Fishing with Rod Discussion Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: gearing up for Tunkwa  (Read 3616 times)

andrew5

gearing up for Tunkwa
« on: May 10, 2010, 12:41:46 PM »

Hi all,

I am ready to head to Tunkwa this weekend with my dad and brother (first time for all of us).

just wondering if any of you had any tips on what to bring/what to expect to make this a great father/son trip.

I am planning on bringing a good assortment of trolling flies and chironomids, but was wondering what some of the mid-May favorites for everyone might be? Also, are the fly prices reasonable up there, or should I stock up on a few before heading out?

also, any areas of the lake to target, or general strategies to land some bos would be greatly appreciated. I have been out several times this season already and have been skunked thus far!

Thanks in advance to everyone!

Todd Oishi

• Maple Ridge, BC
    • Innovative Fly Fisher
Re: gearing up for Tunkwa
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 12:45:28 PM »

Chironomids, Pumpkinheads, Dragonfly Nymphs and Sparkle Scuds have all worked well for me at this time of year...

Good-luck!!!
>>>http://innovativeflyfisher.com/forum<<<

For me, the quality of a trout is not measured in pounds and inches, but rather by the journey and circumstances that allowed our paths to cross...

wizard

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2010, 12:51:18 PM »

I fished tunkwa at ice off.  fish were really shallow and feeding on big leeches big scuds and boatman and water beatles.  by now little chironies should be hatching.  I've always liked to troll a ostrich style leech or idaho nymph on intermediate line.  good luck with the wind.

BCfisherman97

• Old Timer
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2010, 03:31:01 PM »

Trolling Pumpkinheads with a sinking line just off the botton works very well.

HOOK

• Old Timer
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 01:12:23 AM »

my best 2 chironies in that lake have been a Green with white bead (like a lightish shiny green) and Gunmetal chromies both in size 12's

I have pumped fish that had small chironies and yet they would slam my bigger one all day long  ;D It can be a bit tricky finding the better areas for steady chironie action though due to it being so shallow everywhere. When i used to troll i found that green damsels always got me fish in that lake.

If you want to chironie fish you should go over to the sister lake LEIGHTON as it has some good shoals and stuff  ;D I actually prefer that lake out of the two.
Check out our new blog

http://funonthefly.blogspot.ca/

Damien

• Old Timer
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2010, 12:54:14 PM »

Looking forward to a report.  I am there the weekend after May long. 

grease line

« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2010, 09:38:37 PM »

Always have a few good looking leeches on hand. And Bombers!

wizard

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 05:37:42 PM »

hey andrew how was your time at tunkwa last weekend?

ricer

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 03:10:59 PM »

I went to Leighton on the 22nd and it SUCKED!  rain, wind, snow and hail that hurt when it hit the hands...coooold.  However the chironomids were hatching all day.  Mostly small neon green.  Every now and then a few bombers would show but nothing consistent.  When the sun did come out once in a while it was nice but the fishing was slow.  i think everyone on the lake hooked one or two now and then.  We caught five each but only one worth mentioning (18").  The tunkwa website report was very similiar.