You guys are arguing about something that is not applicable (meaning I would never eat anything from Cultus Lake). All i am asking is if someone can give me an idea of the "best" 1/2 dozen flies tht should catch me some fish. Thanks

Fish or cut bait.

• Old Timer
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2010, 04:14:14 PM »

I've never fly fished there but searcher flies (wooly buggers, spratleys.....) are a good start on any lake, and after you find the response to colour, retrieve, depth you can refine your fly if an apparent hatch isn,'t helping.
Too much to soak in in a forum banter.
Good luck and hopefully someone will pipe in with some useful info.

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2010, 07:54:33 PM »

apollo, why would you “not eat anything from Cultus Lake”?
In the past several years thousands of  Northern Pikeminnows have been removed from this lake, creating a very favourable environment for other predators.  I think the fishing on Cultus could be quite good, at least until the speedboats and water temperatures increase.

koko

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2010, 11:45:16 AM »

Learn all the safety & regulation first and enjoy the great sport.

apollo

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 03:46:53 PM »

thanks for the info. Dave I wouldn't eat the fish from there because I dont trust how clean the water is. Besides I usually practice catch and release ( most of the time ). I hope i didn't offend you.

newsman

• Old Timer
  • Dude what's a llama?
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 05:43:03 PM »

Personally I have landed buckets of those fish on the Shuswap with Nation's Silver Tip, and my Dolly Whacker, in the Thom it has been Tom Thumb and Stimulator.
Till the next time, "keep your fly in the water!"

Dave

• Old Timer
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 07:24:01 PM »

apollo, certainly not offended, and admire your C&R ethic, just curious how you have concluded fish from Cultus Lake are unfit to eat?
 I’m familiar with pretty much most of the water quality/contamination/pollution issues with Cultus.  For sure there are problems as you would expect from any lake that has an est. 3 million visitors annually, but ….. data available for this lake, (and there's lots … Google Cultus Lake sockeye) does not indicate any reason not to eat fish from this system.