Fishing in British Columbia > Rod Building

Changing a baitcaster rod into a center pin rod

(1/4) > >>

CohoMan:
Hi guys/gals

I have a 3113MB in the form of a baitcaster. Would it be economical to strip the base and put on a CP base instead?

Thanks

typhoon:
You would have to rebuild the bottom half and at least the first guide on the top half.
Centerpin rods use high, spinning style guides to get a smooth flow from reel to running guides.
Cork is one of the most expensive components so that won't be cheap, and there is a lot of effort to remove the old grip and reel seat.
There's also the danger that you damage the blank and have to buy new.

I build my own rods, but if it were me I would sell the BC and build a CP rod. Used CP rods are often available.

bobby b:
The guides on my newly built CP rod are not 'high spinning type' ....  Don't know that they nesessarily have to be..

The spine of the Baitcasting rod and the CP rod may be on opposite sides though....  bottom side on a Baitcast rod,  top side  on a CP rod

EZ_Rolling:
I had 2 bait casting rods converted to CP at Sea-Run

Very pleased with the results.

Dave:
Over the years I have converted about a dozen BC to CP rods.  As typhoon says it's not cheap and often the most difficult part is removing the old reel seat.  If this is a custom rod by a good builder, the seat most likely will have to be cut off using a Dremel tool with cutting discs ... labour intensive and dangerous too.  Again, I'm with typhoon; save your money and sell this rod.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version